Clarification on Bans/Post Removal

Sita

I didn't see the message but I did notice a banned person was able to log in, is that still possible once you've been banned - or do we have a glitch?

Sita

Mosaic

Super Moderator
*Slight Thread-jack Clarification of Infractions/post removal

*Slight thread-jack to clarify banning/removal of spam posts;)

Forum members can *(note see PS below) give infractions/ban users, send notice about spam which goes to the mods but the mods have to actually remove the post. If a mod infracts/bans, she/he will removed the post at the same time.
~Mosaic
PS: Correction I got that wrong, forum members can't give infractions but can report a post. The report goes to the mods, so that they can deal with the problem. But it does mean a mod can give an infraction/ban user, but can't remove the post. Only mods from that forum can do that. Hence sometimes a delay in removal.

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I didn't see the message but I did notice a banned person was able to log in, is that still possible once you've been banned - or do we have a glitch?

Sita

They can only read the banned msg or view threads as a guest, once banned as in forever or any of the other short term (as in one week etc) bans, even if still on line, they can't post, if someone who is banned posted then there would have to be a glitch.
~Mosaic

Reen.Blom

So one mod bans someone, and another has to remove the message? If they are banned forever, wont all their posts be removed as well? Im so slow this morning! :)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
This Thread is in response to some questions about banning of users and post removals. I am moving the posts to this thread.

Sometimes the delay in having spam posts removed must be confusing, but it is mainly due to a forum moderator either away, or the post may be posted while she or he is getting some 'beauty' sleep:D In some forums, we have mods from both hemispheres, so while one sleeps the other is active.
~Mosaic

PS: please see other threads of this title so you know what this is about at this point. I have requested Salome's help in joining the threads up. Sorry for the split at this point.

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
So one mod bans someone, and another has to remove the message? If they are banned forever, wont all their posts be removed as well? Im so slow this morning! :)

It is possible for a mod from another forum to give a user a permanent ban infraction, but cannot remove the offending post, that has to be done by a mod of the forum in question.

But a mod of a forum can do both if infractions are required in his or her forum.

Because someone is banned it doesn't mean all their posts are removed automatically, they have to be removed by a mod, and a reason given for removal. You can't just go and remove posts for no reason. But of course generally a spammer has only posted spam in various forums, and it will eventually get removed.

Hope I haven't confused you even more:D
~Mosaic

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
Hi mosaic, Sorry but I don't think general forum members can give infractions/ban users. Only send notice about spam, then the mods infract and remove posts.

Reen.Blom

I think its silly that a mod cant remove posts cross forums, One thing when it is about a heated debate, another one when it is obvious spam or some nasty stuff... I find it slightly weird that mods dont have 'cross-forum' spam fighting rights.

Anyway, you guys are doing a fab job, many thanks! I am way too lazy for smth like that... :D:D:D:

masrawy

I better not ..

infraction
infraction

good Job moderators .. :clap:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Thanks for the heads up! Just remember to report any posts that are spam etc, so a mod can get right onto it when they come online.
~Mosaic

Azeeza

I think its silly that a mod cant remove posts cross forums, One thing when it is about a heated debate, another one when it is obvious spam or some nasty stuff... I find it slightly weird that mods dont have 'cross-forum' spam fighting rights.

Anyway, you guys are doing a fab job, many thanks! I am way too lazy for smth like that... :D:D:D:

I wished all Mods could remove all spam from all boards too.

Azeeza

Salome

Administrator
I don't know about other forum versions from other companies, but in this one we have not found a way to selectively assign certain moderator permissions across forums. You can make super moderators, who have full permission everywhere, and that's something we did recently (thank you Gisela and Azeeza). On the flip side, when you have 20 + people moderating there is something to be said about 1 or 2 certain people running their 'department'. When questions, points, issues etc. come up, there is clarity over who did what and why and other points that aid from an administrating point of view.

Last edited:

Azeeza

Aha, I KNEW there was a reason. Now I know!

Thanks for clarifying the situation Salome!

Azeeza

Daimona

2 questions on spammers

Concerning spammers:
Why do we have to wait as much as 60 s between reporting spam postings?

Are there any ways to see if a post already has been reported? (I don't want to spam the moderators too much with spam reports of posts that already have been reported.)