Archiving threads?

Sirène

So some enterprising new poster decided to resurrect "What instructional DVDs/Videos you have?" which was active 2007-2009, with a handful of additional posts in 2010.

It got me wondering, are posts here ever archived (i.e. locked)? :think:

The reasons for the new poster resurrecting the thread aside :rolleyes:, I thought I might read through it. Then I realized there were 200+ posts/24 pages — :shok: um... no thanks, especially since I'm not even sure the information is still applicable 2+ years later.

I'd like to start a new "What instructional DVDs/Videos you have? Part II" (or "WID/VDYH 2011") thread, but there's no point if a mod will just merge them together — at which point it should be renamed "How Unwwieldy Will This DVD Thread Grow?" :lol:.

Is there a point at which inactive threads expire/are archived? Should there be?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Good question:D I think maybe at the 2year mark at least. Yes you can start a new thread part 2 or 2011-2012 or something like that, especially if the previous one is so old. The Thought provoking costume thread is onto its 3rd part if I remember correctly. Thanks for raising the question.
~Mosaic

Amulya

We do have the old Thought Provoking Costume ones archived because they became huge. So there are 3 separate threads of those. In the lasted there is a link refering to the previous for people who like to look at them. These threads stay relevant, but became just too big.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
We do have the old Thought Provoking Costume ones archived because they became huge. So there are 3 separate threads of those. In the lasted there is a link refering to the previous for people who like to look at them. These threads stay relevant, but became just too big.
I know about those threads, but have never looked for them to see if they are formally archived and actually sealed, if they aren't then folk could add to them.
~M
PS: just checked - it is closed, so must have been done when the new thread started? But how do we find threads 2 or more years old and set about archiving them?

Last edited:

Amulya

We closed the old ones when we started the new ones.

It would become too much work to do that with all threads! I think closing a thread is more for when you really don't want people to add to it, either because it is too big or a topic gone out of hand or out of date.

Sirène

Good question:D I think maybe at the 2year mark at least. Yes you can start a new thread part 2 or 2011-2012 or something like that, especially if the previous one is so old. The Thought provoking costume thread is onto its 3rd part if I remember correctly. Thanks for raising the question.
~Mosaic

I finally made the new thread, sorry it took so long to do it:
http://www.bellydanceforums.net/ins...tional-dvds-videos-you-have-2012-version.html

The old one is here if you want to put it to bed:
http://www.bellydanceforums.net/ins...-what-instructional-dvds-videos-you-have.html

:cool: