Audience Reacts to Bellydance

Rheia

I have one little question. I have been dancing and performing for some time now and I've noticed that other dancers in the audience often call a word that sounds like "E'owa". Could someone tell me what this means? I never thought much of it until tonight, I was just thinking on what the actual meaning of this word or phrase is.

janaki

Hi Rheia,

It means 'yes'. You must be a good dancer!!! Your audience are approving your dance.

Kharmine

I have one little question. I have been dancing and performing for some time now and I've noticed that other dancers in the audience often call a word that sounds like "E'owa". Could someone tell me what this means? I never thought much of it until tonight, I was just thinking on what the actual meaning of this word or phrase is.

Never heard of it. Is it a kind of yell? You know, instead of that Middle Eastern trilling sound, the zaghareet, that some people (such as moi) can't do?

janaki

Yes, it is 'AIWA'.

Hi Kharmine,

It is an expression of approval ( I was told by my egyptian friend/drum instructor). When I dance whilst he is drumming, he says 'AIWA' often, along with other expressions.

Cheers
Janaki

Kharmine

...It is an expression of approval ( I was told by my egyptian friend/drum instructor). When I dance whilst he is drumming, he says 'AIWA' often, along with other expressions...

Ah, thanks for the enlightenment! A sound that's kind of hard to spell...

Moon

Thanks Janaki! One of my teachers uses is sometimes and I was wondering what it meant.

Maria_Aya

Its the most common word that arab mostly audiences say/scream when they see something that the dancer does and like/love it.
Aiwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Kisses and bravo

Maria Aya:D