Zadiel and Zadiraks in the NY Times

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Interesting...

As a straight male Belly Dancer, I can tell you that it gets tiresome being hit on by what I refer to as "feral women". Said "ladies" don't even seem to care that I'm married! Fortunately, most "feral women" are not dance sisters (who for the most part treat me respectfully).

lizaj

Interesting...

As a straight male Belly Dancer, I can tell you that it gets tiresome being hit on by what I refer to as "feral women". Said "ladies" don't even seem to care that I'm married! Fortunately, most "feral women" are not dance sisters (who for the most part treat me respectfully).

Well out of 4 male belly dancers I know, half are married. I am sure that a larger proportion worldwide are gay. This does mean that I am less self-conscious about sharing a dressing room than I might be with a straight guy and I will get better advice on make-up and costuming (on the whole).
However I do have sympathy, Zorba because really what does it matter a dancer's sexuality. And no one ever enquires of a female dancer, her sexual preferences...I assume because they believe it is irrelevent and nobody's business but our own.

Pirika Repun

I read the ORIGINAL NY Times article, and it was not mention that he is gay. The article mentioned how he became male Oriental dancer and how he is doing right now. Nothing related with his sexuality.

Taking Bellydancing to Ballet Heights - Globespotters Blog - NYTimes.com

I really don't care any dancers' sexuality both male and female.

The bothers me is not many people talk or care about male Hip-Hop or/and African dancers' sexuality, but always assume sexuality of ballet, Jazz, and Oriental dances. You never know maybe many Hip-Hop dancers are gay, but just of image (Hip-Hop as ghetto strong male image) to not think about their sexuality. The same thing for the sports. Some one is doing figure skating, then think he is gay, but not football players. But reality is both sports have gay people.

I think why people don't care if female dancers are lesbian, because society don't care about women's sexuality. I mean, men have to be men in the society, and can't be loved each other, but women are fine, and I think this is also male fantasy of tow women, but don't want think or imagine two men together.

When gay men USE art form of dance (any dance) to express their sexuality then I have problem with them. The same for the women. If women use dance as express their sexual appearance or only want to get attention from men, then I have problem. It doesn't matter anybody's sexuality, but I just want to see dancers LOVE and RESPECT this art form and culture.

Sita

I read the ORIGINAL NY Times article, and it was not mention that he is gay. The article mentioned how he became male Oriental dancer and how he is doing right now. Nothing related with his sexuality.

Taking Bellydancing to Ballet Heights - Globespotters Blog - NYTimes.com

I really don't care any dancers' sexuality both male and female.

The bothers me is not many people talk or care about male Hip-Hop or/and African dancers' sexuality, but always assume sexuality of ballet, Jazz, and Oriental dances. You never know maybe many Hip-Hop dancers are gay, but just of image (Hip-Hop as ghetto strong male image) to not think about their sexuality. The same thing for the sports. Some one is doing figure skating, then think he is gay, but not football players. But reality is both sports have gay people.

I think why people don't care if female dancers are lesbian, because society don't care about women's sexuality. I mean, men have to be men in the society, and can't be loved each other, but women are fine, and I think this is also male fantasy of tow women, but don't want think or imagine two men together.

When gay men USE art form of dance (any dance) to express their sexuality then I have problem with them. The same for the women. If women use dance as express their sexual appearance or only want to get attention from men, then I have problem. It doesn't matter anybody's sexuality, but I just want to see dancers LOVE and RESPECT this art form and culture.

I agree with most of your points except the one where you suggest society does not care about women's sexuality. I have witnessed numerous situations where for example a women who is good at what are viewed as 'masculine sports' has her sexuality questioned. Also I know women who are passionate feminists and have their sexuality questioned continually behind their backs. Also women who perfer wearing 'masculine clothes' or are 'tomboys' like my sister. I also know of cases where women have been raped and attacked for being lesbians.

Sita

lizaj

I agree with most of your points except the one where you suggest society does not care about women's sexuality. I have witnessed numerous situations where for example a women who is good at what are viewed as 'masculine sports' has her sexuality questioned. Also I know women who are passionate feminists and have their sexuality questioned continually behind their backs. Also women who perfer wearing 'masculine clothes' or are 'tomboys' like my sister. I also know of cases where women have been raped and attacked for being lesbians.

Sita

yes I agree a woman shouldn't have to explain why she plays soccer,drives a racing car, wears Doc Martins. And in the outside world women get insults and meet prejudice if they are gay but as far as the belly dance world is concerned I've never heard anyone question or rather be concerned about a dancer's sexuality.
Of course in a simple -minded man's brain a lesbian is there to be converted and they think they know how.:mad: