"Ancient" dance form theme - your thoughts

Kharmine

There is a belly dancer I know in the UK who is also part of the Robin Hood appreciation society (cant remember the real name).

She will love this!

Tell her to be careful -- we had no idea what we were starting!

I will be SO embarassed if dancers in the UK start actually saying this! (Those idiot Yanks -- don't they screw up enough things already???)

Ariadne

Can I ask approximatly where in the Rockies you are?... because I have actually heard that one already.

Kharmine

Ariadne, I should have clarified where the Great Tudor Bellydance myth started -- central California, about 20 years ago!

Of course, it's quite possible that some other brains came up with the same tale at other Renaissance fairs around the country. We thought we were the first, but ya never know.

Last edited:

Ariadne

central California, about 20 years ago!

:lol: That explains it then. I think I heard it about 18 years ago which was what made me wonder. Come to think of it the girl that told me about it seemed so sincere too. :lol:

feedyoureye

Ariadne, I should have clarified where the Great Tudor Bellydance myth started -- central California, about 20 years ago!

Of course, it's quite possible that some other brains came up with the same tale at other Renaissance fairs around the country. We thought we were the first, but ya never know.

hehe....I'm from Central California....I remember seeing some fun and talented "Tribally" bellydancers at the Rennasance fair at the Black Point Cutoff location.... Sounds like something they might have made up!...or perhaps the "continuity" manager had to make something up....

Kharmine

hehe....I'm from Central California....I remember seeing some fun and talented "Tribally" bellydancers at the Rennasance fair at the Black Point Cutoff location.... Sounds like something they might have made up!...or perhaps the "continuity" manager had to make something up....

Yep, Tribal borrows from many sources so that might have been one of those things picked up from who knows where... :whistle:

I guess we can see how so much misinformation can get out there. It starts with myths, rumors, fantasy stories and jokes -- then, I guess, it's more memorable or interesting or personal or fun than boring ol' real history!

Teachers and people with informational web sites have a lot to answer for when they don't educate themselves and pass on the correct facts. Maybe too many of them didn't have teachers who cared to do so, but that doesn't mean they're off the hook.

Even when they're not focused on Egyptian style, they should know and be able to speak about how raqs sharqi developed in Cairo, took off in different styles in Greece and Turkey and the West, and branched off into the biggest influence behind Tribal.

Would it do any good to call the myth-promoters out? I doubt it. They'd probably just blame any objections on "patriarchy!" :lol:

Last edited: