Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I never learned them, never taught them, and don't do them currently, but I think I might like to.

one more thing to practice...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    one more thing to practice...
    There's a never ending supply of "one more things". Makes me feel all warm and gooey inside.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think backbends look good on me. My face flushes too easily. I don't do them and don't teach them unless specifically asked. I would not teach a layback style one because they are so bad for the back!

Post Thanks / Like

In my secret heart, I am the mistress of deep standing backbends! All my students excel in the art and are in demand throughout the world for their incomparable backbends.

In reality, I embraced the cult of the AmCab cheater backbend early on and left the dramatic bends to the gymnasts among us. I envy, but do not emulate, much less teach, deep standing backbends.

Post Thanks / Like

So at my dance lesson last night I mentioned backbends and my teacher told me some exercises I could use to try to work my back bends. She said her teacher refused to teach back bends because they can hurt people, so she had to learn on her own. She also said she doesn't teach them herself unless asked specifically. Do those of you who teach sometimes refuse to teach a move for reasons like that?

Also, showing me them seemed to take alot out of her. Do you back bend pros still get out of breath or some muscle weakness after doing them or after so long does it just feel natural?

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes one is glad to be too old to attempt a move!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CottonAnatomy View Post
    She said her teacher refused to teach back bends because they can hurt people, so she had to learn on her own. She also said she doesn't teach them herself unless asked specifically. Do those of you who teach sometimes refuse to teach a move for reasons like that?
    Yes, I refuse to teach the Turkish drop for that reason. Though I WILL tell someone who wants to learn it that before they try to learn the Turkish drop they need to use the instructions on my backbend page to learn how to do a kneeling-style backbend, AND build enough strength and flexibility to do it with ease. So I tell them to not even think about a Turkish drop until they can do kneeling backbends really, really comfortably, and I personally won't teach the drop.

By the way, I injured my knee in a Turkish drop gone bad in 2001 and haven't done floor work since. About a year ago, my rolfer did some amazing work on my knee that realigned the kneecap, and now I'm thinking about starting to drill in the exercises required to do floor work again.

Also, showing me them seemed to take alot out of her. Do you back bend pros still get out of breath or some muscle weakness after doing them or after so long does it just feel natural?
    It feels natural, but first you have to do a *lot* of work to build up the necessary muscle strength and control. Since I don't know her I can't comment on why she's having those issues, but two possibilities come to mind: 1) She needs to do more exercises of the type required to build more muscle strength and cardio fitness, or 2) She has a medical condition that is inhibiting her.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    2) She has a medical condition that is inhibiting her.
    Ah, yes! She did say she has asthma!

Post Thanks / Like

So at my dance lesson last night I mentioned backbends and my teacher told me some exercises I could use to try to work my back bends. She said her teacher refused to teach back bends because they can hurt people, so she had to learn on her own. She also said she doesn't teach them herself unless asked specifically. Do those of you who teach sometimes refuse to teach a move for reasons like that?

My teacher doesn't teach them. Not so much for safety reasons (but that's also a reason) but that she feels it's not necessary to be able to do back bends or Turkish drops in order to be an amazing belly dancer. I agree- I looooooove backbends and the audience loves them too but I don't feel like they're necessary.

I can do backbends and drop into them suddenly (not Turkish drops where you spin spin spin and land...Tribal style ones ala Ms. Kihara or Ms. Brice) but I don't practice them regularly...I only save them for shows. I "practice" by doing specific yoga poses and I also try to build on flexibility in my back and legs while strengthening my abs. I still don't know if this is 100% risk free so I try not to do them often. I never feel any sort of pain though afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Deep standing backbends are a very gymnastic move. They require a specific set of skills, strengths, and flexibility. If you have difficulty with these, don't assume it's because you're not "experienced enough." All you need to do is get some extra training and you'll be fine!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast