Have you ever injured yourself belly dancing?

Hypnos

Beware ladies it's the afterwards that is more dangerous:rolleyes:..after dancing the night away at a hafla, I necked rather a lot of rough white wine, staggered out with a box of decorations , put my foot in a grid, twisted it well and truly. No way was I going to A&E in a bedlah so I waited until next morning. I had torn a big ankle ligament and was on a stick for 18 months but after 6 did manage a few belly dance steps...well you do,don't you?

Years on, no more bedlah and I drink very little:D

Oh dear! The dreaded alcohol! That sounds like an extremely horrendous accident but we must look back in good humour!

Thank God that I learnt to drink less by the time I was 18 lol.

Aniseteph

I tore something in my calf once - over enthusiastic forward and back step and ping - OWWWWW! I had to sit out the class, hobbled home, then couldn't walk for two days.

nigma

1st dance injury was a bruised rib from doing way too many chest undulations, a painful memory, I couldn't move for a whole week :rolleyes:

2nd injury was a nasty blister on sole of foot from dancing barefoot on concrete :rolleyes:

3rd injury was a sore right hip from overdancing.

4th was an upper arm injury (tendon?) that would not allow me to lift my arm higher than shoulder height and still gives me problems.

Lastly, not an injury but a condition... arthritic ankle which has caused my leg to be 2cm shorter than the other so now I avoid lively saaidi style dances lest I want to limp the next few days in pain. In fact I pretty much just avoid dancing now :(

Jane

-torn up my feet until they bled from dancing barefoot
-various things stuck in my feet, including glass, even while wearing shoes
-ripped the skin off the top of my feet doing floorwork
-sliced my finger open on my dance sword (hospital trip)
-smacked the back of my head doing a turkish drop
-sprained my ankle dancing in high heels on a slippery uneven floor
-had my knees go out from under me unexpectedly
-pulled a hip flexor very badly (another hospital trip)
-had a painful neck from doing extreme hair tossing (somewhat regular basis)

I started dancing around 1996 and I still think compared to other dance styles, belly dance is relatively safe! Most of the things were due to stupidity, accident, or I knew the consequences and choose to do it anyway. What a dumb ass ;)

gypsy_Max

Jane

I started dancing around 1996 and I still think compared to other dance styles, belly dance is relatively safe! Most of the things were due to stupidity, accident, or I knew the consequences and choose to do it anyway. What a dumb ass

I agree with you. About getting oneself an injury due to one's own dumbNESS.
I am not a belly dancer, I am a crumper(and an amateur crumper) , but once I hit my knee badly on one battle( tried to use a chair in my dance, and couldn't balance), so even the smashing sound was amaisingly heard( hhhaha!). Now I am more experienced, and i don't hurt anyhting.. But that was nothing but my own bumbness.
And bow, to those of you who still hurt something when dancing. A dance is smth that should not hurt you. You shouldn't be intense when U dance. So if some move gives you a discomfort, it means you do it incorrectly( when I say YOU I mean in general, dancers). That's what I believe.

Last edited: