tribaret?

chiaroscura

hi all -
can you explain to me what is "tribaret"? i read the term several times, but i think i didn't get the idea right... is it about the movements, the costume, the attitude? tribal moves with cabaret attitude? cabaret moves with tribal costume?

thank you!

chiaroscura

well... e.g. there is a thread "tribal, ats ..." started by amulya saying "i count myself as tribaret" - the others responding seemed to know what she meant, i do not :confused:
i looked on youtube, but the videos tagged as tribaret could also be called tribal fusion (and some of them were). so is it something really different or rather another name?

alosha

also know as "glamour tribal" for those who like the mix of sparkly and tribal aspects. Usually in a tribal performance setting. My understanding is it is a costuming term, not a dance style. A lot of Ansuya's more recent costumes are "tribaret" style.

Ariadne

also know as "glamour tribal" for those who like the mix of sparkly and tribal aspects. Usually in a tribal performance setting. My understanding is it is a costuming term, not a dance style. A lot of Ansuya's more recent costumes are "tribaret" style.

I've read older dancers describe it as "classic cabaret" style. Pre-costumes from Egypt with all the beading and stuff back when everyone had to make their own. Basically though it is either glammed up Tribal or earthy Cabaret. It is usually a costuming choice I'll agree but there are those who use it to describe a dance style too. Usually it's from a tribal setting but basically it's Tribal style dance fused not with "world dance" but American Cabaret. Sometimes the fusion is just using choreographing instead of cued improve with fancier outfits, sometimes it's a solo combining tribal style moves with a cab format, usually though it's just fancy "sparkly" costuming with a mostly ITS/Tribal Fusion performance.

Here's some pretty good example of a few Tribaret costumes:
Burgundy Tribaret
belt side view, other side
Green/Blue Tribaret
Black Tribaret
Ansuya
and of course from here: Amulya Tribaret Costume, Tribal Cabaret Fusion Bra

Perhaps Amulya could explain it better though.

I heard of Tribaret within a few months of starting classes and was interested by it myself but I am not sure if it is just a passing fad or an lasting rebellion against the industry standard costumes of Tribal/Fusion/Cabaret dancing (Tribal isn't pretty enough, Fusion is too dark, and Cabaret is too polished/flashy). Come to think of it alosha you're very "Tribaret". ;)

Shanazel

Someone explained it to me as being "urban tribal." How's that to add to the confusion? :D Like Alosha, I have always thought tribaret was a costume term and not a dance style.

Personally, I like the tribaret costuming style- it fits my personality better than the pure cabaret flash. I suppose that's why I've clung to my coins throughout the eras of beaded fringe and decorated lycra. No matter what I polish on myself or how much hairspray I use, I end up looking more like a hippie dippy dancer from the seventies than a smooth sophisticate of the modern belly dancing stage. Twenty years ago, I just gave up and decided to make it work for me. ;););)

Sita

I've read older dancers describe it as "classic cabaret" style. Pre-costumes from Egypt with all the beading and stuff back when everyone had to make their own. Basically though it is either glammed up Tribal or earthy Cabaret. It is usually a costuming choice I'll agree but there are those who use it to describe a dance style too. Usually it's from a tribal setting but basically it's Tribal style dance fused not with "world dance" but American Cabaret. Sometimes the fusion is just using choreographing instead of cued improve with fancier outfits, sometimes it's a solo combining tribal style moves with a cab format, usually though it's just fancy "sparkly" costuming with a mostly ITS/Tribal Fusion performance.

Here's some pretty good example of a few Tribaret costumes:
Burgundy Tribaret
belt side view, other side
Green/Blue Tribaret
Black Tribaret
Ansuya
and of course from here: Amulya Tribaret Costume, Tribal Cabaret Fusion Bra

Perhaps Amulya could explain it better though.

I heard of Tribaret within a few months of starting classes and was interested by it myself but I am not sure if it is just a passing fad or an lasting rebellion against the industry standard costumes of Tribal/Fusion/Cabaret dancing (Tribal isn't pretty enough, Fusion is too dark, and Cabaret is too polished/flashy). Come to think of it alosha you're very "Tribaret". ;)

I really like that Green Blue costume. I always connect Tribaret with Ansuya (although I know her style is Cab-rib-usion or something like that). I've also heard of lessons being held for Tribaret which indicates it's moved away from being just a costume term into a proper style of dancing.

Sita

P.S air kisses to my Arm'dillo dancing friend Alosha ;)

Ariadne

I've also heard of lessons being held for Tribaret which indicates it's moved away from being just a costume term into a proper style of dancing.
That's right! Back in June Dreamthief said she was taking a Tribaret Workshop from Ava Fleming at JoY but I don't remember her ever commenting on how it went. :think: Dreamthief, any chance you could tell us about it?

maria_harlequin

The green Bella doesn't look very Tribaret to me at all except for what looks like a few Kuchi coins. It's a very stunning costume though.

Farasha Hanem

okay, I'm getting ridiculous

Someone explained it to me as being "urban tribal." How's that to add to the confusion? :D Like Alosha, I have always thought tribaret was a costume term and not a dance style.

Personally, I like the tribaret costuming style- it fits my personality better than the pure cabaret flash. I suppose that's why I've clung to my coins throughout the eras of beaded fringe and decorated lycra. No matter what I polish on myself or how much hairspray I use, I end up looking more like a hippie dippy dancer from the seventies than a smooth sophisticate of the modern belly dancing stage. Twenty years ago, I just gave up and decided to make it work for me. ;););)

:think: Hmmmmmmmmmm...maybe "Metro-Tribexual"? XD

Lydia

chiaroscura,hi there i just having a laugh about it,so funny all the labels they put on dancing,LOL....I work in the middle east for so long and overhere we dont use all the ,,labels, we just dance....well at least where i work!!But in my private life i also never go for labels or brands ,so i geuss i am not a label person... but i did not want to make you feel yak about posting this ....i am sure there are plenty of people that know what you are talking about...i just hade a laugh it sounds so funny to me...have a wunderfull day dear...

lizaj

That's right! Back in June Dreamthief said she was taking a Tribaret Workshop from Ava Fleming at JoY but I don't remember her ever commenting on how it went. :think: Dreamthief, any chance you could tell us about it?

It's not until Oct..we book early.;)

PS not me..I am bouncing around to folk and trying to put a bit of sparkle in my raqs sharki

Sita

The green Bella doesn't look very Tribaret to me at all except for what looks like a few Kuchi coins. It's a very stunning costume though.

So do you think I could get away with it in a cabaret performance? :D
*starts mentally calculating the months of saving up*

So is Tribaret recognised as distinct stlye of dance in the Tribal community? or is it just starting up? anyone have any clips to give us an clear idea...

Sita

Ariadne

chiaroscura,hi there i just having a laugh about it,so funny all the labels they put on dancing,LOL....I work in the middle east for so long and overhere we dont use all the ,,labels, we just dance....
I wish it was more like that here, but if people insist on labeling and creating narrow definitions of what is or isn't then you're forced to come up with a new name when you don't fit in the niche. Even then it is still kinda funny I will admit. Maybe I'll make that my new logo - "just dance!"

It's not until Oct..we book early.;)
If all the bellydance classes are already sold out I can see why!

So do you think I could get away with it in a cabaret performance? :D
*starts mentally calculating the months of saving up*
I am sure you could. :D

So is Tribaret recognised as distinct stlye of dance in the Tribal community? or is it just starting up? anyone have any clips to give us an clear idea...
I think it's still developing. I would love to see what Ava Fleming is doing with it though (she's one of the dancers whose skills I admire greatly), but in lue of that here's some clips of self titled Tribaret I posted in another thread on the subject:

Ariadne

...and some more new ones. Remember these are self labeled as Tribaret, there is quite a variety. ... The first one scares me. Also the Dancing Belly! on you tube describes most of their stuff as Tribaret.

(starts at 3min)