Tribal Fusion or Tribaret...problems??

Darbla

Again, Rachel is calling her style Dark Cabaret.

Yet she wears a lot of tribal jewelry, and does a lot of movements that aren't seen in cabaret. And really she does so much different stuff, none of it can wear the same descriptive label.

I was in a weekend-long workshop of Ansuya's a couple months ago. I remember her saying (and I'm paraphrasing) that a lot of people get hung up on what to call the dance they're doing when we should just relax and enjoy the dance. I think I'm just going to call what my troupe does "Middle Eastern and modern dance with influences from _______" since we'll do anything that's fun and interesting, but since that's a mouthful we'll just have to settle with "bellydance" for advertising. After all, "Bellydance Superstars" do more than just bellydance.

CarrieKonyha

Tribaret bellydance

My idea of Tribaret is blending tribal + cabaret in dance styling & costuming.

Check out this Tribaret DVD

‘Tribaret’ - ! It stands for ‘Tribal + Cabaret’ and it is the versatile, sophisticated style where Cabaret bellydance meets Tribal bellydance improvisation.

Tribaret Bellydance - Techniques & Combinations for the Versatile Dancer is an open-level instruction and practice program created by Carrie Konyha. Known for her artistic versatility & genuine Middle Eastern dance aesthetic, Carrie is a lifelong and career professional dancer who has performed in the styles of Orientale and Folkloric in addition to Tribal Improvisation.

Through this in-depth instructional program you will learn Carrie Konyha's signature Tribaret style: The blending of Orientale & Folkloric stylings with Tribal improvisation. Carrie creates graceful and dazzling dance combinations that merge the glamour of Cabaret bellydance with the earthy, soulful vibe of Tribal dance. Carrie integrates fluid & percussive bellydance movements with travel steps, turns, level changes, shimmies, and sophisticated layering.

Cues Provided
For tribal / tribal fusion group improvisational performances, Carrie provides cues ready for your use. Cues are provided for all of the dance combinations in this program. If you plan to use these combinations in solo cabaret performance, of course the combinations you learn here can also be presented without the use of the cues.

Carrie Konyha's Tribaret Bellydance - Techniques & Combinations for the Versatile Dancer includes a warmup...movement isolation drills...and step-by-step breakdown and practice flows for each and every tribal and cabaret move taught in the program.

Join Carrie Konyha to discover the alluring artistry of…Tribaret!

check out DVD promo trailer here

TRIBARET BELLYDANCE with Carrie Konyha :: DVD :: WorldDanceNewYork.com - YouTube

Darbla

Carrie, I bought that recently and am really enjoying it. I would say it's for an intermediate dancer; I do not consider it easy enough for a beginner. While I am not learning any moves that are new to me, I love how they're all put together here in your choreography. The music is not my favorite and I don't think I could use this music in the restaurants I've danced at because they prefer something less techno and less synthesized sounding, but the moves would easily work with more traditional music. I'm happy I bought it. :dance:

CarrieKonyha

Hi!

Im glad you are liking the DVD! yes the program is meant to bring dancers up to advanced intermediate levels. While the music used ont he DVD can work for fun n funky fusion synchronised group improv performances (White Lotus Bellydance uses many of these songs ourselves), I agree that it would not be the best pick for restaurant solos but you know how it is with combo oriented instructional dvd's, - its best to use music with a steady repetative beat to allow for easy to follow allong drills & practice segments . :)

Since the combos are all based on 4/4 time, they can all be easlily adapted to any kind of traditional cabaret & fusion music for solo performances:)

Have fun!
Carrie

teela

Carrie: I got the DVD and I"m working my way through it. I am glad to know these combinations can be done to 4/4 music as I've seen several I really enjoy but the music for the most part is not my thing. In addition, there is one combination that gave me a better understanding of how to do a certain basic step. I am hoping to finish my first go through this weekend, so I can then concentrate on those steps and combinations I like best. The only thing that I have trouble with is that some of the names are not the names that go with the step I learned so I"m assuming that is a tribal vs cabaret naming methods.