Cleaning Coin Bedlah

Greek Bonfire

I took out my coin bra and noticed that it could use some polishing. Does anybody know what I should use for this? I thought maybe that old remedy toothpaste would work, but I am hoping for a better solution. Thanks.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I haven't got any other ideas, but if you use toothpaste, try it on one inconspicuous coin first, because I had a couple of loose coins that had tarnished and wanted to replace some missing ones on a hipscarf, so used toothpaste, and it caused them to end up very dull and odd looking. Maybe toothpaste is bit harsh for some of the paint or whatever they use to colour the coins. I have used a toothbrush and soap on a pair of coin earrings that had become dull looking and that bought the shine back to them, maybe it would work on your bedlah. ~Mosaic

gisela

Super Moderator
I hope you find a way to get a good result. Coins get so yucky over time. If it was my bedlah I would hope for lemon or vinegar to do the trick as I can't stand the ketchup-smell :lol:. If you remember it would be cool to hear how it turned out.

Greek Bonfire

I hope you find a way to get a good result. Coins get so yucky over time. If it was my bedlah I would hope for lemon or vinegar to do the trick as I can't stand the ketchup-smell :lol:. If you remember it would be cool to hear how it turned out.

I will. What's so bizarre is that I packed it away. Before that when it was in the "open" it didn't get dull at all. Now with the deprivation of oxygen, it did get dull, which baffles me. It would help if I knew more about chemistry, etc., then I would probably be able to figure all that out.

Greek Bonfire

I haven't gotten around yet to trying any of these methods (holidays and other catch up) but I have since taken my coin bra out of storage and left it in the open. Would you believe that the coins are getting a little shinier? I wonder if a lack of oxygen was causing them to become dull...:confused:

Shakti

Glad thing are looking better for your costume!

I polished my zills gently using a soft buffing attachment for a Dremel tool and some polish safe for brass. Depending on the metal on your costume this could work, if the coins are real and not costume coins.

Greek Bonfire

They are costume coins and lightweight. But they must have some metal because of the tarnish factor. Maybe if I leave it out for a few days, it will miraculously glow again! Don't think so - I will still polish it up.

onela

I haven't gotten around yet to trying any of these methods (holidays and other catch up) but I have since taken my coin bra out of storage and left it in the open. Would you believe that the coins are getting a little shinier? I wonder if a lack of oxygen was causing them to become dull...:confused:

I spend a lot of time handling war medals and broken trophies at work, and leaving them out in air to make them shiny doesn't make sense- this stuff happens because things are exposed to air (oxygen and/or pollutants), usually. What were you storing your costume in? If it's in plastic that isn't innert, it's possible the plastic is deteriorating and offing gas causing a chemical reaction to the coins. Can you post a picture of some of the coins?

You could try using renaissance wax to coat the coins and seal them from the elements. There are also so many good metal polishes on the market, that personally, I feel it's a little silly to use home remedies for polishing.

Greek Bonfire

I spend a lot of time handling war medals and broken trophies at work, and leaving them out in air to make them shiny doesn't make sense- this stuff happens because things are exposed to air (oxygen and/or pollutants), usually. What were you storing your costume in? If it's in plastic that isn't innert, it's possible the plastic is deteriorating and offing gas causing a chemical reaction to the coins. Can you post a picture of some of the coins?

You could try using renaissance wax to coat the coins and seal them from the elements. There are also so many good metal polishes on the market, that personally, I feel it's a little silly to use home remedies for polishing.

Yes, it was in a plastic bag, so I think you may have hit the nail on the head for future storage. Thanks for your advice!

PracticalDancer

A friend once recommended wrapping coin items in tissue paper "to keep the coins shiny." If it were acid free paper it would make even more sense; perhaps with regular paper it just keeps them dry by absorbing the humidity? :think: