Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by savary View Post
    you are welcome, sorry I didn't answer your question on time, my connection was down for the past three days.
    Was it about eyon baheya song? This type of songs is called "mawal" which I coulnd't find an appropriate translation, it could be a ballad. A mawal is a song that tells a tale from the folklore and it has a certain rhyme. So, baheya is usued in many mawals, the most famous is "yassen and baheya"
    and the other one is 'eyon baheya.
    Someone else found it for me luckily, and I didn't think it was fair to get both of you hunting for it. Thank you though for the extra info: it is all helpful. Baheya seems a common name used in folklore and song is there a reason?
    yours,
    Sita

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baheya, some thoughts

well, actually I don't know the reason it is used in folklore, maybe there is a story behind it. There is also a famous poem by Ahmed Fouad Negm (one of the most famous and controversial poets who write in 'Ammeya) in which he calls Egypt, his beloved Baheya. It became a song (so famous) and this is part of it:
    Misr yamma ya baheya: Egypt, my mother you are baheya (baheya also means bright and colorful)
    ya ommo tarha we galabeya: you, with your scarf and galabeya
    el zaman shab we enty shabba: time aged and you are still young
    howa rayeh we enty gaya: he is leaving and you are coming (it is your time)

Though it is very difficult to translate becasue the terms have connotations with the Arab and Egyptian culture in particular, I think this is best I could do with my limited knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I've been wrestling with an arabic translation and thought I'd ask here!!

I'm having trouble over one little line;

تراقصني

It supposedly means "dance with me" - do you know if this is right?

Also, I'm wondering how you pronounce it, as I'm useless at converting arabic letters into english ones and working out the phonemes!

Could you give me some clues?

Thank you!!

Post Thanks / Like

Evelyn, thank you so much for offering! Which dialect of Arabic do you speak?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Shira, Evelyn was a spammer who just copied the first post in this thread. She is banned and deleted.

Post Thanks / Like

What a great thread, thanks savary!

I'm learning some Arabic at the moment from a CD. It was described as being 'Arabic' but reviews I read said it is more specifically Egyptian Arabic which is why I bought it as that's where I want to go.

I managed to speak to a visiting Egyptian briefly at the weekend (not many Egyptians in my area!) and use a couple of words. I'm really enjoying it, it's a lovely language.

I can learn speaking and listening, I'm good at learning by ear, but I know that the reading and writing are going to cause me problems!

Post Thanks / Like

I love Arabic. But i always get confused with the dialects. Fus7a is almost impossible to learn. I love the Algerian dialect and the Lebanese dialect but in my arabic class we use Egyptian and Fus7a. Egyptian is so vibrant

By the way does anyone on here learn any other Middle Eastren langauges? For example Farsi, Turkish or Kurdish? Im currently in my second year of Turkish and my first year of Arabic. I was just wondering, I have huge interest in Middle Eastren langauges.

Post Thanks / Like

Question To my Arabic-speaking friends

This is from a post on my Facebook wall. Ummmmm, what does this mean? I can't find my Google translator.

طلب منك Farasha مبلغ من المال هل تقرضه ؟
    أجاب:
    الإجابة:

I left out the person's username.

Do I even want to know what it means? Oo;;;

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    This is from a post on my Facebook wall. Ummmmm, what does this mean? I can't find my Google translator.

طلب منك Farasha مبلغ من المال هل تقرضه ؟
    أجاب:
    الإجابة:

I left out the person's username.

Do I even want to know what it means? Oo;;;

It looks like spam to me. Farasha: Just copy and past into Google Translate or write "translate ... to english" (where ... is the arabic text) in google.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YasminMay View Post
    Hi, I've been wrestling with an arabic translation and thought I'd ask here!!

I'm having trouble over one little line;

تراقصني

It supposedly means "dance with me" - do you know if this is right?

Also, I'm wondering how you pronounce it, as I'm useless at converting arabic letters into english ones and working out the phonemes!

Could you give me some clues?

Thank you!!
    It looks like ti raaqS nii - It could be translated "(you feminine) dance with me" but literally is "(you feminine) dance to/for me". Pronounced "ti RAAQS nee" where the capital letters mean emphasis.
    Last edited by LeylaLanty; 05-14-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: correct typo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast