good exercises for stomach????

Eve

Good Diet is the key factor for flat abs. Cardio exercise and abs work will help to tone the area but will not do anything by themselves if your diet is crap ! ! :lol:
The exercises I find more effective for my abs are :
- The Plank (lying on the floor on your elbows you lift your knees off the floor and keep this position for 60 secs.) This works the upper and lower abs.
- The Bicycle (lying on your back with hands behind your head you lift your legs and twist from side to side trying to reach your left elbow to your right knee and then your right elbow to your left knee on the other side.) When done quickly this is a killer exercise and also has a cardio effect !

as long as they're done with good form. If you're heavier plank may not be the best for you as you're bearing a lot of weight on you forearms/wrists.

lots of people cheat with the bicycle especially when it's done fast your form goes. you need to lift then twist.

Hamoudi

yes, its corect about diet. its importent to take proteins, can go to shop like GNC and get fat burner too....like CLA, its very good suplement. my coach said work out its 80% importent and other is diet and suplements..

Eve

yes, its corect about diet. its importent to take proteins, can go to shop like GNC and get fat burner too....like CLA, its very good suplement. my coach said work out its 80% importent and other is diet and suplements..

I'd flip that and say diet is more important (although both are v.important). For instance it's no use going to the gym then 'rewarding' yourself with a slice of cake.

Supplements are just that and should not supplement a clean diet. They can be helpful if you're on a restricted diet or travel round and don't have time to prepare a healthy snack.

Another thing to consider is that once you hit a certain age and your metabilism begins to slow / you're losing muscle tissue. I think weights are very important.I'm not saying you need to start power lifting it could just mean doing full body press-ups, it does not mean doing a dozen bicep curls with baked bean cans.;) that will do nothing for you at all.

Nath

I'd flip that and say diet is more important (although both are v.important). For instance it's no use going to the gym then 'rewarding' yourself with a slice of cake.

Supplements are just that and should not supplement a clean diet. They can be helpful if you're on a restricted diet or travel round and don't have time to prepare a healthy snack.

Another thing to consider is that once you hit a certain age and your metabilism begins to slow / you're losing muscle tissue. I think weights are very important.I'm not saying you need to start power lifting it could just mean doing full body press-ups, it does not mean doing a dozen bicep curls with baked bean cans.;) that will do nothing for you at all.

As a senior belly dancer, chronic dieter and general all round crotchety ole' gray haired grannie, I would like to second the muscle loss bit and add to it.

I'm lucky enough to have a doctor who is very communicative. We talk about things all the time, exercise, life style changes, the works. One of the best recommendations he's made for me that has helped me tremendously is the use of resistance bands instead of weights. I've coupled it with a slightly higher protein intake, less carbs and I am actually gaining muscle mass! My grandchildren are even making jokes about their grannie being "buff". :rolleyes: No respect. :lol:

My point is, no matter what your age is, the body has some fundamental things it needs to get a certain way. You do need some sort of weight or resistance training to gain muscle mass and that it works at any age.

Miyu

A good one that I use for working those lower muscles that are great for pops and locks:

Lay on your back with your legs upp held together. Make sure your back is flat against the ground. Then use your stomach muscles to push up your butt and legs up from the ground, up. Repeat 3x15.

Kashmir

Lay on your back with your legs upp held together. Make sure your back is flat against the ground. Then use your stomach muscles to push up your butt and legs up from the ground, up. Repeat 3x15.
If you mean your back is on the ground and you legs are vertical, I would caution that this should only be used by people who are already very fit and have no lower back problems.

For ordinary people, lie on the ground with your knees bent, lift butt off ground with abs, hold, lift one leg off and hold. Reverse slowly and release abs. It is important to use your abs - not your legs (if your legs feel shaky after a few reps you are doing it wrong) and that you don't let your butt sag or your pelvis rock while doing it.