When did you first perform solo at a hafla?

Emma_Williams

I have been dancing for over a year now and I am due to perform as part of a group for a hafla in November which is so exciting but nerve wrecking at te same time!! I seem to put lots of moves and combos together at home and was just wondering how long it was before people had the confidence and in their eyes the ability to perform alone?

Kharis

I have been dancing for over a year now and I am due to perform as part of a group for a hafla in November which is so exciting but nerve wrecking at te same time!! I seem to put lots of moves and combos together at home and was just wondering how long it was before people had the confidence and in their eyes the ability to perform alone?

Within a few months. My first teacher did not give opportunities for students to do solo work or dance at haflahs. She was the star of the show and that was that. the very first performance was via a fashion show rather than a real performance. Needless to say I soon flew the nest and did my own thing. Later, I heard that she finally gave in and offered student slots. By that time I'd turned professional and was holding haflahs of my own. I never stopped my students from performing, in fact I encouraged it. So I say to anyone considering a solo... go for it.

lizaj

Within a few months. My first teacher did not give opportunities for students to do solo work or dance at haflahs. She was the star of the show and that was that. the very first performance was via a fashion show rather than a real performance. Needless to say I soon flew the nest and did my own thing. Later, I heard that she finally gave in and offered student slots. By that time I'd turned professional and was holding haflahs of my own. I never stopped my students from performing, in fact I encouraged it. So I say to anyone considering a solo... go for it.

She got me to do one alright. I shudder thinkng of it but then I look back at all that unexpected enthusiam to perform (last thing I though a weekly dance class would lead to) and the relief when it was over and the path it put me on. You are encouraged to think you are worthy of entertaining your peers.Gradually it dawns on you that solos are a lot easier than troupework with all its' responsibilities(not scaring you , amI ;)?)
After all you fall on your arse and it's floor work in'it?:)
No-one has to perform, you don't have ever to prove anything about your pleasure in the dance but most of us think yeh..why not I'm putting effort into learning this dance so why shouldn't I?
Pick the right event fr yourself and yes, go for it....

maria_harlequin

Actually, for me, performing as a soloist is a lot less nerve wracking than dancing as a group!! As a group, if you make a mistake, you stand out and it affects the group visually and it could also throw everyone off. There's also a lot of pressure in order to look like a group, not as a bunch of individuals just dancing to the same music. Make a mistake when you're doing a solo and no one will ever know. There's also a lot of room to really be yourself and get lost in the music.

Have fun with it :D This is your time to shine.

My first solo ever was at a friend's wedding and it was for an audience of 800. I was a nervous wreak before it began but when you're out there alone with the music and you know everyone's watching you...well try and enjoy it! :D

gisela

Super Moderator
I think it took over two years before I performed solo. Group performance happened after three months and a few times a year from then on. When I tried the solo-dancing suddenly realised what it was all about :D It was so different.

Emma_Williams

yikes now I am scared about the tribal group work!!! What is most daunting is the fact it is improv but hey I am a tribal belly dancer so why whinge :) Thanks for the advice. I have no events planned and LizaJ is my teacher so just want to establish I have no other hafla connections hehe not that Liz would mind she is very encouraging but I guess I am just planning for the future and any events that may arise.

Kharis

She got me to do one alright. I shudder thinkng of it but then I look back at all that unexpected enthusiam to perform (last thing I though a weekly dance class would lead to) and the relief when it was over and the path it put me on. You are encouraged to think you are worthy of entertaining your peers.Gradually it dawns on you that solos are a lot easier than troupework with all its' responsibilities(not scaring you , amI ;)?)
After all you fall on your arse and it's floor work in'it?:)
No-one has to perform, you don't have ever to prove anything about your pleasure in the dance but most of us think yeh..why not I'm putting effort into learning this dance so why shouldn't I?
Pick the right event fr yourself and yes, go for it....

We all had to start somewhere. And why not...be it whether other's consider us ready or not. If I'd have listened to my teacher, I would not have had the 13 year career I had. It's all about encouragement to empower. I think it's great that someone has the balls to get up there and go for it. So what if it isn't perfect...none of us are.

Shanazel

Actually, for me, performing as a soloist is a lot less nerve wracking than dancing as a group!! As a group, if you make a mistake, you stand out and it affects the group visually and it could also throw everyone off. There's also a lot of pressure in order to look like a group, not as a bunch of individuals just dancing to the same music. Make a mistake when you're doing a solo and no one will ever know. There's also a lot of room to really be yourself and get lost in the music.

What Maria said!!!! I can solo without a single hiccup of anxiety, but group dances are almost enough to make me cry. :lol:

My first performance was in a lodge in Fox Park, Wyoming in the middle of a howling blizzard. Every rancher and logger in the area came because it was the only show around and they all had cabin fever. I was nervous, but ended up having a lovely time. My teacher invited me to share her bi-monthly gig there. God bless Jackie, wherever she is. She did me more than one good turn and I hope she has had a stellar life.

Aniseteph

I didn't do a solo until I'd been dancing a couple of years, then that was a stage thing. I'd have had a go sooner if a suitable opportunity was there, like a very student-friendly hafla, but we didn't really have the numbers or enough brave souls and/or drama queens who'd go for it back then!

Terrifying at the time, but for me the more you do, even if it's just in front of the class, the better it gets. No one but you knows that you did that last bit all wrong... very liberating. :dance:

I love the idea of turning falling on your arse into floorwork. :lol: :cool:

lizaj

I didn't do a solo until I'd been dancing a couple of years, then that was a stage thing. I'd have had a go sooner if a suitable opportunity was there, like a very student-friendly hafla, but we didn't really have the numbers or enough brave souls and/or drama queens who'd go for it back then!

Terrifying at the time, but for me the more you do, even if it's just in front of the class, the better it gets. No one but you knows that you did that last bit all wrong... very liberating. :dance:

I love the idea of turning falling on your arse into floorwork. :lol: :cool:

If I remember rightly that was Caroline Afifi's advice when I was attempting a solo in theatre and got scared of the dark!:D

chilla

I'd say when you have the confidence. Six years of dancing and still no chance of me getting up and performing, though if the dance floor is empty, I don't mind getting up if I like the music - that makes no sense!

bellyfester

Ive been dancing on and off for about 8 years and still not had the balls to get up and solo!

Kept thinking that doing the tribal and class group pieces would be the way to reduce my performance nerves and also the 'gentle introduction' into solo work. From these posts i may be wrong! Ah well lets see how we fare in November!

bellyfester

Ha! nope! Like you Chilla I'm happy to mince around on an empty dance floor but then there is not the weight of EXPECTATION to entertain and be in any way good! :D

Think the only time I was not nervous was when i rolled up to an evening Hafla steaming after our works xmas do (which started at 11am) and did our class piece. I had forwarned my teacher well in advance that It would NOT be a good idea to have me join in but er she was having non of it- More the merrier. And I was merry enough for everyone!:redface:

My first performance

I first performed "solo" but as part of a tag team at university - i'd only been learning a few months. It was really good fun tho and showed me early on that I could improvise if I put my mind to it! :dance:

That said, since that one brief performance I have only performed as part of a group - I joined classes back home and love performing with my class and my troupe. Maybe I'll ask my teacher if I can do a solo at the xmas hafla :think: