tribaret?

Kharis

Perhaps Amulya could explain it better though.

I heard of Tribaret within a few months of starting classes and was interested by it myself but I am not sure if it is just a passing fad or an lasting rebellion against the industry standard costumes of Tribal/Fusion/Cabaret dancing (Tribal isn't pretty enough, Fusion is too dark, and Cabaret is too polished/flashy). )

Long before Ansuya came on the scene there was this fusion of mixing kuchi jewellery and cab gear mixed in with beaded belts and sequinned bras all topped off with Ghawazee and Bedouin headgear. It was just something we did coz we couldn't afford a real expensive professional costume and it also looked more interesting visually. It was all way before we'd even heard of or been exposed to anything from the States or even FatChance and certainly not BDSS. A friend of mine went to Turkey and brought all this Afghan jewellery back and we made up stuff from it to complement the cheaper looking cab gear we had. We called it Gypsy style, coz that's what it looked like and we'd wear choli tops to match with little pill box hats. It all seemed magical back then... before it became a perceived faux pas to do such things and call it bellydance. I'm getting to the stage where I feel more and annoyed that people are pigeonholing this dance into compartments of their own making and then getting uppity if someone dares to deviate from their considered 'norms'.

Tribaret is not a style of dance, as far as I can see, but a fusion of costuming. The footage I've seen of Ansuya, she does bellydance, and the only remotely 'tribally' feel she offers is the use of zagat.

Shanazel

Thanks for the clips. I gotta say, I love Sandra. There is a gal with God's own plenty who knows exactly what to do with it.

chiaroscura

thanks for so many answers (and beautiful pics and videos)!
obviously the definition of tribaret is not that clear to the others either...
i am not keen on labels and defining dance style and everything properly, but i'd like to at least understand the others discussing
and you need to know the name to look for something - otherwise you are not sure what you get ("i recently signed up for a barf bag belly dance workshop, supposing it was like metro-tribexual, but it wasn't" )...

Last edited:

lizaj

I see the Tribaret style of costuming as a lighter combination of tribal gear. A bit of "cab" style glamour mixed with off the wall tribal gear. You wear white melodias, cream shawls, the sequin may return and jewellery may be just a little lighter.I see in some dancers (though not all) a fusion of tribal moves and raqs sharki.
Simply some dancers want to have their cake and eat it. A touch of angel cake to blend to a rich heavy fruit cake.
I really look forward to seeing Ava performing at JoY. She was a delight last time. she will do it well I am sure but boy have I seen a couple of confusing examples. Isn't that the sme for Tribal, Fusion and Egyptian style belly dance? Tribaret is not something I fancy doing my self but it is something that ican be clearly labelled...well it is to me.
I don't have a problem with catagorising the dance..probably down to the fact I spent two years as a University librarian deep in the Library of Congress system and shelving accurately.:D

mandyt

When I asked Ava Fleming what Tribaret was for the JoY workshop this is what Ava sent me.
Mixing Cabaret, ATS and Tribal Fusion, you will learn some history behind the evolution of each style, and then you mix and match all 3 together.

Ava is a great dancer & teacher. She won Belly Dancer of the Universe in 2004. Ava’s worked & trained with Domba.
I think to do any kind of fusion style; you have to be good at both styles. So if any one can do Tribaret Ava can.

Ariadne

thanks for so many answers (and beautiful pics and videos)!
obviously the definition of tribaret is not that clear to the others either...
i am not keen on labels and defining dance style and everything properly, but i'd like to at least understand the others discussing

I find that what Tribaret means depends on the person using it and the context or the performance/conversation. In essence it's some kind of Tribal and Cabaret mix but how much and in what proportion is totally up to the person. As long as you just keep in mind that they mean a fusion in some way you'll be able to get whatever they're saying.

I even read of one troop that actually came up with their own Cabaret combination's with "cues" like they use in A/ITS and did an extemporaneous performance with them. Now I think that is pretty creative.

When I asked Ava Fleming what Tribaret was for the JoY workshop this is what Ava sent me.
Mixing Cabaret, ATS and Tribal Fusion, you will learn some history behind the evolution of each style, and then you mix and match all 3 together.

Ava is a great dancer & teacher. She won Belly Dancer of the Universe in 2004. Ava’s worked & trained with Domba.
I think to do any kind of fusion style; you have to be good at both styles. So if any one can do Tribaret Ava can.
Can we hope she'll make a video soon? I love her instruction videos!

maria_harlequin

Waaaaaaaaaah...I'm sorry, but some of those videos labeled as "tribaret" looks like plain hogwash to me. Especially this one:

Where's the cabaret or the tribal if we're using "tribaret" to describe a dance? Where's the cabaret or the tribal if we're using it to define a costuming style?

Argh.

lizaj

Waaaaaaaaaah...I'm sorry, but some of those videos labeled as "tribaret" looks like plain hogwash to me. Especially this one:

Where's the cabaret or the tribal if we're using "tribaret" to describe a dance? Where's the cabaret or the tribal if we're using it to define a costuming style?

Argh.

I saw a burlesque element ,Maria

Ariadne

That's right! Back in June Dreamthief said she was taking a Tribaret Workshop from Ava Fleming at JoY but I don't remember her ever commenting on how it went. :think: Dreamthief, any chance you could tell us about it?
It's not until Oct..we book early.;)

PS not me..I am bouncing around to folk and trying to put a bit of sparkle in my raqs sharki
October has come and gone. Any chance of someone who took Ava Fleming's workshop telling us about it? :pray:

BattyBaby

Tribaret often refers to a branch of costuming (usually an oriental or bedlah-like silhouette, but made with tribal costuming materials, such as tassels), but it's also used to describe a heavily stylized and "glitzy" version of tribal or tribal fusion, or, as you described, a fusion of the two styles.

Amulya

When it comes to my own dancing, that's cabaret style as basis, but I don't like cabaret style arms so I do 'tribal arms' and I mix in some tribal fusion elements but not many. I also often add some tribal fusion elements to my costuming but again, cabaret style is the main style of my costumes. So strictly speaking I couldn't call my dancing pure cabaret or pure Egyptian. Hope this makes sense :)