Bra with patterned fabric?

CottonAnatomy

Been awhile since I've been here! Hi, all!

Anyways, I've got a short notice performance this weekend (my first paid gig :dance:) and then a festival the next weekend. I have everything for a costume except a bra and I bought some lil accents for it and what not but not sure what sort of fabric to cover it in. I bought this silky fabric with a pattern on it that fits the color scheme I'm aiming for but I wasn't sure how a bra with patterned fabric would look. Has anyone ever made one? And also, with the fabric being silky, not sure how making the tie for behind my neck would be...wouldn't want the silky fabric to allow the knot untie itself mid-performance.

Anyways, thoughts?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Self patterned fabric should be OK, if it blends with the rest of the costume. But the silky ties could be a problem, unless they were tied really tight, then you may have trouble getting the knot undone. Maybe use some sort of non slip fabric for the ties. I don't know, hopefully one of the many seamstresses here will have some good ideas. Good luck with your project.
~Mosaic

Daimona

How about attaching some sort of eye and hook for closure and giving the silky knots a decorational purpose instead of practical?

Farasha Hanem

Been awhile since I've been here! Hi, all!

Anyways, I've got a short notice performance this weekend (my first paid gig :dance:) and then a festival the next weekend. I have everything for a costume except a bra and I bought some lil accents for it and what not but not sure what sort of fabric to cover it in. I bought this silky fabric with a pattern on it that fits the color scheme I'm aiming for but I wasn't sure how a bra with patterned fabric would look. Has anyone ever made one? And also, with the fabric being silky, not sure how making the tie for behind my neck would be...wouldn't want the silky fabric to allow the knot untie itself mid-performance.

Anyways, thoughts?

Are you KIDDING? :D Some patterned fabrics would make a fabulous costume bra! In fact, Cotton, I have some fabric that I intend to (someday) turn into costume bras. I'm off for the next two days, so if you'd like, I'll take pics of the fabrics and post them here for you to see. It's mostly gorgeous shiny brocades, and I want to make matching belts, too. My idea is to sew bugle and seed beads along some of the patterns, and add bugle bead fringe to the edges of both bra and belt.

Some patterned fabrics would also make great folkloric or tribal bras, or perhaps even Tribaret bras.

One of our members made a beautiful bra out of patterned fabric, but it'll take some time to dig up the thread.

As for the silky ties, you'd probably be better off using more secure fasteners. I have a couple of tie bras (they tie around both neck and back) that are hard to get unknotted after performances because the fabric is made of velvety material. Plus, the knots kind of stand out like a sore thumb, making my back look...what would be the word for it? Goofy? Unpolished? Unprofessional? Anyway, the knots don't look good.

Last edited:

onela

I have a costume (bra and belt) idea kicking around in the back of my brain that involves patterned fabric. I really like working with patterned fabrics, laying them out for cutting is a fun challenge. My first big sewing project was an 18th century striped gown, it was a blast making sure all the stripes lined up :)

Anyhow, I agree with the others that a knotted neckstrap might not work out as well as you would probably like, but I suspect you're thinking it'll be easier to complete within your tight timeframe?

CottonAnatomy

Yeah the time restraint is an issue. I actually took tomorrow off from my job to work on this bra (no free time is a real challenge). My sister is an excellent seamstress and she'll be helping me out. I'm not expecting anything amazing from my first home made bra but I'm just hoping it turns out ok. I feel so unprepared!

Daimona

Don't worry! Just add some sturdy ribbons beneath the silk fabric where you add fasteners, and use the silky fabric to make decorational ties above it. It shouldn't take very much extra time as soon as you've covered the bra.. ;)
Good luck!

Reen.Blom

My first big sewing project was an 18th century striped gown, it was a blast making sure all the stripes lined up :)

Now going off topic.... how about a pic of that 18th century dress?:think: Love historical stuff! Already hoarding Regency patterns, but I dream of something mid 19th -ish....

onela

Alas Reen.Blom I haven't in electronic format (could've sworn I did!). Here's a link to my favourite reference image for the piece, though. My model was a tall gothy chick (whom I am still friends with) that could've walked off the set of a Tim Burton movie! I'd love to do a cool stripey two-piece, it'd be fun to play with the angles of the stripes to cover the bra.

CottonAnatomy

I'll post some pictures when I get home of what I have thus far. It's coming along nicely so far! It wasn't done for the b-day party I performed at this past weekend but I made due with what I had. Hoping to have it done this next weekend for a music festival I'm performing at.

CottonAnatomy

Here is my bra so far. Still have a few accents to add. I'm still trying to decide whether to just cover the straps or make tie ones. I'm leaning towards tie ones. I figure that'd come more in handy when it comes to layering and what not.

I think I'm going to make a coin scarf with the extra material to have it match.....not sure...:think: