Broken mirrors

Suzanne Azhaar

Heiress Ivy Getty recently wore a wedding gown of broken mirrors. Felicitations on the wedding. However, does anyone recall when it was popular for B.D.'s to wear broken glass on costuming? Who was the designer? (Bella?) When was this popular and who wore it first? (Memory isn't what it used to be.) Thank you!

Shanazel

If you are referring to what I think you're referring to, it is a technique called shishadur used in northwestern India. Indian embroidery Examples of shisha embroidery are down the page a piece. I have an ankle length skirt done in shisha work and even with the tiny pieces of mirror, it weighs a ton. Looks pretty spectacular flashing in the sun, though.

Suzanne Azhaar

If you are referring to what I think you're referring to, it is a technique called shishadur used in northwestern India. Indian embroidery Examples of shisha embroidery are down the page a piece. I have an ankle length skirt done in shisha work and even with the tiny pieces of mirror, it weighs a ton. Looks pretty spectacular flashing in the sun, though.
Your skirt sounds wonderful, but not Shisha mirrors. Five to ten years ago, someone created a style using laser cut, light weight material resembling mirrors of different size circles and adhering them to bra and belt base. For those unable to purchase a finished set $$$, there was the option to score and snap the surface of new (unscratched) cd's creating fractured pieces to design the costume with. But, I don't recall who the original designer was, or dancer who made this style famous.

Last edited:

Suzanne Azhaar

Add me to the "bore" list. I keep sewing the same costume in different colors and fabrics. Why? Looks decent, and I like it. Haven't seen any updated costume I can't live without and how long with that style last? Refuse to invest that amount of money into something I might wear a few times, or if there's wt. gain, less than a few times. Ludicrous and financially irresponsible.