Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    I didn't do a solo until I'd been dancing a couple of years, then that was a stage thing. I'd have had a go sooner if a suitable opportunity was there, like a very student-friendly hafla, but we didn't really have the numbers or enough brave souls and/or drama queens who'd go for it back then!

Terrifying at the time, but for me the more you do, even if it's just in front of the class, the better it gets. No one but you knows that you did that last bit all wrong... very liberating.

I love the idea of turning falling on your arse into floorwork.
    If I remember rightly that was Caroline Afifi's advice when I was attempting a solo in theatre and got scared of the dark!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say when you have the confidence. Six years of dancing and still no chance of me getting up and performing, though if the dance floor is empty, I don't mind getting up if I like the music - that makes no sense!

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been dancing on and off for about 8 years and still not had the balls to get up and solo!

Kept thinking that doing the tribal and class group pieces would be the way to reduce my performance nerves and also the 'gentle introduction' into solo work. From these posts i may be wrong! Ah well lets see how we fare in November!

Post Thanks / Like

Aww bellyfester, you have just made me feel better - i thought I was the only scaredy-cat

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! nope! Like you Chilla I'm happy to mince around on an empty dance floor but then there is not the weight of EXPECTATION to entertain and be in any way good!

Think the only time I was not nervous was when i rolled up to an evening Hafla steaming after our works xmas do (which started at 11am) and did our class piece. I had forwarned my teacher well in advance that It would NOT be a good idea to have me join in but er she was having non of it- More the merrier. And I was merry enough for everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Default My first performance

I first performed "solo" but as part of a tag team at university - i'd only been learning a few months. It was really good fun tho and showed me early on that I could improvise if I put my mind to it!

That said, since that one brief performance I have only performed as part of a group - I joined classes back home and love performing with my class and my troupe. Maybe I'll ask my teacher if I can do a solo at the xmas hafla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12