Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

can someone post another video of one?
    also are there any other yoga moves that help with this besides the bridge?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad to see this topic pop up again. Backbends seemed to come easy for me, but not only do I depend on strong ab muscles, I also use my thigh muscles, so as not to strain my lower back. I found that gradual practice and strengthening of my abs and thighs helped me to get that deep backbend. Although I don't take a regular yoga class, I do practice beginners' yoga with instructional DVD's.

Another thing I make sure to do to avoid injuring myself is to stand with feet shoulder-width apart before I start my backbend, that way, my weight is centered, and I'm not as likely to do a "Klutzy drop."

One thing you don't want to do: DON'T continue in your backbend if you feel any strain in your neck or lower back. I'm very fortunate that my second bellydance teacher (not my present one, but the one who is in charge of the troupe), is a former physical therapist, so she's very careful to show us how to learn all the moves she teaches us safely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samiagamal View Post
    can someone post another video of one?
    also are there any other yoga moves that help with this besides the bridge?
    There's a whole article about backbends on my web site at www.shira.net/howtomove.htm that talks about a number of exercises you can do to strengthen and add flexibility to all the muscles that are involved in doing backbends. It mentions yoga poses that are useful, but also mentions other exercises as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Good for warming up the spine.

Yoga Journal - Cow Pose

Kundalini Yoga - Exercise Set for Maintaining a Flexible Spine.

There is a variation on the spinal flex. Sitting cross legged. Place hands on knee. Keeping arms/back straight lean back slightly, your weight shifts back and your chest lifts. Now relax and flex. The focus will be on working the upper spine, between the shoulder blades. Sorry I can't find a clip or link for this.

I'd suggest something like fish pose before camel because the emphasis is on opening the chest. People can cheat more with camel and allow pressure to build in their lower back.

Yoga Journal - Fish Pose

Others
    Yoga Journal - Poses: Backbend Poses

Keep in mind BALANCE - you need strength, flexibility.

I was in a ws with Rachel Brice where she admitted to being rather bendy and just doing backbends, which was all fine till she hurt herself because much of the bend was coming from her lower back and meant compressing her lower back. She said how she now performs a different version where you lift up and out through the upper chest. (Arriellah pretty much said the same thing).

Post Thanks / Like

Rep for that post Eve, that's very helpful

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this thread I'm new and still learning so this is great helpful information

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum! How about a trip to meet and greet to introduce yourself, Krystal? I look forward to getting to know a new OD member.

Post Thanks / Like

Default backbends

just wanted to chime in in support of yoga.
    it really helps.
    i have done standing backbends a few times, and it's one of those things i use for emotional emphasis.
    sometimes, though, my body doesnt want to do it, so i don't push it. =p

i think it's easier to do really deep ones (i have seen dancers attempting to push the RB level by going further down than just horizontal) when your torso is a bit long. alot of rachel's stylizations are helped by the fact that her torso is so long.
    my torso is short, so alot of the typical "tribal fusion" moves don't work quite as well on me. =p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TribalBellieNE View Post
    just wanted to chime in in support of yoga.
    it really helps.
    i have done standing backbends a few times, and it's one of those things i use for emotional emphasis.
    sometimes, though, my body doesnt want to do it, so i don't push it. =p

i think it's easier to do really deep ones (i have seen dancers attempting to push the RB level by going further down than just horizontal) when your torso is a bit long. alot of rachel's stylizations are helped by the fact that her torso is so long. my torso is short, so alot of the typical "tribal fusion" moves don't work quite as well on me. =p
    very true, as anyone who's seen her drill dvd would, I think agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TribalBellieNE View Post
    i think it's easier to do really deep ones (i have seen dancers attempting to push the RB level by going further down than just horizontal) when your torso is a bit long. alot of rachel's stylizations are helped by the fact that her torso is so long.
    my torso is short, so alot of the typical "tribal fusion" moves don't work quite as well on me. =p
    I have the same thing: very long legs and short torso, so when I dance it just looks different from dancers who have a long torso. Maybe you're right that it affects backbends as well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast