Argan Oil for hair ?

khanjar

I have long hair which when it's wet or has been washed that day is lovely, it doesn't tangle that much and hangs down but a day later it tangles readily and sticks outwards and have been told this is dry hair syndrome and so it has been suggested to try something called Argan oil from Morocco, does anyone have any experience with this stuff or hair that I describe and can offer any solutions?

Hair type is oval cross section that curls readily for the hell of it and at every opportunity driving me nuts because of the tangles and if it's damp in the air, it is a disaster, but I am not cutting it short to be like everyone else, but I need a solution.

Farasha Hanem

I've never used Argon oil (sorry if I misspelled it), but you might find someplace online that sells it, I'm not sure. I have The Hair From Hades, to put it mildly. >.> It is extremely kinky-curly, so much so that the natural texture is frizzy. Not just frizzy in humid weather, I mean frizzy is my hair's way of life. -_- I keep the ends trimmed about every 4 to 6 weeks, let it air dry after shampooing instead of using the dryer (except in extremely cold weather), touch up only the roots when I color it instead of pulling the color all the way down the last 5 minutes of processing (yes, I cut and color my hair myself), and use anti-frizz serum and a lightweight spray-on conditioner/detangler to try to control my wild mane.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I have long hair which when it's wet or has been washed that day is lovely, it doesn't tangle that much and hangs down but a day later it tangles readily...
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem - if its fine for a day after washing it - wash it every day?

I dunno - I have kind of the opposite problem, my scalp rivals a Saudi oilfield in production. If I don't wash mine every day, it ends up looking like mangy old dog hair. Mine is about bra strap length (if I wore a bra, that is! :lol: ).

Sirène

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem - if its fine for a day after washing it - wash it every day?

I dunno - I have kind of the opposite problem, my scalp rivals a Saudi oilfield in production. If I don't wash mine every day, it ends up looking like mangy old dog hair. Mine is about bra strap length (if I wore a bra, that is! :lol: ).

The daily washing might be what's making your scalp produce so much oil. We're supposed to have a small amount of sebum to keep the hair and scalp healthy, but hair products are designed to remove it because by Western beauty standards any sign of oil ("greasiness") is considered undesirable.

I tried to go 'no poo' but at the moment 3-4 days is the maximum I can go without a wash. My hair LOVES the less frequent washing (it doesn't break and fall out to the extent that it did before even though it's longer), but my scalp is having adjustment issues. Argan Oil has been a tremedous help with the dryness, and it's tamed my fine hair frizz. Unfortunately, the pure stuff is insanely expensive. If you see large bottles of it for less than $15 then it's likely mixed with Castor oil, Sunflower oil or other seed oils (i.e. it's diluted and less effective).

If Argan oil is too pricey, coconut oil is also great for hair (and skin).

Darshiva

Spray on olive oil on the ends (only!) of your hair for 30 minutes before you wash it.

Depending on the condition of your hair you might need to do this every week or every few months.

If you can handle sulphurous fumes, mix an egg in a pint of beer and use that to wash out the olive oil. Then wash as normal (no conditioner). If you can't handle the fumes, do the egg first, then wash as normal and rinse the shampoo out with the beer (again, no conditioner).

khanjar

The daily washing might be what's making your scalp produce so much oil. We're supposed to have a small amount of sebum to keep the hair and scalp healthy, but hair products are designed to remove it because by Western beauty standards any sign of oil ("greasiness") is considered undesirable.

I tried to go 'no poo' but at the moment 3-4 days is the maximum I can go without a wash. My hair LOVES the less frequent washing (it doesn't break and fall out to the extent that it did before even though it's longer), but my scalp is having adjustment issues. Argan Oil has been a tremedous help with the dryness, and it's tamed my fine hair frizz. Unfortunately, the pure stuff is insanely expensive. If you see large bottles of it for less than $15 then it's likely mixed with Castor oil, Sunflower oil or other seed oils (i.e. it's diluted and less effective).

If Argan oil is too pricey, coconut oil is also great for hair (and skin).

Coconut oil I have been using but it leaves the hair quite greasy, no problem in summer when I wish to protect the hair from the sun and besides coconut I smear it on bread, the cat eats it and sometimes I cook with it so it is multi use but in winter what it does to hair is well as said, it makes it kind of greasy.

But I wash hair once every four days sometimes longer depending on what I have been doing as I know washing hair every day is not good for hair of scalp and I use chemical free hair products and when I dye, I use pure henna and indigo. When I wash I let the hair air dry.

But people are saying Argan oil is the thing to use.

May get a bottle to try it out when I am not grounded anymore as my car is off the road at the moment and am not walking a sixteen mile around trip just for hair oil.

indrayu

I have the same thing with my hair: good for a day after washing then the ends becoming drier until wash day. Have been using argan oil for over a year. It has helped, but isn't a magic cure. Quite a few products claim to be "argan oil" but check the label carefully. I've found the pure oil is very expensive but better value in the long run. You only need a couple of drops, and put it on when your hair is still wet, straight after a light towel dry. Too much will give a greasy look, as will using it on dry hair.

I'll give the egg and beer a try one of these days. Might be a good use for party leftovers :)

DancingArabian

I use pink baby lotion for my hair. I don't like the oil-based products because it just makes my hair feel greasy and ends up leaving residue everywhere. I take little dollops of the baby lotion, mash it between my hands and spread it throughout my hair from root to tip. Usually takes about 3-4 dollops. This took experimenting - too much made my hair heavy and flat, too little didn't cover enough and my hair stayed frizzy.

FWIW, my hair is currently waist length, very thick and VERRRRRY curly.

Darshiva

Mine's butt length and recently had a heavy thinning & layering from the hairdresser (because my hair is so thick & heavy my neck can't support the weight) and it works well with the olive oil. But.... you do need to wash it out after, and not put too much on to begin with. Using the spray oil works because it's a thin film that I can gently rub through. But I only go up as high as the shortest of my layers and no further and definitely not on the scalp. If you do the olive oil thing, definitely do the beer rinse afterward because it helps cut through the greasiness. I don't always do the egg thing and I don't always do the oil thing, but if I do either, I always do the beer thing with it.

I also wash my hair once ever 5-7 days with a sulphur-free baby shampoo and never condition it with commercial conditioners. If I do need to condition* my hair, out comes the beer. If it's dry, out comes the oil. And if it's damaged, out comes the egg.

*AKA do I have a performance coming up? Yes = beer time!

BehindTheSun

I have long hair which when it's wet or has been washed that day is lovely, it doesn't tangle that much and hangs down but a day later it tangles readily and sticks outwards and have been told this is dry hair syndrome and so it has been suggested to try something called Argan oil from Morocco, does anyone have any experience with this stuff or hair that I describe and can offer any solutions?

Hair type is oval cross section that curls readily for the hell of it and at every opportunity driving me nuts because of the tangles and if it's damp in the air, it is a disaster, but I am not cutting it short to be like everyone else, but I need a solution.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil defiantly does wonders for the hair. What I personally do is heat the oil until it's warm and cover all of my hair with it. Then put on a shower cap and leave it for a few hours. It leaves your hair soft, moisturized and reduces frizz. But be 100% positive to wash ALL of the olive oil out, otherwise you'll have greasy streaks and you will probably reek of salad dressing. :rolleyes:

khanjar

Okay I tried the argan oil route as it's instant and less messy and so got a blend not the pure stuff as the pure stuff is too costly for me at the moment, but the blend is Tresemme's Liquid Gold after much nagging from my female friends given they use it and it is affordable, so why not.

I am actually impressed, it's nailed the frizz and the fly away straight away, the result is the hair hangs roughly vertical instead of blowing out to the sides, roughly because I don't think anything will totally tame my hair except for perhaps crude oil, but it's not tangly and it appears darker and shiny even, but not oily or greasy which is why my friends recommended it as the blend appears to soak into the hair which is what I wanted.

And yes I know there is chemicals in it which is a problem to me, but this is a trial and whence I have finished the bottle I will be looking for the pure stuff at a reasonable price as argan oil, yep, it does the job.

Now I just have to work out why one side looks better than the other side and think so far, perhaps seeing that I am right handed the left side will look better because it receives the better combing attention due to being right handed.

But I love long hair.

Last edited:

Tiziri

I have very dry curly hair that tangles and frizzes easily. It really doesn't like to be washed more than once or twice a week, but it loves conditioner. Winter weather is not its thing, either. At all.

Are you regularly using a deep conditioner? It might help.

I've used argan oil products (not the pure oil; I can't justify the expense right now) with good results. I also have started using Dabur Vatika Coconut Oil as an oil treatment or a leave-in, and I really, really like it. It's quite inexpensive, too. People either love the scent or think it's weird.

khanjar

I have very dry curly hair that tangles and frizzes easily. It really doesn't like to be washed more than once or twice a week, but it loves conditioner. Winter weather is not its thing, either. At all.

Are you regularly using a deep conditioner? It might help.

I've used argan oil products (not the pure oil; I can't justify the expense right now) with good results. I also have started using Dabur Vatika Coconut Oil as an oil treatment or a leave-in, and I really, really like it. It's quite inexpensive, too. People either love the scent or think it's weird.

In the summer, I oil my hair heavily with coconut to protect it from the sun and it also helps to protect it from airborne pollutants and dust, but it is winter that I have the problems with and so the argan stuff is helping for now as is some information I have got from the ladies, this forum included.

Last night though I was given a small bottle of pure argan oil to try, someone I know has a large quantity of the stuff they picked up in Morocco. They saying with this stuff, a little goes a long way hence why they are dishing it out to others to try.

But I hear the Moroccan government is stepping up it's production of the oil such is world demand.

It does good things for skin as well.

Coconut oil though, I use pure oil that in the winter is set hard so harder to use and so why treating with coconut has dropped off, but I use the coconut for cooking and general eating as well and my cat before it croaked used to eat a teaspoon of the stuff a day, it certainly sorted out her tangly hair and less hairball issues.

Last edited:

Greek Bonfire

I LOVE Argan oil! I've been using it for a couple of years now. I never, ever put it on my scalp, plus I mainly use it when I let my hair air dry as it keeps the frizzies away. If I blow dry it, I don't put it on my hair either. Never put it near your scalp but put it on areas that are farther away and mostly on the outside hair. When you are washing it, you really should use a good hair conditioner and put that on the back of your head where hair tangles the most near the neck.

I have very long hair and to wash it everyday would dry it out. It's only when I had short hair that I could wash it everyday, and that's what I did because in those days I had enough oil in my system to solve the energy crisis. ;)