Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

And we still wonder? video clip

We wonder how something such beatifull as oriental dance that we have lovele dancers from arab countries to represend it have bad reputation?
    Well the majority of the dancers, the dancers that dance at medium-low thousends places are like this one, and i've seen many of them live

And we still wonder why oriental dance in arab countries is equal to prostitution????
    Check this video !!!!!

Warning its adult one, so keep in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?search=...&v=bNWeKADkqd0

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sick!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maria_Aya View Post
    Maria Aya.... dont really know what to say, it looks like there are childrens in the audience. I didnot bother to check the PVC lady after 30 seconds, SICK!
    I did mentioned here once that In Arab Countries (I particularly mentioned Egypt ), the dance gets ignored as one of the oldest dance form with such a cultural background. And that comments made few member a bit upset i should say, Are we ignoring the reality here? Dont know probably this kind of things are very rare in Arab Countries.

Post Thanks / Like

That was really horrible. I didn't even watch the entire clip. I wonder if this "lady" ever had any lessons or ever has seen herself dancing. (puke)

Post Thanks / Like

Here we have a tendency to equate dancing and dancers as one in the same. In the middle east, there is nothing wrong with DANCE per say. Its the dancer that's problematic. Dancing socially is fine its seen as an expression of joy. However, dancing professionally is a problem because it requires a woman to display herself in public in a society where women are not supposed to call attention to themselves in public. This is a big problem and doing so in a revealing costume, no matter how beautiful it may be, is like throwing gasoline on a fire. Therefore any woman who does this is seen in a very bad light and is considered morally destitute.

Very few dancers actually reach the level of stardome like Dina, Lucy or Fifi Abdu. Most dancers a re very poor women who can't make a living any other way. PEople look at it the same way we look at drug dealing, a disreputable profession to make quick money by low class people.

With the exception of the five star hotels, most venues are cheap cabarets that cater to a mlostly male clientel, now a days tourists from the Persian Gulf countries. Given this context, its not surprising that many of the so-called dancers one finds are in fact prostitutes hiding behind the dance because it allows them to show themselves and get access to more customers.

This in no way should be taken to mean that the dance is about prostitution or disreputable acitivities. Think of this as gold working. The dance is gold, what you do with it depends on your intentions. If you are a true artist and craftsman, you will refine the gold and remove all the dirt and impurities from it so that you can create a master piece. If you are low skilled and just looking to make a quick buck you wont care how clean your material is. It will be full of impurities so that its true brilliance will be disfigured. And of course a low skilled craftsman will only be able to produce something that is a crude and ugly showdow of a true master piece.

The same analogy goes for the customes. A person of sophistication who knows and appreciates art will know a true masterpiece, whether or not they can afford it. In many cases, they may save their money for years to buy one piece of quality, rather than getting some cheap knock off, because they value the item. A low bred person on the other hand will take whatever they can get and not question it. they don't expect much and might not even care if the item is real gold or not.

The dancer and audience who hired her are of the second order. Their main concern is not artistic merit. They are looking for something different. The "dancer" is not an artist and doesn't care about expressing her soul, she has another objective. Do don't be surprised when you see these things. Just remember, a country is like a house and every house has a sewer, so lets go back to the parlor where the walls are clean and the floors aren't covered in sh*#
    Last edited by Tarik Sultan; 10-16-2006 at 04:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

:eek:

Well said Tarik. I have seen many of these clips, and still find it revolting.. It's so sad to see someone degrading the dance in such a lowest-of-low way. The fact that we can see these things on the internet insures that just about EVERYONE could see it. People who don't know anything about our dance might think this is the real deal.

I'm truly happy to say that at least there are many wonderful, skilled dancers out there who do care for the dance and it's reputation, who will not put up with these things.. Unfortunately there;s nothing more we can do than educate, educate, educate...
    It's up to us to tell the world this is not what our art is about and not have images like these take over.
    (from the reactions at youtube only ONE of them was actually positive about the clip: that's one too many IMO, but at least majority there was able to see that this is not right)

I couldn't even watch the entire thing. Disgusting, revolting, gross...
    Say, Maria, want to go find her and BOB her a**?

Post Thanks / Like

Gag me with a spoon!

The only saving grace is that the video is so blurry, we can't get a clear view of all the cellulite.

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Than Meets The Eye

My first impression of the video was one of sadness than disgust. I wasn't paying attention so much to the dancer than I was to her surroundings. Who were those men?The audience seemed to be composed of men as well. Obviously she was an "object" ,a vehicle to carry on some purpose other showcasing Oriental Dance.
    Salome posted an article regarding prostitution and Eastern block dancers. Tarik's commentery also sheds light on the dehumanizing practice of prostititution. Maybe it's my social activism showing, but do we care more about the image of the dance than we do the lives of women who are exploited? For anyone to be a whore, somebody has to be the "trick" and somebody has to be the pimp. Do we let these folks off the hook? Aren't they truly the ones demonizing the dance? It's no coincidence that Oriental dance is used as front for prostititution in Middle Eastern countries as stripping is used as front for it here in America.
    I don't know what it is like to live in a destitute situation, without education and the necessary skills for survival. I'm fortunate not to live in a situation that would force me to debase myself. But I do have empathy for millions of women who simply do not have a choice in the matter.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia View Post
    My first impression of the video was one of sadness than disgust. I wasn't paying attention so much to the dancer than I was to her surroundings. Who were those men?The audience seemed to be composed of men as well. Obviously she was an "object" ,a vehicle to carry on some purpose other showcasing Oriental Dance.
    Salome posted an article regarding prostitution and Eastern block dancers. Tarik's commentery also sheds light on the dehumanizing practice of prostititution. Maybe it's my social activism showing, but do we care more about the image of the dance than we do the lives of women who are exploited? For anyone to be a whore, somebody has to be the "trick" and somebody has to be the pimp. Do we let these folks off the hook? Aren't they truly the ones demonizing the dance? It's no coincidence that Oriental dance is used as front for prostititution in Middle Eastern countries as stripping is used as front for it here in America.
    I don't know what it is like to live in a destitute situation, without education and the necessary skills for survival. I'm fortunate not to live in a situation that would force me to debase myself. But I do have empathy for millions of women who simply do not have a choice in the matter.
    Yasmine
    Very beautifully said. I agree totally - it's a bit disingenious of us, who have privilege and don't come from necessity to holler "low class". Reminds me of the people pre French revolution who claimed that the rich were pre-ordained to be in a better position and therefore there is no need to be sympathic of those less fortunate.

Post Thanks / Like

Yasmine, your comment was very perceptive and I could not agree more with what you said.

Amongst other perceptive remarks you [Yasmine] said:"it's no coincidence that Oriental dance is used as front for prostititution in Middle Eastern countries as stripping is used as front for it here in America." In fact, classical ballet--which today is regarded with such reverence and viewed as an expression of "high culture"--also served as a front for prostitution in the 19th century. There is certainly more than meets the eye to Degas' paintings of ballet dancers, in which the "objectifying gaze" of the potential customer is omnipresent. A figure of a male viewer is sometimes included in the actual painting, or the notion of "spectatorship and commodification" is implied through the composition of the painting.

Think about all those little girls in tutus, with ballerina dreams, and beautiful Degas-dancers decorating their walls... little do they know of the sordid conditions Degas' young models had to suffer...I owe this insight to a a Columbia University professor, and I wish I could give you a reference to further reading. The professor's argument certainly shattered a few illusions in the lecture hall!

So yes, Yasmine, I think your question "do we care more about the image of the dance than we do the lives of women who are exploited?" is a very poignant one.

Freya

For images of Degas' dancers:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/degas/ballet/

Notice the men/customers:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth...gas.etoile.jpg
    http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth...-rehearsal.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see it, the page just keeps saying loading with a grey screen.

Ah well. I can tell from the replies it would probably be painful to watch anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast