Building my costume..

Phoebedances

It's starting to look really good! I love the way you did the bra :). I do think too that the belt needs something more, but not sure what. Do you have a picture of the whole belt?

Thank you, Amulya and Maylynn!! I'm recharging the batteries in a better camera, so tomorrow I'll be able to put up a better picture of the belt. I am planning to do a few draped strands, too. I have some silver chain and onyx and red crystal and tibet silver to mix together.

I've been wanting to get that Devine Brown book. It looks like she has some lovely techniques and ideas in it.

Shanazel

Super Moderator
Amulya, do you have an avitar that my computer is simply not picking up? All I get is one of those little red xes in a box.

(Sorry for the non sequiteur.)

jenc

Right click on box select see picture and you will get taken to Amulya's profile and there it is. i don't know whether it is to big to show normally or what

Shanazel

Super Moderator
Me, either. It comes up on the personal pages just fine. Is it just my computer then or everyone's?

Phoebedances

Sooo.. after one of my coins fell off and I realized it had cut through the heavy carpet thread I used, I'm now trying to use a tapestry needle and braided nylon bead cord to reinforce the attachment of my coins to my costume.

Lesson learned, even if the coin 'bells' seem smooth, some of them are not.

I have two sections of the belt reinforced, but this tapestry needle has quite a dull tip. I think I'll have to try to find some needles with a bigger eye that have a sharp tip or get someone to sharpen this one. The one larger eyed needle I had that was sharp the eye actually broke off the needle as I was trying to push it through the belt fabric!

oh well, just a minor delay in the process and a good lesson to learn before it was all lined!

Shanazel

Super Moderator
Find some crewel needles- you can get them with quite large eyes and they are sharp. That tapestry needle will not only make you crazy, it might actually damage some fabrics. It is made to slip between threads and you need a sharp to piece threads.

By the way, costume coins I sewed on with waxed dental floss in 1978 are still attached to a bedlah that has taken a hell of a beating over the years.

Phoebedances

I had thought about Dental Floss, but was a little worried about the white showing on the black of this material. That's why I went with the black carpet thread, which seems fine for the beading, but not for this. I'm definitely going shopping for needles later.

Maybe the floss wouldn't show, really, though.. The bells are mostly hidden under the beads and under other coins. hmmm

Shanazel

Super Moderator
You could try running the carpet thread through bee's wax, then ironing the thread to soak the wax into the fiber. That would give it more strength and maybe more resistance to cutting.

Phoebedances

You could try running the carpet thread through bee's wax, then ironing the thread to soak the wax into the fiber. That would give it more strength and maybe more resistance to cutting.
That's a good idea - probably would really be great for everything, cause it wouldn't tangle so much either. I think though, I'm going to stick with the nylon beading cord and see how it does for the coins. It's more transparent and I do want to see how durable it is. It seems quite tough.

I already use carpet thread on all the beading, but may try the ironing beeswax into it for that too, never hurts to have a tougher thread to hold things together. ;)

Last edited:

AngelaJP

Embellished Bras by Davina aka Dawn Devine Brown - Author - Costumer - Dancer - Historian[/url]). Dina the Costume Goddess also has a book, but I don't (think I) have that one yet. These can help you with basic principles and steps.

And, I you are not that confident to take on a whole bra from the ground up, try this method:

1) Get a turkish vest.
2) Find an off the rack (lingerie) bra that fits under the turkish vest so that ONLY the cups show. You will not want the straps or back to peek out.
3) Find trim or decoration to embellish the cups and practice sewing those on.
4) If you like your results, you know have some experience under your belt so that you can take on increasingly complicated projects; if you don't, you still have a turkish vest! :)
Gee, thanks so much, Anala! :D I'll check the books online or might enrol in a bellydance costuming workshop here if I still can catch up. That's a fantastic idea about practicing in a cheap bra! ;) Girl, how does a Turkish vest look like and what is that for with regards to making a bra?

PracticalDancer

Girl, how does a Turkish vest look like and what is that for with regards to making a bra?
Let's see if I can embed a picture (from a Mac, using Safari, no less!)

A turkish vest is like a tight fitting blouse, except for it is cropped like a choli, has a deep scooping neckline that actually falls under the bra cup, can be with or without sleeves, and usually hooks in the front (under the bra). In this case, the purpose is to hide the straps and side panels that give away the fact that it's a "street" bra and not a costume bra.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Anala

Amulya

I find making a turkish vest harder then making a belly dance bra...
I've tried a couple of times and it never comes out very nice. Maybe because I did it with sleeves, I really like sleeves. Of course it would help if there was some good online pattern available.

Phoebedances

Just a picture of me dancing for some friends. I didn't get the whole costume done for this, so I ended up dancing in one of my old costumes - a beladi dress that my teacher brought back from Egypt for us many moons ago. I just took this along to show, and forgot the matching hip scarf, which is why the one I'm wearing is black (actually my practice hip scarf )

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this is because the veil is of the silk I dyed, and I think it shows the color very well. Forgive the closed eyes!

This picture really makes me want my long, long hair back.. :(

PracticalDancer

I find making a turkish vest harder then making a belly dance bra...
I've tried a couple of times and it never comes out very nice. Maybe because I did it with sleeves, I really like sleeves. Of course it would help if there was some good online pattern available.
I should confess that I have not yet made a turkish vest. I am not that bold yet. :( I have either bought them or repurposed them. By that, I mean that I will take a store bought vest and add trim to convert it.

Here is the "before" shot and the "after." (I think this was a $7 US find from TJ Maxx.) The sad thing is, I probably doubled or tripled my investment with the embellishments!

BTW, this is another good way to practice sewing on embellishments!

Regards,

Anala