Curvature of the spine and Belly dance

Hypnos

Basically, I have it.

So internally my spine bends slightly to the left, which puts my pelvis at an angle making one hip about half an inch higher than the other. It's not problematic enough to go and have an operation to fix it, just occasional niggles in my hip and knee joints if I walk really fast for over two hours or something.

The point of this post is, first of all, is Belly dance enough to cause problems for me in the future? Secondly, how to avoid those problems if there will be any.

karena

Just to state at the outset, I am trying to be helpful, not stop you asking this as there will be people on the forum who joined more recently and as such may have more insights and want to discuss :D, but it you are after more information I know this is something that has been discussed in a couple of threads in the past, and there were some people who seemed to know alot about it (I don't recall who to know if they are still around)

shiradotnet

Basically, I have it.

The point of this post is, first of all, is Belly dance enough to cause problems for me in the future? Secondly, how to avoid those problems if there will be any.

I found out about my curvature of the spine over 20 years ago. Never had surgery, never wanted it.

One thing you may notice is that you have to compensate a little for your tilted hips when doing horizontal hip moves such as hip slides. Meaning, you'll have to make a point of lowering the higher-hip side a little as you slide to that side. No biggie, with some determined practice in front of a mirror you'll reach a point where you automatically do it fine.

You may also notice with skirts and pants that the hem seems uneven, "shorter" on the side with the higher hip. Maybe you'll care, maybe I won't. I usually don't bother compensating for that, but sometimes I do.

Kharmine

I have moderate scoliosis, which is not obvious but I twist a bit to the right. It hasn't caused any problems in the two years or so I've been belly dancing, although I've slacked off considerably the last few months so we'll see what happens when I go back to a more regular practice!

I would recommend doing daily gentle stretching, maybe even getting into hatha yoga, taking Vitamin D, calcium, and fish oil supplements to keep things flexible and strong, and try to get a good massage once a month, if you can. I've noticed that you can get a good one at less cost if you check with your local YMCA or school of massage therapy.

It's also important to make sure your sleep mattress is right for you. If you're putting up with a mattress that doesn't support you in the right places all night, you're not helping your body even if you seem to be sleeping OK. Even a good mattress doesn't keep its best shape much longer than 10 years or so.

It's about not only keeping what you have in good shape to forestall any strains, but also to be sure that problems that are common with increasing age won't have to be inevitable. I wanna be belly dancing at my 80th birthday, the good Lord willing!

shiradotnet

Is Belly dance enough to cause problems for me in the future? Secondly, how to avoid those problems if there will be any.

Now....

My scoliosis is made more complicated by the fact that in 1975 I was in a rollover car accident that strained the muscles in my back, especially just below the curve. Lots of scar tissue.

In my 30+ years of experience of living with my crazy back, I've found that my back is HEALTHIEST when I belly dance regularly, at least once or twice a week. If I take a month-long break, such as I often do around the holiday season in November and December, I start having aches and pains.

In 2000, I decided to go see a chiropracter about some upper-back pain that I think was caused by hunching over computers too much. Since I was a new patient, he ran me through a series of range-of-motion tests to learn about my back health. He also X-rayed my back - first X-ray I'd had taken of it since the original in 1975.

Anyway, the chiropracter was shocked at how easily and fluidly my torso could move. He was amazed at my back's flexibility and range of motion. He said that it was rare to see people in their 40's with scoliosis who could move so easily. I laughed and said, "It's probably because I'm a belly dancer!" His eyes lit up and he said yes, that was EXACTLY why my back was so supple, and he urged me to continue belly dancing for the rest of my life.

I used to use belly dance rib cage circles to ease my back pain when my old car accident injury would start hurting. I rarely need to do that any more because rolfling has done a HUGE amount of good for my back, but I"ll still do it when I feel the need.

adiemus

Go Shira! Bellydance has to be one of the best ways to maintain flexibility and strength around the spine.
Don't be surprised if you feel a bit sore initially, especially if you're taking up new stretches or movements and trying to get symmetrical - this isn't injury, simply muscles having to do some work they haven't done before.
Scoliosis is about bones, not ligaments, so the actual curve of the spine won't change - but you've lived your life with it, so moving isn't going to harm it, and will definitely help you remain strong and supple.
cheers
Bronnie

Demelza Aradia

I am a member of Team Scoliosis (slight in my case, apparantly not noticible to anyone but the determined few who really look hard - one hip is curvier than the other and my spine is very slightly twisted). My mum is a massuese and it was she who first noticed it a few years back. For the past half a year I have been bellydancing and doing yoga if not every day then every other day, and we are both sure that my hip has become less noticible because of it. The osteopath (who is a bit like Dumbledore for backs) reckons that all this exercise and yoga is really good for my back and gave me yoga exercises to strengthen up the muscles on one side to help settle it down further, and my scoliosis doctor said (hoping that this isnt just an urban rumour) that one of his patients who got severely into yoga found that her scoliosis was greatly lessened through the exercise :shok: now that's awesome.

I would have thought that bellydancing is brilliant for crappy backs as it builds up muscles that otherwise would remain undeveloped and shirking their spine-helping duties.

shiradotnet

The osteopath (who is a bit like Dumbledore for backs) reckons that all this exercise and yoga is really good for my back and gave me yoga exercises to strengthen up the muscles on one side to help settle it down further, and my scoliosis doctor said (hoping that this isnt just an urban rumour) that one of his patients who got severely into yoga found that her scoliosis was greatly lessened through the exercise

This yoga instructor believes that yoga has cured her scoliosis: YOGA FOR SCOLIOSIS

I have purchased her video, but haven't yet actually tried using it yet. But I intend to....

shiradotnet

Hello guys!

Here some fantastic and excelent information about belly dance,

Belly Dance has been used as a preparation for pregnancy and birth in the Middle East since ancient times. There are great physical and emotional benefits to be gained for pregnant women in our culture through this art form. My aim is to teach women to accept and enjoy their changing shape and carry themselves and their baby with confidence and dignity.

During a normal healthy pregnancy you are likely to experience some of the following symptoms; some obvious, others less apparent. It is helpful to know what to expect although it is unlikely that you will suffer with all of these problems. Practicing “Belly Dance 4 Bumps” will help you feel positive and more accepting of your changing shape as well as providing a useful aid to relaxation; enhancing your connection with your baby.

Lower back pain can be caused by the increased forward weight of your baby can mean the spine is pulled out of its neutral position causing a more pronounced curvature of the lower back. Maintaining a straight back and good posture at all times should help ease back pain.

It is important to keep correct body alignment during pregnancy and whilst breast-feeding. Many women lean back to counteract the increasing weight of the baby and this can cause back pain and other aches. With the correct posture and good abdominal strength that can be achieved through techniques learnt in belly dancing, expectant mothers are able to carry the baby's weight more comfortably. The shoulders may creep forward during pregnancy or whilst breast-feeding, which can cause tension and pain; we will show movements that will strengthen, release and relax this area. The abdominal exercises , pelvic tilts, circles and camels should help alleviate back pain. Use your tummy muscles to hold your baby in to you. Remember: weight spread evenly over feet, knees relaxed, legs strong, tail bone to the floor, navel to spine, shoulders back and down, head in line with the spine.

Go and join bell y and get some relaxation.

Where did you find this? If it was someone else's web site, please provide the link as a courtesy to the web site owner.

dreamthief666

I found out about my curvature of the spine over 20 years ago. Never had surgery, never wanted it.

One thing you may notice is that you have to compensate a little for your tilted hips when doing horizontal hip moves such as hip slides. Meaning, you'll have to make a point of lowering the higher-hip side a little as you slide to that side. No biggie, with some determined practice in front of a mirror you'll reach a point where you automatically do it fine.

You may also notice with skirts and pants that the hem seems uneven, "shorter" on the side with the higher hip. Maybe you'll care, maybe I won't. I usually don't bother compensating for that, but sometimes I do.

yet 1 more for team scoliosis, first noticed when wearing stockings they didn't line up, so gave up wearing them :lol: