belly dancing skirt, what should I wear?

aisha101

Hey everyone,
So Im starting a new belly dancing class in the newyear and I'm not sure what to wear... should I just go with jogging or a skirt?
Im not sure what to do ... I really dont want to look like a fool...
Should I just get those scarfs with the coins on them?
I saw these

and these skirts
Dance skirts - Shopping Search Engine - Twenga.com
What should I get? im not sure what to do...
aaah this is frustrating
(I think you know that I tend to overprepare and to freak out if nothing is planned....)
Thanks for helping me out everyone

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Contact the teacher of your class and ask her what she likes her students to wear. Some teachers don't mind coin scarves others dislike them. I wear pants with a spandex based T/shirt, we also wear hipscarves some have coins some are just beads. A few girls occasionally wear tiered skirts for class, but the most common thing is yoga style pants for ease of movement. If you shop on ebay there are lots of places that sell dance pants, just search for them.

I have pants like these (they are sooooo comfortable): ?GD?belly dance tribal goth fusion pants w skirt black (eBay item 320602644312 end time 10-Jan-11 22:46:37 AEDST) : Clothing, Shoes Accessories

Also the basic yoga style and like these below ( these pants are actually sold by one of our members and are very comfortable - link below. Sharif wear Sharifwear.com - Bellydance clothing for divas - Salsa Wear, Gypsy, Tribal, Oriental, & Egyptian Belly Dancing has lots of pants, skirts & tops and I have several pairs of their pants as well. Hope this helps
~Mosaic

Black Gothic Tribal Fusion Belly Dance Pants Yoga S (eBay item 320599273083 end time 03-Jan-11 02:36:00 AEDST) : Clothing, Shoes Accessories

Last edited:

dilarasultan

I agree with Mosaic: I'd wait until your second class to purchase a hip scarf, to determine what other students are wearing. With a cute pair of either yoga pants or practice pants and a form fitting tank/shirt (to see your belly movement), you should be more than equipped for class, and definitely won't look silly!

Last edited:

adiemus

If your teacher is like mine, he or she will have scarves or veils that you can wear around your hips for the first lesson, otherwise if you have a long silk scarf it works well. Yoga pants and a t-shirt are good, you don't need to show your belly off with a midriff top if you don't want to for the first time - the classes I go to don't involve bare bellies, but others I've been to at another teacher do, it's quite individual.
Bare feet are good, or if it's cold you might want to start with ballet shoes (or socks) if you have them - watch the sock wearing, some teachers don't allow them because of the risk of slipping.
Contact your teacher to see what is usually expected - and what's involved in the class, if you're inclined to stress!! Usually they'll start with some warm-ups, get you moving (to see how comfortable you are in your own skin), ask about previous dance experience, and then begin with some simple movements.

You'll find there are loads of hipscarves around - so shop around! they vary a good deal in price and you can pick up some great deals if you're prepared to take some time browsing the interweb.

Rassi

I wear a pair of yoga pants from Target, a tighter fitting tee shirt, and a hip scarf like the one you have in the picture. I've attended many classes, workshops, and have taught many classes over the years and this seems to be the most popular outfit. I don't like skirts, especially on beginners because I can't see if they are correctly placing and using feet and knees.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Unless you're doing a dress rehearsal or are specifically learning a skirt dance, stay away from skirts in class for the reasons Rassi cites. Nuts - we're working on a skirt dance in one of my classes right now and the teacher wouldn't let ANYONE wear a skirt for the first 6 weeks - she wanted us to get the rest of the dance/technique down before we threw skirts into the mix...

Shanazel

A lot of my beginners turn up in skirts at some point. Instead of letting it make me crazy, I just have them tuck the skirts up so I can see their legs. This is mom' night out for several of my girls and the only chance they get to dress up in bling, so I adapt myself to the situation. ;)

Greek Bonfire

I wear a pair of yoga pants from Target, a tighter fitting tee shirt, and a hip scarf like the one you have in the picture. I've attended many classes, workshops, and have taught many classes over the years and this seems to be the most popular outfit. I don't like skirts, especially on beginners because I can't see if they are correctly placing and using feet and knees.

I've been wearing yoga pants from Target for several years, both for taking classes/workshops and, of course, yoga. I find these to be the best fit (no pun intended).