Arabic makeup for blonds!

Imeera

Hello everyone!
I have blond hair, blue eyes and fair skin. I have been told that heavy black eyeliner/mascara will make me look slutty or cheap ect Normally I wear brown to keep it natural, but I have a fate coming up. The Royal Norfolk Show, I am helping out with an animal trust and we have birds of prey. For the birds it is going to be a Bedouin themed set, I will be wearing Bedouin clothing and jewlery, but would it look odd if I wore heavy black eyeliner and mascara? The dress is black aswell, but would it be too much of a contrast? Also could you recommend any video tutorials or tell me what other eye makeup that would complement it? It has to be quite simple as its supposed to be "authentic" but anything to offset the black with my hair, eyes and skin or just help with the theme? The show isn't until the end of June so I have a while to think about it.
But what do you guys think? Full eye makeup? Nothing? A little?
Thank you everyone!!

Taslin

I dont think black eyeliner done in the dramatic way looks cheap or slutty on blondes. I do think if you wore the same make up i wear it would look too harsh though, so tone it down to suit you.

Say you do the black eyeliner, just dont do a red lip, maybe a mauve or whatever suits you. You really dont need too much shadow. You could probably get away with whatever shadow color you need if you keep it light. keep your blush an appropriate shade for your skin tone and dont pencil your eyebrows too dark-that could make it look odd.

Ive seen many a stunning blonde blued eyed girl rock black eyeliner casually. Your post reminded me, once i did my friends makeup exactly how i do mine (she asked). when i was done and we both looked at her face we were both like "ooops". I literally forgot she was white. Literally. I just did her makeup like i would for me-a tanned/olive complected person,lol. after she washed her face i just lighted up her shadows and changed the lip and she was good to go.

Josephine

I think black eyeliner looks just as good on blondes. I love black rimmed eyes on most women, no matter what the hair color/skin color. It defines and makes the eyes pop.

It's more about how it's applied than anything. For blondes, it doesn't look as harsh when you go with a smokey look that fades into brown- black liner, a little black shadow that fades into brown shadow.

I'll try to find some inspire pics.

Last edited:

Dunyah

I think you should go with the dramatic eye makeup and perhaps a turban or scarf over your hair, which could look very authentic.

Farasha Hanem

Hello everyone!
I have blond hair, blue eyes and fair skin. I have been told that heavy black eyeliner/mascara will make me look slutty or cheap ect Normally I wear brown to keep it natural, but I have a fate coming up. The Royal Norfolk Show, I am helping out with an animal trust and we have birds of prey. For the birds it is going to be a Bedouin themed set, I will be wearing Bedouin clothing and jewlery, but would it look odd if I wore heavy black eyeliner and mascara? The dress is black aswell, but would it be too much of a contrast? Also could you recommend any video tutorials or tell me what other eye makeup that would complement it? It has to be quite simple as its supposed to be "authentic" but anything to offset the black with my hair, eyes and skin or just help with the theme? The show isn't until the end of June so I have a while to think about it.
But what do you guys think? Full eye makeup? Nothing? A little?
Thank you everyone!!

If you don't feel comfortable in true black liner, try a brown black liner, instead. You'll still get that dramatic look for dancing, and have a color to match your complexion. :D Same thing for false lashes, if you wear them.

LeylaLanty

I'm very fair, blonde, green-blue eyes. For stage I do deep brown or raisin eyeliner, medium brown eyebrow powder, shades of brown and pearl shadow. In the pic on my web pages, I'm using deep green liner, medium brown eyebrows, shadow in shades of medium green. Leyla Lanty - Hear the Music BE the Music!
Fair-skinned, fair-haired people need just as much makeup as those with darker skin and hair but need to adjust the colors.

Imeera

Thank you for your help! I have some kohl, actual kohl not a pencil or anything, from Saudi so am going to use that to line my eyes. With a mix of gentle browns for eyeshadow or none at all! Going light on the lips with probably just lipbalm and keep the face as neutral as possible with a bit of bronzer. Shall send pictures of the day for everyone! Thank you so much everyone again!!

LilithNoor

I have been told that heavy black eyeliner/mascara will make me look slutty or cheap ect

Wow, that's a really rude and judgemental thing to say to someone.

I think black eyeliner is something that anyone can wear if they do it right (in fact, that goes for most colours!), so please don't let yourself be scared off by other people's 'rules'.

The kohl sounds wonderful and right in character. I'm really looking forward to seeing pictures- birds of prey are a particular favourite for me.

seona

I like Dunyahs idea, dramatic eyes and a scarf. Imeera you should check out some images of Bedouin for ideas and inspiration. See you even have real kohl, very authentic. Good luck and I hope to see pics of your finished look!

And for any factoid fans out there, I find it interesting that the word alcohol derives from Arabic and has connections with kohl.

Last edited:

Imeera

I like Dunyahs idea, dramatic eyes and a scarf. Imeera you should check out some images of Bedouin for ideas and inspiration. See you even have real kohl, very authentic. Good luck and I hope to see pics of your finished look!

And for any factoid fans out there, I find it interesting that the word alcohol derives from Arabic and has connections with kohl.

I did get actual Kohl from Saudi, with a stick applicator. It is Rani Kohl off ebay. Its beautiful, and safe! As some kohl traditionally has lead in =] I looked around but much was "Bedouin inspiration" rather than actual Bedouin. But its fine! I do have lots of ideas and will experiment next week. I have loads of time to prepare! =D

Imeera

Hello everyone! For thoes who are interested this is what I ended up looking like =] I am the one in black obviously! You can't really see my makeup but it was honestly that with khol around the eyes, no eyeshadow and only a nude lip colour. The khol kept running! I had panda eyes by the end of both days! Thank you for all your help on this one!!

Starmouth

You look beautiful! Love the birds!

For the record, I am dark haired and olive skinned, and I think black eyeliner looks terrible on me. I actually think it works better on people with pinker tones to their skin, or on black skin. As my skin is yellow toned, it just makes me look ill. That said, I use it if I'm on stage, but close up I look a bit iffy. :lol:

Imeera

You look beautiful! Love the birds!

For the record, I am dark haired and olive skinned, and I think black eyeliner looks terrible on me. I actually think it works better on people with pinker tones to their skin, or on black skin. As my skin is yellow toned, it just makes me look ill. That said, I use it if I'm on stage, but close up I look a bit iffy. :lol:

Thank you so much! I am sure you look good with black! Just not as great as other colours! :D =p I would love to have darker skin, olive or otherwise. But you always want the oposite than what you have! I would love black wavy hair and olive skin! xD

shiradotnet

Hello everyone! For thoes who are interested this is what I ended up looking like =] I am the one in black obviously! You can't really see my makeup but it was honestly that with kohl around the eyes, no eyeshadow and only a nude lip colour. The khol kept running! I had panda eyes by the end of both days! Thank you for all your help on this one!!

I'm coveting your yummy Bedouin dress!

Safran

Firstly - this bird is impressive!

But about runny khol - did you use anything underneath it? Foundation is an absolute must for me, it really helps to fix the eye make-up. You can also give primers a try.

seona

Nice Imeera! Glad it came together for you, beautiful dress, you look great! and amazing birds!

Imeera

Safran:Oh yes! I wore foundation. I even used primer on my eyes on the second day. That just made it worse! I couldn't wash it off even a little so the panda eyes were worse than the day before :lol:

EVERYONE:
Thank you all for your lovely comments! The dress was beduoin, as was everything else, even the tent! I am holding Savannah, a Harris hawk. Elliot is holding Nemisis, a Peregrine falcon and there is Mirage, a Saker falcon on the floor.