Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    I have seen some belly dancers at the auditions, but they have not been able to show the essence of their technique and dance soul in this short amount of time and hence not convinced the jury to send them to the next level.
    SYTYCD is not looking for dancers; it's looking for drama. BUT, given that -- the judges also know that some artists might be great dancers but won't be able to compete in the other categories of dance.

On top of THAT, they have NO idea how to judge ethnic dance.

You can say one dancer or another is entertaining, but only someone with some training in the actual ethnic dance form would know if it truly represents the form.

The question of why no belly dancers seems to get through were once asked in a class I attended. The teacher said "it is because the belly dancers who auditioned aren't really dancers" (i.e. in a classical way).
    Well, I think it's because the belly dancers don't "Cross train" in theatre dance. This show is ALLLLLLLLLL about theatre. A professional ballet dancer -- who focuses all her time and energy on ballet and doesn't cross train in jazz and ballroom -- won't get through because she isn't also competent in modern dance, hiphip, ballroom, swing, etc.

But what defines a dancer (genre not specified)?
    There have been some AWESOME break dancers on that show. But my husband doesn't consider them to be dancers because their movement isn't dependent upon the music. (You could argue the same thing about modern dance.)

I won't go there. I say it's all dance because it's a physical response to music or rhythm. Some of it I really like; some of it I don't ever care to see again in my life. Some of it is more entertaining than others, and some of it is more artistic and challenging than others. But in the end it's all dance.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't think it's a matter of auditioning right - I think the dance is still not respected by other professionals but still thought of as that "stripper dance." In fact, there was one bellydancer who has a ballet background who was ridiculed and she is an awesome, serious dancer. The problem is the perception - when that will change most likely will not occur in my lifetime

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    So just to comment hede: Perhaps if you started with extensive training in ballet at age 4, jazz and hip-hop at age 10 and belly dance at age 13, you might have a chance at SYTYCD while still in your twenties?
    very sad, but the way the show is, probably so...to cross genres I guess you would need strong flexible legs for all the contemporary, and more jumping and leaping(!) not something we tend to do in bellydance I think bellydance has a very different aesthetic quality which the judges wouldn't know how to judge.

And back to the question of technique - I wonder if the judges would realise how much technique is involved in bellydance or maybe it is all just seen as 'shaking around' from the old hoochie coochie image as someone else has said already. I wonder what they would say about someone like Sadie - would they consider that pop/locking? or just not appreciate it? I seem to remember they had a pole installed for some auditions and I think some pole dancers got through - so it's got to be more than the 'stripper' image - it's the moves they don't understand...sorry , just rambling now...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post

There have been some AWESOME break dancers on that show. But my husband doesn't consider them to be dancers because their movement isn't dependent upon the music. (You could argue the same thing about modern dance.)
    Um...what?! How does he get that? One thing I have loved about the great breakdancers on SYTYCD is that they respond so COMPLETELY tot he music--they know every little nuance and use key parts to accent with their bodies. I mean, hello?! Is he watching the same show as we are?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TribalDancer View Post
    Um...what?! How does he get that? One thing I have loved about the great breakdancers on SYTYCD is that they respond so COMPLETELY tot he music--they know every little nuance and use key parts to accent with their bodies. I mean, hello?! Is he watching the same show as we are?
    They say that about us bellydancers too!

Post Thanks / Like

SYTYCD & BD.

What we have is not codified. People don't have an ideal image that your arm MUST be here. Your foot MUST be here etc.
    Other dance forms (not all) are precise in detailing which body part goes where - so you can say whether someone is doing it correctly or not because you have a standard to adhere to.

To not have one in BD is both a blessing and a curse because it allows you to move to suit your body and your dance changes with you do but it also leaves it open for anyone to throw on a coin belt and start up teaching & also means (I think) people value it less. Because there is no standard the BD police won't nick your bedlah if you do something they don't like.

Besides if you think how long it takes to get good at BD - you're always learning. Who has time to take x amount of ballet, tap, jazz, street dance, modern, flamenco, salsa, classes? I don't have the time I want to give to BD let alone anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadie.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samiagamal View Post
    Sadie.....

Post Thanks / Like

I'd know I'm a bit late to this thread, but I'd like to share my thoughts, if I may...

the Suhaila / Sadie perfect layering thing can also be compared to photorealism in the Art world. It is common (at least in my experience) for people with minimal experience with visual arts, think the ability to render an artwork like a photo is the most amazing thing in the world. They may assume that those who paint in more expressive styles must lack the skills.

When I was a child, I was guilty of thinking like this. So I practised drawing every day, until I could draw photo-realistically. But my artworks were just mere copies of the photos, and were totally lacking in soul and expression. when I was 17 and preparing my first body of work for my final year in highschool, I went through a huge transformation. Even though I had been drawing for most my life, I had to re-teach myself to actually create art.

I see the value in being able to render a face completely life like as a skill which I can pick and choose to use when I see fit. My style of work now generally has elements of near realism, mixed in with raw and expressive areas, and the contrast between the two is of great interest to me.

Likewise, I can see the value of being able to dance with immaculate layers, and I am currently taking the online classes with Suhaila in order to learn that skill. But you won't see me dancing to an entire song like that, just as you won't see me exhibiting a photorealistic piece, though I may practice it in my journal.

Post Thanks / Like

What a fantastic comparison staranise! Thanks for sharing your perspective!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast