Celebs That Look Like Belly Dancers

Starmouth

Paloma Faith:

Nichelle Nichols (LOVE that woman!)

Belly Love

Intersting that you ladies 'cast' dark haired tanned ladies... trying to fit image of 'arabic beauty?' They all look like clones/ sisters and cousins of Nagwa Karam and Nancy Ajram.

No, not trying to fit an image. Often times when one thinks of belly dance they think of the ME, no? It's just a correlation combined with a personal preference. I have always been partial to brunette and tan (which is why I'm a natural blonde whose been coloring my hair dark brown on and off since I was a teen and often wear self-tanner).

And my ladies are from various backgrounds: Indian, Russian, Columbian, Brazillian, Native American and most of them do not look Arabic to me.

OMG my girl crush would be an AMAZING belly dancer!!! Christina Hendricks ya'll!

I agree!

Nailah_Siti

If you know her story you will understand why I said she would be a great dancer. She is very passionate, loving, strong, emotional woman

LadyFatima

Intersting that you ladies 'cast' dark haired tanned ladies... trying to fit image of 'arabic beauty?' They all look like clones/ sisters and cousins of Nagwa Karam and Nancy Ajram.

Kind of strange to see no blonds/redheads? Freckled/pale? Black? Asian?

:

You're totally right. I guess we were all more or less thinking of women who fit the image of the 'arabic beauty'. Personally I was actually trying to think of celebrity women who happened to have fuller figures.

(Definately not saying that women who DON'T have full figures can't belly dance)

For example (although I'm not sure if this really counts) I don't know how many of you actually remember her, but during the 90's, there was this very popular music artists named Aaliyah. She was often referred to as a "black goddess". She had a slim body but she used to use belly dancing moves in a lot of her choreography (the belly rolls for example, she did those beautifully)

Sadly, she passed away in a plane crash back in 2001, but she definately had the looks and moves of a belly dancer.

I'm having a brain freeze right now, but I'm definately going to try to come up with some suggestions. . .:think:

Nailah_Siti

I think we women often perpetuate our own standards of beauty and increasing knowledge about it can help to someday end it (maybe). I honestly think a woman that "looks" like a belly dancer has amazing confidence and strength regardless of what her physical nature is. I have seen some VERY physically attractive women belly dance and because they lack confidence, strength and an ability to portray authentic emotion, they don't LOOK like a belly dancer at all. They come off as wannabe's doing some moves. I recently have become aware that we idolize one "kind" of woman, the woman that we wish we looked like. Honestly, I absolutely love the way I look (although I kid that God made my belly hairy, my thighs cellulite-y and gave me stretch marks because I was coming too close to perfection).

I have a friend on Facebook who constantly posts pictures of these VERY muscular, strong woman commenting that it is her dream body. However, it is very obvious no matter how hard she works, she will never look like that because it is not her body type. I sent her some videos of various belly dancers of different sizes, ages, races, etc. to illustrate that beauty is not one-size fits all and vice versa. If we start admiring each other for the goddesses that radiate from within, we will see that ANY woman can LOOK like a belly dancer.

Nailah_Siti

And while I'm in the mood for breaking down the barriers of conventional beauty, I nominate a beautiful soul, Jill Scott ladies and gents! And a HOT full figured body, Toccarra!

Last edited:

Belly Love

I think we women often perpetuate our own standards of beauty and increasing knowledge about it can help to someday end it (maybe).

What's wrong with having beauty standards? Just because one has a personal preference doesn't mean she doesn't find beauty in those who don't fit her preferences. For example, I have a personal preference for dark hair. I think many shades of hair color are beautiful, but I'm partial to dark. Besides the fact that it would be impossible and completely go against human nature, why would finding every shade in the world equally as beautiful as the next make me a better person?

I honestly think a woman that "looks" like a belly dancer has amazing confidence and strength regardless of what her physical nature is. I have seen some VERY physically attractive women belly dance and because they lack confidence, strength and an ability to portray authentic emotion, they don't LOOK like a belly dancer at all. They come off as wannabe's doing some moves.

I think you are reading way too much into the subject. This is fluff. It's not about "everyone can look like a belly dancer" because there is no set standard for what a belly dancer looks like. It's just about women who makes us think, "belly dancer". It's more than just looks. I think Nicole Kidman is beautiful but I would never think of her as a belly dancer because she isn't sensual to me... she comes off as very stoic.

Btw- I have seen plenty of physcially unattrative women who are awful belly dancers and I find that critics go much easier on them than they do much more attractive belly dancers.

If we start admiring each other for the goddesses that radiate from within, we will see that ANY woman can LOOK like a belly dancer.

Yes, anyone can "look" like a belly dancer, but I think it's okay to have personal preferences and discuss them. Why do I have to look at every woman on the planet and think she looks like a belly dancer? Everyone is different, therefore, different people are going to make you think of different things. Plus, how can we admire someone for who she is inside when we don't know her personally?

Why does every post on here about looks have to be put in a negative light? Everyone on here compliments each other and tells each other how physically beautiful they are, complimenting their pictures and telling them how gorgeous they look, but if you post a picture of a celebrity or model there is an outcry of "We shouldn't focus on society's standards of beauty, etc." So, it's okay to say your fellow belly dancer that she's physically beautiful and go on and on but it's not okay to say a famous actress is stunning?

