Al Rachid Mexican Oriental Dancer

Pirika Repun

To be totally honest and straight then no, I dont like it.
Having said that, I am not offended by it, and it really depends on the overall piece.
To me it is recreating shapes and images of the ME. However, when you really think about it, what is it saying?

The image here is like full veil, but what is the image under the veil?
What is it saying to the audience, what is it trying to project?

It smacks of the mystery of the "Orient' thing to me. Nothing wrong with being sexy etc. but I think we need to be more consious about how we use imagery.

Alot of the bad things we see are often people who are doing something they have seen but never really thought about.

They also compare it to something which does exsist in the ME so therefore it is OK.
No, there is far more to it than that and it is every dancers job who studies a cultural art form to understand and be aware of the differences. If you dont, then what you do is about you and nothing more. The rest is lip service.

I dont like Oriental fantasy and I am very open about that, I dont think it is harmless at all.

Yes, we will always find alot worse everywhere we look but challenge and understand the small things and the bigger things may never happen.

I understand your point, and I totally agree with you and against the Oriental fantasy image.

When I saw what she was doing this, I wasn’t exciting to see it. I mean, yeah, technically what she did was amazed me like “how she does it? “ but the image or her eye gesture itself, I wasn’t . When I took this photo, I saw her threw the finder, not naked eyes, and I used zoon to catch her facial expression, in this case more like her “eye expression” and I felt not sexy or feminine, but more like …. I can’t find the correct word. Not offended, but didn’t feel right. I don’t know why.

Some teachers teach these “eye gesture” in the class, and I do it in the class, but personally I don’t like it at all! because it looks like “seduce men” kind of attitude for me, and also image of Oriental fantasy. I know many women dance Oriental dance for express their sexiness or femininity to express them, but I’m not the type of dancer, and I never will, because I respect culture more than just an image or sexy woman whatever the thing.

alrachid

HI

Greetings to those who have made comments HERE.

Had not had time to read the messages. I was too busy working.

Thanks for all the comments, for everyone.

I just want to say that today, my costume is my style.

There will be people who like them, others not, and I respect that.

I will not explain because they dance with their faces covered the first part of the music, because I'm so good.

What dance has a meaning and a story, and I discover my face at the end of the Taxim not before because that's my choreography.

Anyway, I would prefer to talk in person and not here.

For Ethics and respect, not talk of any video or anyone, not his dancing, or the wardrobe of anyone. If so, to big stars of the dance have details but like stars, they are allowed, and is said to be evolution, fusion, new ideas, and so on. as is, while every effort will be made with respect and did not lie about what we do, we can work better.

So far, I've never had comments on my costume. And with all due respect, before thinking of one thing to say, or express an opinion, is expected to be the primary source of information. And I say this not for me, but in all cases that have doubts about something.

And "it" as you want to call that I bring with me on the head and cover your face, I helped shape friends, teachers and Muslims, Lebanese and Egyptians, with their tips at the end to reach this "figure". They helped me understand the music and did the choreography.

In the Taxim, caused by love, at first pace and begin to reveal my face, also revealed my desire to love even harder, and this is not cheerful, nor is it to laugh, you feel.

This piece is called love is not forbidden, everyone makes their own version, his own interpretation. I for example, bother me that someone smiled or was happy to dancing. But I can not do anything, that would be my internal conflict with what I would like to make all, until I realize that's what I want.

I hope it ends here, it makes me uncomfortable to have to talk about these things when we can in future have the opportunity to talk person to person, or better yet, worrying about the dance and its value as such and not with all the prejudices that surround it.

In short, talking about interpretation, because of the details of the costumes, the choreography and of many things concerning the meaning and symbolism, require adequate space for discussion. I just think that this is not adequate. There's so much that we share and learn.

Greetings to all.

alrachid

A video of a modern style with "dabke"? I do not know, and it is not mine

At present, we like it or not, there is everything.

Pirika Repun

At present, we like it or not, there is everything.

What'a F$#K is this??? :shok::shok::shok::rolleyes::mad: This is NOT even dance! Just a MOVES. These moves are not matched to music at all!!!

I love this Saad's "Il Aynab" but they make me mad, because this look terrible!!:mad::mad:
Tarik choreographed this song and no comparison to this!!! This is even not chireograph or organized or nothing! I just don't understand why women screaming for this terrible moves????

Hey Al, what do you want to try to say for this video?????

I'm dead tired now. After double headder of basket ball game and got home 2:00AM, the watch this... Gush... I have day time job and another double headder game tomorrow man. :mad:

Last edited:

Caroline_afifi

Greetings to those who have made comments HERE.

Had not had time to read the messages. I was too busy working.

Thanks for all the comments, for everyone.

I just want to say that today, my costume is my style.

There will be people who like them, others not, and I respect that.

I will not explain because they dance with their faces covered the first part of the music, because I'm so good.

What dance has a meaning and a story, and I discover my face at the end of the Taxim not before because that's my choreography.

Hi there,

Welcome to Orientaldancer.net the place where we do discuss all of these things (and more) in great detail...

For Ethics and respect, not talk of any video or anyone, not his dancing, or the wardrobe of anyone. If so, to big stars of the dance have details but like stars, they are allowed,

Oooh red rag to a bull there! define a 'star'?
who makes a star? all the nobody's who perhaps like or dont like? the same people who know nothing about anything?

So far, I've never had comments on my costume. And with all due respect, before thinking of one thing to say, or express an opinion, is expected to be the primary source of information. And I say this not for me, but in all cases that have doubts about something.

Sorry, I dont fully understand this.
As for never having comments on a costume, niether have I, but am pretty sure people must have had plenty to say... but just not to my face.
Same goes for everyone I am sure.
Any how, I was not commenting about your costume. I did not 'get' the use of the face covering.

And "it" as you want to call that I bring with me on the head and cover your face, I helped shape friends, teachers and Muslims, Lebanese and Egyptians, with their tips at the end to reach this "figure". They helped me understand the music and did the choreography.

?

In the Taxim, caused by love, at first pace and begin to reveal my face, also revealed my desire to love even harder, and this is not cheerful, nor is it to laugh, you feel.

This piece is called love is not forbidden, everyone makes their own version, his own interpretation. I for example, bother me that someone smiled or was happy to dancing. But I can not do anything, that would be my internal conflict with what I would like to make all, until I realize that's what I want.

I hope it ends here, it makes me uncomfortable to have to talk about these things when we can in future have the opportunity to talk person to person, or better yet, worrying about the dance and its value as such and not with all the prejudices that surround it.

I could not comment personally on what you felt and it did not come across like this in the clip, but Youtube is not the best place to see someone dance. Like I said, it was nothing to do with your dance or costume, i just kept looking at the face and wondering why it was covered. You know exactly why as you are the one feeling it,and others may guess but we have to add other elements if we want to communicate something different.

If you feel uncomfortable about any comment like this perhaps you should not allow people to film you? thingshave a way of turning up on discussion boards and people often do comment. Once it reaches this stage you lose control over it.

It is good to be crictical of yourself, I am very critical of myself too but I also know the difference between a snipe comment and a genuine thought. Be hard on yourself (and set yourself a standard) but dont take everything everyone else says to heart, but dont ignore it all either.
People often only hear what they want to hear.

I see you posted a dance clip of the dance group, what was the pupose?

In short, talking about interpretation, because of the details of the costumes, the choreography and of many things concerning the meaning and symbolism, require adequate space for discussion. I just think that this is not adequate. There's so much that we share and learn.

Greetings to all.

Of course there is , and many things do go wrong in discussions here, but there is also alot from which we learn.

I get to exchange thoughts and ideas with people I would never otherwise meet... like you. There are also some very good people here with alot of experience, it is not possible to meet them all in person.

Thanks again for dropping by and I hope you were able to take something of value from your experience here and perhaps join us again in the future.
Caroline

Last edited:

alrachid

HI, thanks

I understand that it is difficult then to be understood.

Again thanks to those who have made comments.

All that was said is something, and everything serves us all.

I'm not upset, so is this. And we have to learn to get feedback from all over and continue our path.

I hope to have more time to participate in the forum. I found something good, people committed to dance, its culture, its evolution and continuous change.

Ready to make comments with courage.

Thanks to PIRIKA REPUN, SANSANHER, TARIK SULTAN AND CAROLINE AFIFI.

I hope in future to know them.
Everything okay? I hope so, greetings.

alrachid

CRY, CRY, peace

I think the same thing as you, this video is rare. But as you say, all the girls screaming jajaja. What to do? I find other good videos
With this video, cry. Greetings.