Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Long legs and short torso describes me, too. Sigh. I've often envied those with longer waists their ability to snake around. Sometimes I think I must be missing the entire thoracic section of my spine.

Post Thanks / Like

Roll  Eyes well, backbends are unvoidable...

in Greek tsifteteli which means once you are in a party, a tsifteteli starts and you stand up to dance
    - so you have no time to do any warming up, unless you had been already dancing before the song
    -the music is usually short, 3-4 minutes and even if you want to avoid a backbend after 2,5 minutes in most cases, an improvisation (taqsim) of violin or bouzouki or accordeon! starts within the song, so this is the time of the backbend
    -you bend the back as much as you can - depends not only on your flexibility and traning, but also on the position of the legs: parallel, or slightly open or one in front of the other
    -you need strong muscles on the thighs but the most important thing is to squeeze the gluteal muscles - this will protect you from injuries and will keep you steady no matter hos low you bend your back
    -you do not need to stay like this for long, but it is nice to stay like this at least for 5 seconds!
    -in the South of Greece, the backbend is on the ground, e.g. total floorwork with backbend, for which the same rules hold (take care of the knees).

Important: if you ache on your waist before dancing, you DO NOT DO A BACKBEND it might be really dangerous.

I have never tried a Turkish drop on plain floor, if with that we mean an abrupt falling with the lower leg parts on the floor (usually after a backbend).

Post Thanks / Like

Default I meant

unavoidable....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Long legs and short torso describes me, too. Sigh. I've often envied those with longer waists their ability to snake around. Sometimes I think I must be missing the entire thoracic section of my spine.
    I have both a short waist and short legs. It doesn't appear to affect my ability to do a nice backbend, but when it comes to other moves in bellydance, I look like a dancing mango.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll bet you're the sweetest, prettiest dancing mango in the belly dance world!

Post Thanks / Like

Default How funny!

How funny to see that this thread has attracted over 30 replies and over 1,000 views without having any drama or debating! Who'd have thought that a nice, cordial discussion of dance technique could attract this much interest?

Obviously, a lot of people like standing backbends as much as I do!

Here's a photo of me from 1986:

Paris, FRANCE or Cairo, EGYPT or Bratislava, SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like

Love your costume shira!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

How funny to see that this thread has attracted over 30 replies and over 1,000 views without having any drama or debating!
    Standing backbends are pretty dramatic all on their own and require no additional theatrics.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to practise mine but I need to build up strenght in my legs before I can take it really.
    The technique really is all about using your thigh and core musles and keep this whole midriff area really tight to free the back and therefore avoid injury.
    To move onto a drop going on tiptoe helps.

I love this moves and I love bellydancers who do them. I think it's a great personnal satisfaction to be able to do them but that in real life you can't really perform them.
    At most parties where they hire a bellydancer floorwork simply wouldn't be appropriate.
    You need a stage for that kind of stuff.
    And also when I perform I do try and warm up but if I have 3 gigs in a night, involving 40 mins of driving in between, my body is not really prepared anymore.

Aurora London Bellydancer

Post Thanks / Like

I returned to ballet in January (adult beginner was too easy, so I'm in a class with kids preparing for their Russian Society exams) and I just can't remember how to ballet backbend, I just can't activate the muscles in my back the right way. I'm having a hard time getting a nice curve in the top of my back, I can't place my arm right :/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast