Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

When I think our troupe once danced with candles and silk veils

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    When I think our troupe once danced with candles and silk veils
    !

WOT! Surely you didn't do anything crazy like LIGHT the candles...!!

Post Thanks / Like

Shira,

I've heard both "weight in heels" and "weight equally distributed" from my teachers, but the majority have emphasized weight in the heels, so that is the dance stance that feels most natural to me -- in fact, more than a couple have said the weight should be far enough in your heels that you can wiggle your toes most of the time (with the exception of some turns and releve work).

Maybe the weight in heels thing is more tribal fusion? I'd have to go back and think more about which teachers said what.

A.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also taught to be able to wiggle the toes when standing flat-footed. Not all of the weight on the heels, but most of it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eshta View Post
    !

Yup...pre Health and Safety
    The silk veils flloating out from our turbans and candles in bowls. eheh fearless weren't we?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelia View Post
    I've heard both "weight in heels" and "weight equally distributed" from my teachers, but the majority have emphasized weight in the heels, so that is the dance stance that feels most natural to me -- in fact, more than a couple have said the weight should be far enough in your heels that you can wiggle your toes most of the time.
    Interesting.

I'll share where I'm coming from. I hope you'll listen with an open mind despite what you've been taught in the past.

I DID go through an era when I too had my weight mostly in the heels. I wasn't actually taught to do it that way, it just happened to be what I was doing, and no one told me to do otherwise.

Then, after many years of doing it that way, I took classes with someone new. She taught me to change my posture so that my rib cage was farther forward and my weight spread front-to-back fully across my feet. After trying it her way, I realized I had less back pain, my hips had more mobility for figure 8's and such, my torso moves were more fluid, and my feet/ankles/knees had fewer issues. I also found that it was much easier to keep balanced and centered when using a full-foot stance rather than a heel-oriented one, and my spins felt less wobbly.

My conclusion: the posture change was healthier for my body. Now, if someone were to try to make me go back to the weight-on-the-heels thing, I would adamantly tell that person, "NO! Not on MY body!!!!"

There are many, many dancers with stunning charisma, impressive strength and agility, and fabulous musicality who have technique that can injure the body. As much as I enjoy watching them perform, I absolutely would NOT try to adopt their injury-causing habits even if they taught that in a workshop.

For example, the famous Egyptian dancer Nagwa Fouad now walks with a cane due to destroying her knees in a lifetime of injurious technique. As much as I respect the way she danced in her prime, I would refuse to do risky technique just for the sake of matching her style 100%.

So, knowing what I know today, I think keeping the weight back on the heels as the primary, default position is a Bad Idea. Sure, there are some moves such as shimmies that I'll do with a heel-oriented weight placement, but that's something I do temporarily before returning to my default full-foot position.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally see where you're coming from, Shira.

I think the point of being able to wiggle your toes is so that you don't put all of your weight on you toes perhaps? Because I know my weight is even on the balls and heel of my foot, just none on the toes...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eshta View Post
    !

Some special effect... after so many danc ers do fire twirling, this could be the next big thing!

Post Thanks / Like

I have always danced with my weigh forward on my feet, perhaps because (look around cautiously to see if Rocky is listening) in old style AmCab, one spends a lot of time dancing half point. I just stood up and discovered I can wiggle my toes fine when standing half point, so maybe it is whatever you get used to.

Post Thanks / Like

I must confess, I got up, did my dance stance, and realized that I too can wiggle my toes even with my weight evenly distributed between the ball of the foot and the heel. It never would have occurred to me to tell my students they need to be able to wiggle their toes, though. So long as they evenly distribute weight between the ball and heel most of the time, I'm satisfied.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast