Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a little question in Arabic. What is the best dialect to learn? Is Egyptian, Lebanese or Gulf better one to learn? I was trying to learn Egyptian for a while but some of my Arab freinds are telling me its not a nice dialect? Sorry I'm not sure if this question was asked before.

Post Thanks / Like

Egyptian for the same reason most ESL learners choose american english - that's where the cinema is based so it's pretty much universally understood.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to start a new thread, but then thought I might as well tag onto this old one.

I visited Egypt twice a few years ago, and came back having met enough nice people to want to learn the language for next time. I got together with a friend and bought a book and cd on Egyptian Arabic and we tried it between ourselves for a couple of months, but really didnt get very far. Then circumstances changed, practise waned and we stopped. But Ive recently gained the opportunity to learn Lebanese Arabic from a native speaker, along with a different friend (who already has some Egyptian Arabic speech and writing skills), and its aroused my curiosity to try it again, but this time with real people.

So is there still anyone else here trying to learn Arabic? Howd you get on? How recognised is Lebanese Arabic between countries? Has anyone come across a good on-line source/support?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duvet View Post
    So is there still anyone else here trying to learn Arabic? How’d you get on? How recognised is Lebanese Arabic between countries? Has anyone come across a good on-line source/support?
    There are several online resources. I used LookLex / Learn Arabic as an introduction some years ago (my aim was to transliterate my arabic CDs) and then signed up for a live class. According to my teacher, Lebanese and Egyptian dialects are the most commonly understood Arabic dialects.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

How would you translate "Leylet al Naseeb"? It is the title of a piece by the Al-Ahram Orchestra. My Arabic friend says that Leylet means night but it is not usually used with the word Naseeb, which means What God has planned or written for a person - like destiny, maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duvet View Post
    So is there still anyone else here trying to learn Arabic? Howd you get on? How recognised is Lebanese Arabic between countries? Has anyone come across a good on-line source/support?
    I think Arabic language skills are very valuable for belly dancers, even if you don't learn a lot. A journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step, and even if you only learn a small amount at this time, it'll be more than you knew before!

This page of my web site shows some of what I discovered when I decided to start learning Arabic, along with a blog of my early studies: The Near East Today

For me, the combination that proved helpful was to use the Pimsleur's lessons to give structure to what I was learning (and to serve as a review tool between the times I spent with live people), and then to use conversation with real speakers to make it "stick".

I used the Egyptian dialect lessons from Pimsleur's, but since you have a Lebanese speaker to work with, I'd suggest you go for the Eastern Arabic version of their program.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234