Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More questions about classes...

Sorry, I don't know if I should have kept on going in my last thread but I felt like posting a new topic... it is a little different.

After finding that course on my base I started "investigating" about the teacher... no one knows her name, or her style, or anything. I'm kinda turned off by that and then someone mentioned it is a bellydance fitness class. I'm sure it would be fun but I'm not interested.

Anyways thanks to chiaroscura here on BDF I learned about several teachers in my area. (PS - I'm glad that there is someone else from Mannheim.)

So there is Fadima Jones and there are only two videos of her on YouTube and both are pretty bad quality (blurry and the camera person doesn't focus on her). She is closer to me because she actually in Mannheim but her workshop and classes page is a bit of a mess. I have no idea about pricing or anything.
    HERE IS HER VID

For some reason I am drawn to Chryssanthi Sahar in Heidelberg, which is only a 20 minute drive for me. Her next beginner classes start in October and the prices are reasonable. Semester goes for 10 evenings (75 minutes per class) and it all costs 90 Euros (so 9 Euros per class). She has lots of vids to watch and I was just wondering what you guys think...
    Raqs Sharqi video and Drum Solo

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

That's great that you are able to investigate a bit and find more options for classes.
    It's nearly imposssible to say who's a good teacher from a bad quality performance video so you could contact her, find out about prices and ask to try one class (either if she let's you do it for free or if you could pay for a single class) to get a better idea of her teaching style/experience.

Chryssanti is a member of this forum and I am sure that if you go to her you will get a good proper bellydance class with good technique and all else you would need or want
    Of course there is also a question of what style you like and also pure chemistry between teacher and student.
    Why not message her through the forum and make contact?

Good luck with you classes. I never researched before I started dancing, I just went to the very first teacher I found and luckily it was a good one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    That's great that you are able to investigate a bit and find more options for classes.
    Yeah I'm so glad I got more info.

It's nearly imposssible to say who's a good teacher from a bad quality performance video
    I hear ya. I probably should try to contact her.

Chryssanti is a member of this forum and I am sure that if you go to her you will get a good proper bellydance class with good technique and all else you would need or want
    Oh how super is that! I didn't even think to search for her here. Derrrrr to me! Yes she seems very nice and good.

Of course there is also a question of what style you like
    Well my goal is to have good bellydance basics in order to go on into Tribal. I like watching dancers like Sadie, Rachel Brice, and several others. When I watched Chryssanti's videos I liked her style too. I don't know... very confused wanna-be bellydancer to-be here.

also pure chemistry between teacher and student.
    Chemistry is important and sometimes it just comes down to getting good info. I have noticed though that all the classes I liked in uni and high school were the ones with teachers/professors I clicked with.

I never researched before I started dancing, I just went to the very first teacher I found and luckily it was a good one.
    That is some good luck. I tend to research stuff I like or want to get into.... A LOT! Before I bought my dance pole I researched for months what I wanted and watched tons to videos. When I got my digi camera I compared prices and tech specs. Don't even ask me how many years it took me to figure out what dog breed I liked. Oh, I'm a researcher at heart but it isn't my career path at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Classes

Hi,

my name is Fadima Jones, i am kinda sad, that you come to my page, and don't leave a message or call me for your questions, instead you ask people in a forum, who don't know me at all.
    I always offer a free class, which everyone can take just to see, how my classes go.
    A stupid video, can never tell, how good a teacher is, not even a very good video, because teaching and dancing are two different things.

Anyways, i have many students, who became professional dancers, and many of them are dancing in videos of popstars in turkey or other countries.

My doors are always open for everyone, who want to come and see. I really didn't understand the problem, why you couldn't write me and ask me in person.

Please, don't think i want you to come to me now or anything like that, just like one of the nice ladies here said it, when the trust and chemistry is messed up, it would never work anyways.

Just wanted to give you the advice, check with the right person before you judge.

By the middle of january 2011, i will publish my new website, including videos, then you can judge again.

I just wrote this, cause i really didn't like the way this happened..

Wish you a lots of fun and succes in your dancing, keep the fun..

Fadima Jones

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Fadima,
    I am sorry you are not happy about this, but it really is very normal for people to ask around on foras about teachers, as well as seeking advice about dvds, music and events. Noone said anything bad about you, only that your website was difficult to understand and that it was difficult to see your dancing on the video.
    I don't remember if I looked at your website or not, but since the original poster had problems finding the right info, it is probably a great idea to launch your new, improved site. I hope it is going well with it It's the window to us, the students.

This thread is one and a half years old and I am not sure if PoleDanceABCs is still active here.
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fadima Jones View Post
    Hi,

my name is Fadima Jones, i am kinda sad, that you come to my page, and don't leave a message or call me for your questions, instead you ask people in a forum, who don't know me at all.
    I always offer a free class, which everyone can take just to see, how my classes go.
    A stupid video, can never tell, how good a teacher is, not even a very good video, because teaching and dancing are two different things.

Anyways, i have many students, who became professional dancers, and many of them are dancing in videos of popstars in turkey or other countries.

My doors are always open for everyone, who want to come and see. I really didn't understand the problem, why you couldn't write me and ask me in person.

Please, don't think i want you to come to me now or anything like that, just like one of the nice ladies here said it, when the trust and chemistry is messed up, it would never work anyways.

Just wanted to give you the advice, check with the right person before you judge.

By the middle of january 2011, i will publish my new website, including videos, then you can judge again.

I just wrote this, cause i really didn't like the way this happened..

Wish you a lots of fun and succes in your dancing, keep the fun..

Fadima Jones
    Someone was honestly inquiring about your classes in the same way you might ask your friends an acquaintances whether so-and-so is a decent mechanic, or to recommend you a good dentist, or hairstylist, or whatever.

Some questions are best left asked to the professional (prices, etc) but it is perfectly within reason to wonder if someone is good, and THAT is not a question you will ask the person herself because OBVIOUSLY they will say they are good whether or not they are.

The person who posted this topic thought there might be people here who would know you and would be able to tell them what they know about you. This is called freedom of speech. If someone had something negative to say, you should be able to reflect on whether or not the person had a good point, and if so, take that negative criticism and use it to improve. If something positive was said, you could know what to keep doing. If something unfair was said, you could defend yourself and present your side of the story.

You shouldn't take this post personally at all... can you imagine a world where doctors get upset because someone asked someone other than them if they are any good? Actually, not only got upset, but BANNED anyone who did any "research" on them beforehand from ever becoming a patient? What a horrible world that would be!

This is essencially what you are doing, by telling a potential student she is no longer welcome in your class just because she asked someone else about your classes.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't leave you rep Yame, but have some virtual rep for those wise words.

The idea of a teacher getting upset and saying I'd messed up the chemistry already because I'd dared to ask others about her classes puts me off far more than an unhelpful website or any number of video clips posted by other people.

To me any chemistry in a student-teacher relationship is something you build together over time, not something that's there as soon as you hand over your first lesson fee.

Post Thanks / Like

Sad

Hi,
    I am totally misundertood here...I wasn't upset at all, only sad and if you all read her message RIGHT, then you can read, that she wrote someone called my classes bellydance fitness, my classes are far away from that, that is judging before knowing, then i only mentioned the free class, because it is the best way to find out yourself, if you do like the class and what you think of the person....
    If she asked me, i could have told her, she can come, or even read it on my page at that time....
    She already judged me from videos, which were not representing my qualities as a teacher.
    Those 2 videos are removed a long time ago, because some person filmed it and put it online, without my permission, it was a turkish event, where i was soo cold with frozen feet, i always dance barefoot, cut my foot with a big piece of glass, was being stopped dancing constantly, cause they kept trying to put money in my costume, so i couldn't dance at all, and so many many things that went wrong...
    I hated that video, but even the best video in the world does not show how someone can teach....
    I love egyptian dancers, and they (not all ) are famous for not teaching good, or explaining good..
    So what does that tell me...
    I repeat: the free class is the best way to find out with your own eyes, what you think about the class and the person..
    I live where she lives, hello how simple was that.
    A doctor, can't offer a treatment for free or invite someone to his medical caring to make a future patient watch and maybe become a patient...????

A danceteacher can..., there is a difference..

I am the last person, who would judge someone because, she was doing something good for herself by asking, i just don't judge other teachers or dancers by i head she said, and some messed up videos, that were obviouse, that didn't show her true repertoire as a teacher or a dancer.., she did..

I hope, you understand it this time, i was not trying to attack anyone..

Wish all of you fun at dancing..

Fadima Jones

Post Thanks / Like

Fadima I think you are the one who has misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by Fadima Jones View Post
    ... if you all read her message RIGHT, then you can read, that she wrote someone called my classes bellydance fitness...
    She didn't. First she said she was investigating the course on her base, and that was the one she couldn't find out much about apart from someone saying it was a fitness class.

Then she said she'd got some leads on other classes in her area from another member here; yours and Chryssanthi's.

She already judged me from videos, which were not representing my qualities as a teacher.
    She made no judgement on you at all from the video clip. She said they were bad quality video, made no comment on the dancing, and in her second post took up on Gisela's comment about not being able to tell much about someone's dancing or teaching from that sort of footage.

The only judgement she made was on your website not being helpful (which you are fixing anyway), and that she was drawn to Chryssanthi because of her clips.

Maybe she did turn up to your classes, maybe she didn't contact you because your classes weren't convenient for her, maybe she went to Chryssanthi, maybe she got bored with the whole idea and has taken up something else by now!

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry Fadima, but if you put yourself out there as a professional, and as a teacher, you will be judged by others whether you like it or not. This doesn't excuse someone from being rude (although they are free to do so) but I don't feel this is what happened at all in this forum.

When you are looking for a service, you check resourses and information on the person or company providing that service, you check for references, etc. Whether or not it's a doctor. Whether or not they provide free samples. You do your research and you make up opinions based on what you find. You ask around. This is all that happened here.

It's nice that you found the thread to add your own perspective to it (even if it's a year later and the original poster isn't even around anymore), but as much as you might say you are not attacking anyone, you did take this thread very personally as is shown by your statement that the original poster is "no longer welcome" in your class because of her post.

Just so you know: I don't know who you are, I haven't looked at your website, I haven't looked at your videos. I am not making any judgment about you as a teacher or as a dancer. I am in the other side of the world and don't need to look into taking classes with you. I am not here to attack you. But your response to this thread I thought was unreasonable and I hope for your own sake that you will take the time to think about why you are internalizing the things that were said about your website and your videos (no one said you were a bad dancer, or a bad teacher, they did say that they couldn't tell from the website, which is the kind of "criticism" you should take and use constructively). It is not healthy to take every little thing as a personal attack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast