Choose your dancing name

Salome

Administrator
Fun, name meanings... Both my legal and dance name are of hebrew origin, one means peace and the other wave of god.

Kiraze

In Finland using dancing names has never been very popular so sometimes I find it funny how even some non-professional dancers can have very fancy names... here in Singapore it seems to be some fad amongst at least one dance school to create new names to all their dancers and troups and some misunderstandings (like using male name for female dancers) are hilarious and far too common.

It would be nice to have also some list of names that can have some bad connotations - e.g. Raya and Sakina were notorious serial killers in Egypt so those names are not necessarily very good choices for Egyptian or Arab audiences... Same name can also mean different things with different languages - well, obviously not too many foreign dancers are heading to Finland but e.g. names like Kamala, Etana or Ahava can sound funny for Finnish audiences (awful, snail, weather-beaten):D - of course people cannot think about all those thousands of different languages of the world but how you exactly choose your names? According to your dancing style, audience or just something that feels good?

Outi

well, obviously not too many foreign dancers are heading to Finland but e.g. names like Kamala, Etana or Ahava can sound funny for Finnish audiences (awful, snail, weather-beaten):D
Yep, I have been laughing to these names, too.

I just can't take it seriously when Etana (snail) is writing or dancing. :whistle: :think: :tongue:

Shanazel

I chose Shanazel because I wanted something that brought pleasant images to my mind, and I also wanted something not everyone else would be using. I made it up from Shoshanna (hebrew: rose) and zel (bell), but according to the information on the first site, Shanazel would mean beautiful/special. I would like to make a general announcement that I am not conceited enough to name myself any kind of Special Beauty. :rolleyes: Sounds like a racehorse (now, out of gate number three, the leading favorite Special Beauty).

My real name is unusual, but not anywhere near ethnically appropriate for a middle eastern style dancer. I did use it occasionally when I first started dancing, but I preferred to separate my dancing personna from my real life one. If anyone called my house looking for Shanazel, I knew immediately why they were calling.

Last edited:

Salome

Administrator
but how you exactly choose your names? According to your dancing style, audience or just something that feels good?

Hi Kiraze,

my mom chose my stage name for me when I was a little girl. Salome is my grandmothers first name so that's how I came by mine.

Shannon

I struggled with picking a name and only recently found one I like... I wanted something that suits my beliefs and what I am passionate about... which is helping children born into poverty. I use the art of dance to entertain, educate and encourage others to make a difference in our world. I really like to find out what different names mean.