Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for teachers !!

Hi there !!!
    Problem: I have a student at the professional level, she dance 7 years already, love her teqnick, her style, her personality on stage, the problem is this: At hip drops, or lifts the level that she drop or lift her hip is very small.
    It looks like moving up or down only 5 cm = 2 inch.
    Her posture is correct, the teqnick is the correct, she just cant lift or drop more.
    So the question is: Can this be anatomical? maybe some people dont have the flexibility on this part of their body? Is there something that can I do to help her? from that point and up or down, she feel pain (already sent her to check this at doct).

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

You could try telling her to strengthen the muscles one uses to do hip drops and lifts. That may be her problem. Also, make sure that she is stretching out the entire hip area before dancing.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know whether this applies in this situation or not, but the same movement will look different on different bodies because of the body's proportions sometimes. For example, I'm relatively short in the torso, long in the legs, and I have narrow hips. So, unless I'm doing a rather large/exaggerated drop, my hip drops tend to look fairly small and dainty. Another dancer I know who has a long torso and hips much wider than her torso has a very hard time making hip drops look anything but very big. We're doing the same movement with the same flexibility and intensity, but because of differences in our proportions, it looks very different. We've each learned how the moves look on us and our individual dance styles reflect that, but when we dance in groups, we each have to adjust if we're going to blend in.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that there are structural differences between people that make movements look very different. Our bones are proportionally different and our muscles can be attached to bones at proportionally different places. The next time you are in a place where people are wearing short pants, take a look at peoples' calf muscles. In some the muscle is short and fat and inserts relatively high on the leg, whereas in others the muscle is longer and and attaches relatively lower. The former creates a more curvy calf and the latter a more linear calf. I can imagine that these kinds of variations in hip flexors and obliques and other core postural muscles could affect the way dance movements look.

If you know that video of Mona El Saiid where she dances in a pink and blue costume with poufy sleeves. She does some hip drops that just amaze me in terms of the range of motion that she has. It looks like her hip is moving a foot between her ups and downs!

I'm not sure what might contribute to achieving a large range of motion like this, but I would think that posture would have alot to do with it. If the dancer has thoracic strength to lift the upper body all around and maximize the space between the pelvis and the ribs, then the hips will have more room to move. If the dancer has alot of fat around the middle, that fat could physically get in the way of the lifting part of the movement. When I gain weight it is around my waist and it literally gets in the way of some kinds of movement. If the abdominal oblique and ilipsoas muscles are tight, that could limit the dropping part of the lift. Also, if the lumbar curve and pelvis are not in a perfectly neutral position (in other words if the dancer has some lordosis or swayback), the pelvis will be tilted forward and this will severely limit the range of up and down movements.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Sedonia

Post Thanks / Like

aside from structural issues ...

To a limited degree, you CAN increase your range of motion in some areas. I'm not saying this WILL help your student, but it might.

I increased the movement in my hip downs by using a weight belt. I think Delilah of Seattle gave me the idea. I just put the belt around my hips and slowly lifted and dropped the hip, then did a hip down slowly, and bright it back to neutral. I think I did like 50 of these on each hip every day for about two months. My range of motion was substantially bigger after working this way. I did something similar with chest slides, and managed to get my horizontal chest movements a LOT bigger.

The key is slow practice, over a long period of time. And work the muscles in opposition. Work the downs as well as the ups.

It worked for me, and it might work for others. But you definately are limited by your own body's structure. Sometimes you can fake the "bigness" of a movement by making it sharper or by making it more "gooey."

Post Thanks / Like

body type does make a differance.
    but we feel who the dancer is, makes a bigger differance.
    if a quiet, shy person, ..it seems the movement is lady like, or timid..etc
    a more "out there" personality, usually makes for a bigger movement
    i find the same with zills
    when i play, its an extension of me, and all i have been through...the modulations, tell a story.
    i find my more reserved dancers, play more "in the background"
    not out there, but more like an after thought.