Could you imagine if I read a comment where one member was posting about another member's pictures saying how stunning she looks and then I left a comment about how we should focus on inner beauty, like it's a negative thing that one person was telling another she's beautiful? We all know inner beauty is most important, but this is just another thread that's about something fun and superficial, can't we just leave it at that and have fun with it?

*Nailah_Siti- just so you know, I'm not attacking you personally. It's just that silly threads like always get turned into an issue of inner beauty vs. superficiality, so I just wanted to address it. ;)

Nailah_Siti

I agree, this thread is about who we (meaning personal opinion) think looks like a belly dancer. I personally dont think that there is one look (my opinion). Everyone I posted are people who I feel look like they could be great belly dancers, and sometimes knowing a little bit about whats inside does help shape my opinion. I love a variety of different looks n shapes n sizes and I think its ok to celebrate individual physical beauty even if its not standard. I just personally have a wide array of what I like. Its interesting how tastes change person to person, country to country, etc.

Belly Love

Glad you understand what I'm saying. My thoughts on the subject have nothing to do with you personally :)

Omgosh, I can totally see Marilyn as a belly dancer! She's so playful and feminine, which is something I like to see in belly dance performances.

Nailah_Siti

Marilyn had such a natural "kitty" personality which is perfect for belly dance! She easily could've come off as slutty but her personality kept her desirable because she was flirty not skanky lol I saw my twin in the news (I didnt make this up everyone says we look alike) She looks great and would make a fun belly dancer

Reen.Blom

*RANT START*

Why do I have to look at every woman on the planet and think she looks like a belly dancer?

YOU personally do not have to.

However I do believe that EVERYONE has the potential to dance.

I find it really sad that so many people are not in touch with their bodies. As humans we no longer rely on the strength and dexterity of our bodies to survive, unlike wild animals.

As you walk down the street do you notice how many people have bad posture, downcast look, rigidity in their bodies, chronic pains? We dont walk as far, we dont use our muscles, we sit in an office and then we sit in front of the TV. Yes yes there are exceptions, but on average it is very very sad.

And yes no matter the views or upbringing or how stiff we become, there is an opportunity for everyone, whether it is dancing or other physical activities.

If you can dance, and wear you costume you ARE bellydancer. What makes you look like one? Wide hips? big boobs? Thin waist? Long dark hair?
In this case here's your perfect bellydancer:

it's not okay to say a famous actress is stunning?

Of course it is ok, It is just weird to stereotype what a 'real bellydancer' supposed to look like.;)

Here is your 'stunning' in making.

SO what is real then? Photoshopped covers of magazines?

However I do believe ANYONE can look beautiful with right makeup costuming, hair, after all it is the light inside that makes you beautiful. Do you REALLY find the airbrushed and photoshopped celebrity barbie dolls so beautiful? Are they as beautiful when they wake up in the morning if they are tired or didnt get enough sleep??

A bellydancer is not made by looks or costume. Too many of those wriggling and jiggling on youtube in their bedrooms that make us scream 'this is FAKE!!!!!'

It is DANCING that makes one a bellydancer. Even without wearing 'bellydance' costume or having the 'right' haircolour or 'right' bodyshape.

I hate that women are forced to 'FIT' the image of beauty of makup adverts or magazine covers.

Look at yourself in the mirror and smile. Real beauty is right there.

*RANT OVER*

Belly Love

Uhm.... what???

You have completely turned what the subject is actually about into something else. No one is talking about who has the potential to dance- what does that have to do with what were talking about?

Sometimes people hear what they want to hear no matter what is actually being said...

Can't something just be for fun? Why do people's issues always have to turn fluffy beauty thread into some in-depth psychological arguement?

And yes, I do think many airbrushed celebs are beautiful. They may not look the way they do in real life as they do on the cover of magazines, but many of them still look beautiful in real life, they are not just beautiful because they are airbrushed, many of them are beautiful to begin with. I have seen Adriana Lima in person and she is gorgeous. GORGEOUS. Saying that has nothing to do with the way I feel about myself. This whole subject is not talking about comparing ourselves to celebrities... geez.

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

Really? I thought you have just presented a long line of stereotyped faces and bodies that 'look like a bellydancer'? Not your every women, hu? I find it REALLY odd that it comes from people who aspire to be bellydancers!

Every day we complain that we are told that we are too pale, or too dark, or too fat or too thin, or that we are blond or dont have enough curves... TO BE A BELLYDANCER. We are trying to break that stereotype, that if we dont look like an arabic style doll we can still dance???? We are told to tan, dye hair, pad the bra or cover the stomach or whatever....

Well good luck with your 'image'.

Belly Love

:wall:
I get the feeling you just looked at the pics posted without actually reading every comment... if you did read all of the comments, I'm baffled.

Correlating ME looking women to a ME dance... NO WAY! The shame of people! Dare I see a a sun-kissed blonde and think of California! Dare I see a spanish person and think of Flamenco! You know, whenever I see a woman in leggings with a tight bun in their hair I think of ballet... should I be ashamed of that too? After all, not all ballet dancers wear buns in their hair. :rolleyes:

As I said before, this is a personal preference combined with a correlation- it has nothing to do with who can and cannot look like a belly dancer or be a belly dancer.

I'm done.