Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Have you ever injured yourself belly dancing?

Have you ever injured yourself while belly dancing?

If so, what happened? What kind of injury was it? If you could turn back the clock to that moment, what would you do differently?

(NOTE: Dancers of ALL belly dance styles are welcome to participate in this thread.)

Post Thanks / Like

I tore off my small toe nail when I snagged it on carpet one time (I would now wear slippers if I had to perform on carpet).

Long aggressive practices aggravate my arthritis and my joints and muscles feel like they turn to stone if I go out into the cold too soon after dancing (I now take it easier during practice, take time to cool off, and have something warm to cover body, arms, and legs before venturing out into the cold. I used to just grab a sweater and run through the snow to my car. Getting older sucks.)

I dance on half pointe much of the time and have occasionally strained a tendon when I failed to warm up my feet properly.

Hmm. Looking back, most of my injuries could've been avoided had I not been in too much of a hurry with warmups and cool downs. Let this be a lesson to you, my children.

Post Thanks / Like

Any injuries I've experienced have been minor - mainly an aggravation of old injuries sustained in other activities - and could have been avoided if I'd used a little more common sense.

Most recently, I tried to keep up with a workshop class on headslides (which I KNOW aggravate a long-standing neck issue) and suffered the consequences. Won't try that again!

Post Thanks / Like

I Haven't ( touch wood), but a colleague did last year, we were in class and practising turns, when we all heard this pop sound and one girl dropped to the floor, she had popped a muscle in her calf. She was in agony.

She was taken to a local emergency dept', treated, told to rest the leg & had to have lots of physio and no dancing for about 2 months. She is OK now but very cautious with turns.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

I messed up my lower back, but it was because the teacher didn't know what she was doing.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a friend that was rushed to the emergency room because she cut her foot on something...wearing shoes is a must!

Post Thanks / Like

I was doing 'batta' with a strong right hip lock and strained something. I have fibromyalgia so it takes a long time for something like this to settle down. Otherwise the worst thing has been a cut foot from a safety pin left on the floor on a stage (yes, why I wear footsies!)
    I think bellydance has to be one of the safest forms of dance for anyone.

To avoid flare-ups of my fibromyalgia I have to make sure I do some cardio warmup, then stretch (not that stretching reduces injury if you stretch at the beginning of your practice), then dance - then I usually stretch as I cool down, but again it doesn't have any impact on injury or muscle pain.

Stretching before or after you dance doesn't influence injury at all (even stretching before running doesn't stop injury) - but I know it's one of the things that most people do. The research around whether stretching does anything at all has finally been quite conclusive - take a look here, or google scholar to find more...
    Last edited by adiemus; 08-15-2009 at 04:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a slipped disk in my neck ,because halterbra,s that where realy to tite...and after so many years wearing them like this it caused a slipped disk specialy when bending back the strap reayly is pressing inthe neck and manged to go between 2 vertebra,s....i never was thinking anything off it but years ago i would have pain between my sholderblades when dancing and i was thinking must be a cold fro airco in the hotel untop off the stage....now i only know that from that time already it was pressing..and it caused pain between the sholderblades....i talk about 1987....so all this years pressing ....beside that bang my head a few times on the floor.when doing turkish drop without concentrating very well....my meniscus that i hade a few months ago is from ..pivotting,, to much...So that is my package...not to bad for so many years of having a great life on stage!!!!have a nice day all....

Post Thanks / Like

I CANNOT kneel down on the floor and then do a backbend. I start to feel pain in my knees and stop immediately. Haven't injured myself yet, but that is a warning sign for me that I intend to heed.

Post Thanks / Like

In the early years when I learned and practiced veil alot I developed a really bad neck and shoulder.

I had to get treatment for it on a numer of occasions as it caused me so much grief.

At first I didnt realsie it was connected, but the same thing happend a few times when I was learning a veil piece.

I dont get it now but I dont do full veil routines either.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast