A dancer's musician

Salome

Administrator
This thread topic bubbled up in one of the meet and greet threads... Dancer's what have your experiences been like with musicians? Do you find that overall you have had a team player experience or musicians that are more concerned with showing their chops than creating a show together?

Lydia

a dancer.s musician

Hi Salome...good one !! i have been lucky all the musicians i work or worked with in the past are good sports and for sure teamwork (other wise i fire them)LOL..... It is inportand to me that we all work hard and put the same effort..it is not easy i have to be honest sometimes they are lazy to come to rehearsels enz...and i have to always remind them that we have rules...on and of stage ...Sometimes if they think i am not looking like when i am in the dressingroom somebody ,,slips,, LOL ...but usely its ok....I used to work with Elias Lammam for about 7 years almost daily and he was the bandleader aswell,that was great...less things to worry about.for me .But he left and lives and works now in the states,and is verry succesfull ...I still miss him because he was so talented and a great person to work with...sindts he left i do everything my self like the rehearsels arrangments ,i always do all the contracts ...but i also did that with Elias so i am used to that ....but things now are little bit more work for me...And my luck is that in this country are so many musicians from differant country,s that i can pick what i like and mix and match......like drummers off course from Egypt and a nay and mizmar aswell ,and anoun from syria and a violin or oudplayer some realy good oudplayers from syria and than a singer from libanon and my anoun player also sings ...so he is doing all classic stuff like oum khaltoum and abd. halim.
1 of the drummers sings all the egyptian shaaby stuff.....so that is how i usely work....BUT I STILL MIS ELIAS!! never know perhaps he is reading my mail LOL....So this is my 2 dirham on this threat ..love it makes me all happy inside to think about the show lalalllaaalllaa happy dancing Lydia

Shanazel

I am married to my main live musician, so I have some influence over him... He plays a number of instruments and has recently fallen in love with the drum I bought him last time I went to Colorado. Methods in my madness, to buy a french horn classicist a doumbec? You betcha. I'm gonna buy him MaryEllen lessons next.

Mouse

hehe good work Shanazel! I'm also married to a muso, but unfortunately I don't think I'd be able to get him to go from rock to ME :(

Aisha Azar

MUsicians

Dear Lydia,
I am friends with Georges, and also have met Tony (Elias's brothers). Jeanette Cool, who is married to Georges, is a long time friend. Elias is superb accordianist and we are lucky to have him here in the States. I had lunch with Georges when he was here in town about a year ago, and we had a great time. I have not met Elias but do have some of his music.
I THINk he is also getting into playing Jelseh with a singer and musician named, ummmm... Musa is his last name, but his first name excapes me. I have seen Mr. Musa live with Georges and some other musicians and he is wonderful in the style.
Regards,
A'isha

Lydia

a dancer.s musician

Hi Aisha,how nice that you are all friends...I do know George and Tony aswell ,but i did not realy work with them only in the beginning when i just came to the UAE IN 1986...The father from the brothers ,,Abu Tony,, he was the person that booked me for party,s that time i was still a ,,baby dancer,, i just came from Egypt and did not know that much yet,so i was very lucky that i was working with them.But Tony and George left soon after that for the states and only Elias stay,d in the UAE ...So we started working together...fro that time...that famili was cool and so addicted to music like i am on dancing they eat breath and sleep with there music...because Tony is a tabal and George a violenist as you know. So when i visit them in there parents that time all what you hear is talking music that was all what was disccused....But Elias than later also went to stay with the rest of his family and i believe he married also a dancer ,but i am not sure ,it must be 7 years i did not hear from him,but he keeps in touch with some musicians in Dubai so i hear sometime,s what he is up to...but he is very talented and will go far i hope because he works so hard and i wish him all the best and lucky you are that you get to work with them ! and thank you for mailing this post it is nice to hear how they are....huggy for this ,and have a great week Lydia

Noiseman433

hehe good work Shanazel! I'm also married to a muso, but unfortunately I don't think I'd be able to get him to go from rock to ME :(

That's too bad. You should try anyway--you never know what might happen. Robert (our mandolinist) was primarily a rock musician till he got tired of lugging around tons of equipment, several guitars, keyboard, amps. pa. He decided to switch to mandolin when he had to fly to a gig--he just carried it on with him (though that might be different nowadays). But he was also a classically trained singer, so when he switched to mando, he started learning alot of early classical repertoire like Italian bel canto, as well as Irish/celtic tunes.

Shanazel

Hey, it's going great. Every night he goes out into the dark of our backyard to practice, and he is sounding good.

16th century rock band? Now that is intriguing. I used to sing in collegium musicum, and my husband loves any kind of music (you oughta see the rock collection). So tell me about 16th century rock.

Last edited: