Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

As many members said in previous posts, technique means many things.It is a base of dance, you build everything else on the technique.Many dancers neglect the significance of the good posture, for example, which is one of the essentials.
    Many girls tell me, for example that we are going too slow in the beginning.I tell them that they maybe hate me at that moment, but they will love me more in the future because of that :-).Once the basics are done badly, it is very difficult to change it.
    Postures, muscle using, complete self control ...Movements one by one, then in combinations and so on and so on....Practise, practise, practise...all that will make a good technique as a final result.

But then we have the inner thing, which is not so easy to find in many dancers.A great master Mayodi told us in one of his workshops, something I'll remember forever- a good dancer dances with the music, but a GREAT AND REAL dancer dances IN the music!!!!!!!
    We need to become one with the song, we need to get into the story, we need to "translate" the story and the atmosphere to our audience.

I do agree that technique is very important and without it, you can't actually dance, but the ability of a dancer to get someone deep inot the story and transfer the emotion and energy to her audience is the real thing.
    Many dancers I have seen don't use too many movements and combinations, their dance is "simple", but so filled with energu and emotions that they make you feel like crying.They touch your heart.They move you.They make you think.That is beyond the best technique in the world.

Expressing emotions isn't smth that you can actually learn.Maybe you can up to some point, cause you can practise facial expressions and learn some "catches", but we can always see the difference between "the real emotion" and "the acting" one..Not that the "acting" one is not for respect, but it can never be as a natural one.
    I admire to all dancers (and I especially mean the foreign, non-arabic ones) who have it in them.
    One of the dancers that moved me so much that I actually cried is Yael Zarca, from France.I hope that I won't go out of the topic if I post a link to her video that made me cry.I watched that performance in Paris live and I was really touched.A video can't always give us the "real"picture and it's usually not as strong as seing a perfomance live, but I think you'll feel her energy :-)
    That is for me an example of a great connection and balance between an excellent technique and divine emotional expression.
    YouTube - Yal (France) Paris Egyptian Dance Festival 2009 - danseuse orientale / bellydancer

What do you think about her? :-)

Post Thanks / Like

so true - that connection with what the music is all about is more persuasive than the technique...and yes, that video is beautiful.
    Last edited by adiemus; 08-31-2009 at 10:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that technique comes with time - or at least that's what I tell my students. After about 5 weeks, I start having my students listen to a piece of music & analyse it, then I put it on again & they are asked to improvise to it using the analysis they just did. When I sit back & watch them I'm looking to see that they are understanding how to interpret the music, and have good posture. The technique is less important, although if I see someone struggling with a move that they "know" works with the music I will get up and cover it with them again.

Always relating things back to my classroom! The point I'm attempting to make is that technique is important - but that it is just as important as all the other areas of dance. I feel that the most important thing as a dancer is to have a good balance.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

one thing too, is to remember that you dance because you enjoy it. If you get too caught up in trying to have the "perfect" technique, and the "right" interpretation, you lose the focus, and you become a robot on stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alosha View Post
    To me technique is really important. My first teacher taught me NOTHING about posture, and how to execute movements. She just told me to do it. So I'm un-learning all those nasty little habits (thank goodness I only danced with her for three months!!!!!).
    Thank goodness you only had three months to unlearn! I was in the same boat, and I had nearly FOUR YEARS of unlearning to do! Hard work, but I eventually did it!
    Bellydance in Kyabram!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    Thank goodness you only had three months to unlearn! I was in the same boat, and I had nearly FOUR YEARS of unlearning to do! Hard work, but I eventually did it!
    I know. I got super-lucky. But those were my "formative" classes, and it was a horror. nearly never came back to belly dance...

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Darshiva!!!!!Cause it is very, very difficult to do it!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou. It was hard work, as Alosha will tell you. Speaking of, I was quite surprised to learn that she had a similar start to dance given the quality of her dance that won her the best new dancer in another thread.

Back to topic - technique is important, just as important as everything else we do in dance.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    Thankyou. It was hard work, as Alosha will tell you. Speaking of, I was quite surprised to learn that she had a similar start to dance given the quality of her dance that won her the best new dancer in another thread.
    Its easy to win when there's no competition!

And thank you for the compliment!

Post Thanks / Like

That may well be. I'll have you note though, that I made no mention of how great you were for winning, just how great you were.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast