A British Male dancer

Caroline_afifi

I am sure Sunny is a real darling, but hey... does he have no real friends to wisper in his ear???

I am really surprised at these ME places in London allowing that..

If 'he' was a 'she' then I feel this thread would be up in arms about this.

Male or female, loin cloths and coconuts are restricted for Tarzan and Jane only...

lizaj

Another whisper might be:
You look like you may be a very talented young dancer but how about when you are older and you might like to be taken seriously as a performer in Arab festivals, belly dance festivals and as a teacher. Change that image!!!!
You can still look sexy with a few more whisps of chiffon:)

zena

I have seen Sunny Snake Boy dance and he was very entertaining, BUT, I have to admit I found myself wishing he had put a few more clothes on. I spent most of his performance wondering if he actually had anything on under his flimsy little skirt - yes, skirt - and hoping I wasn't going to find out! Great fun though.

I was intrigued by his dancing but I must admit I was wondering the same thing as you. He wouldn't want snake boy to be confused with the one eyed snake - so a bit more clothes would be ideal.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
He seems to have pretty decent technique, although this is the first time I've heard of/seen him. I'm not sure what the splits were all about, and I would have liked to see him in a "real" costume - but I'm impressed. Especially since he's a Brit - the land of (almost) no male Belly Dancers - I too wonder the how/where/when of his training. Entered with a veil too! :cool:

Caroline_afifi

He seems to have pretty decent technique, although this is the first time I've heard of/seen him. I'm not sure what the splits were all about, and I would have liked to see him in a "real" costume - but I'm impressed. Especially since he's a Brit - the land of (almost) no male Belly Dancers - I too wonder the how/where/when of his training. Entered with a veil too! :cool:

I actually think he has more than pretty decent technique.

The first one shown is a good clip and he looks good. I agree with you about the splits, but some people like to go crazy in order to impress. I once saw a video of Horacio do this and I didnt like that either, infact it was pretty vile.

I do take issue with this guys flimsy bit of cloth posing as a 'costume'.
I mean, what statement does this make?

if we are what we wear then who is he? :think:

I tend to look at things from this point of view.

lizaj

I just wonder what explanation he would give for his skimpy outfit.
He claims to be a costume designer so it can't be a lack of understanding about what constitutes a belly dance costume surely.
Is it the desire to titillate, shock,get attention?
It is difficult for male belly dancers as they are probably wondering just what to wear but however much we may or may not dislike what Khaled, Shafeek and Ozgen wear here in the UK (Hey Zorba...look we've male belly dancers and good ones, welcome in the community and hailed as class acts!) he has some good role models.

lizaj

I wonder if one of his friend's could whisper in in ear about this discussion and he could appear on this forum.
I like (most) of his dancing from what I see but hey my love, gerra pair of kecks!!!! And actually I prefer the torso covered a tad.

jenc

This is the guy I saw on Britain'd got more talent. still not many clothes, a snake drpaed round his neck and still doing the dodgy moves

Tarik Sultan

I am sure Sunny is a real darling, but hey... does he have no real friends to wisper in his ear???

I am really surprised at these ME places in London allowing that..

If 'he' was a 'she' then I feel this thread would be up in arms about this.

Male or female, loin cloths and coconuts are restricted for Tarzan and Jane only...

I posted that video once back in the day...... I agree with you, but I'mnot gonna go there. I think you've hit the nail on the head.....

nigma

Looked to me like the family jewels were safely enscounced in something black and stretchy, though I now know more about the young man's underwear than I consider strictly necessary. What has me wincing is that head slinging move in the first video. I want to grab the child and tell him his neck has to last him his entire life.

My thoughts exactly.

mikhailsharqi

I'm a student of Egyptian Oriental in London and have performed at afew haflas where Sunny has performed and know the guy.

As far as i know from him he has had no formal training in any form of belly dance but has made a name for himself as a professional dancer on the gay scene.

I think his fame came from being THE first male dancer to be working in london in some shape or form by just putting himself out there before we got Ozgen, Khaled, Shafeek and other male dancers of more formal training.

I'm not saying any good or bad of the fellow, but he has a commercial value and something marketable that makes money i suppose. And at the end of the day thats what he's doing is making a living of what he does, albeit from an Oriental dance or Arabic standpoint there will be some reservations perhaps.

Dancerlover

Ha ha,
I had the pleasure of meeting the said gentleman a couple of years ago and was wondering where he is now does anyone know how he can be contacted?

Amulya

Only the first video worked but the Sharazad one didn't work. I agree, that's way too little costuming, it can't even be called a costume. I don't think audience would be comfortable to see bum cheeks flapping around, why can't he cover those? At least he was wearing underwear, but why do we need to know the colour of his underwear? I wonder what his dancing looks like in a normal costume. I couldn't watch the whole clip but what I saw seemed a bit frantic and random. ETA: I found a whole list of clips and there are some with much better dancing and two where he has an actual costume (the clips where he does a duet with a female dancer) Maybe the clips are all from different times and now he uses real costumes?

Last edited:

Afrit

Interesting - when I first saw this and heard the response I did wonder if it was a guy bar.

Okay - ignore the fact he is a man. If he was a woman that costume would not be acceptable. Bum cheeks with dinner is not appetising. Next, would someone please tell him he does not need to throw in the kitchen sink! He has talent. A few moves nicely done - while listening to the music would work well. And someone tape up his wrists - the waving hands are distracting.

Amulya

I wonder if no one ever told him to put on real costumes, but guess not :( it's strange what some people think is acceptable. And that sometimes people don't say a thing. There was a dancer in Holland who would wear circle skirts with splits and a thong underneath, so her bum was constantly visible, but no one ever dared to tell her off. Maybe that's the case here, people are scared to tell him off.