Copy a Didem routine?

nataliecloud9

I just want to know if it belly dancer's copy other dancer's performances for their performances, like Didem's for example.

I am trying to learn belly dancing by following/copying one of her routines on YouTube.

Farasha Hanem

I believe it's generally considered to be bad form. There was a thread about this subject at one time, let me see if I can find it so I can post the link for you.

EDIT: Here we are:

http://bellydanceforums.net/performance/1812-copying-other-dancers-choreographies-videos.html

I hope this thread will be helpful to you in making an informed decision. *hugs*

EDIT: Golly, who knew Didem copied the Bellydance Superstars? oO;;;;

Oh, just for the record, it's fine to practice at home, imitating performance DVD's in private in order to learn new moves, as long as you never take it to the stage. You can take some of your fav moves and mix them in different combos with different music from the original routine, but if you copy a routine move-for-move with the same music, you're infringing upon someone else's intellectual property.

But honestly, it's best to just put on your fav ME music, and use the moves you've learned in class. You can mix and match different combos and learn how to improv.

Last edited:

Darshiva

Caveat on Farasha's comment - it is okay to use someone else's choreography so long as you give FULL credit.

I've performed a choreography by Keti Sharif (with changes by myself) and had the event organiser credit the choreographer in the program for me.

I have taught an Aida Nour choreography I learned from another teacher for the last few years in workshops and as a class choreo. Always with full credit both to the choreographer and the teacher I learned it from.

So long as you give full credit, using someone else's work is fine within reason. If they have said no to anyone performing their choreo, then no matter how much credit you give, it is NEVER okay to use their work.

Kashmir

As performance or where anyone can see you? No, never (not even if you give credit - she isn't giving away her choreography - she is giving away her performance) This is plain theft.

The only time you should use another dancer's choreography is when s/he explicitly teaches it to you - either in class or by DVD. (And even then I have come across teachers who insist you must get their permission to perform it - in these cases I think they are worried someone will hash their work and then they won't want their name associated with it)

As a learning tool? At home/in the studio to expand your own knowledge - sure - any time. And if you end up including some of her combinations or transitions in your own routine - no problem.

Aniseteph

Copying for the purposes of learning is fine.

Ethics aside, if you don't give credit when performing someone else's work and let people think it's your own, someone will catch you sooner or later, and that never looks good. Everyone else can find that same clip you copied. ;)

Darshiva

That's a really good point Kashmir - in the instances I outlined above, permission was given from both my teachers to teach & perform the choreos. With instructional DVDs, that permission is implied unless otherwise stated.

I'd feel really miffed if someone saw my youtube performances & copied them, even if they did give credit. Secretly flattered, but ultimately miffed.

Yame

I just want to know if it belly dancer's copy other dancer's performances for their performances, like Didem's for example.

I am trying to learn belly dancing by following/copying one of her routines on YouTube.

It's perfectly fine to use her videos for practicing and enriching your dance. Following/copying other dancers is a great way to learn.

If you're going to use someone else's choreography for a performance though, be sure to give them full credit. As others mentioned, you should also have permission to use their choreography, but when it comes to more famous dancers it can be hard if not impossible to get in touch with them.

charlieL

I believe it's generally considered to be bad form. There was a thread about this subject at one time, let me see if I can find it so I can post the link for you.

EDIT: Here we are:

http://bellydanceforums.net/performance/1812-copying-other-dancers-choreographies-videos.html

I hope this thread will be helpful to you in making an informed decision. *hugs*

EDIT: Golly, who knew Didem copied the Bellydance Superstars? oO;;;;

Oh, just for the record, it's fine to practice at home, imitating performance DVD's in private in order to learn new moves, as long as you never take it to the stage. You can take some of your fav moves and mix them in different combos with different music from the original routine, but if you copy a routine move-for-move with the same music, you're infringing upon someone else's intellectual property.

But honestly, it's best to just put on your fav ME music, and use the moves you've learned in class. You can mix and match different combos and learn how to improv.

It`s good to note that one thing is to copy the choreography step by step and another thing is to dance the same music and use isis wings as Didem did, thus many people confuse copying a choeography and dancing with the same music, in my opinion Didem didnt copy Amar Gamal nor Rachel Brice in a drum solo she danced the same music Rachel used.

Farasha Hanem

How do you find archives of old treads?

I clicked on "Search" in the dark peach band at the top of the page (it's between "New Posts" and "Quick Links"). You can then type in key words to pull up old threads or posts on the subject you're looking for. :)

farasharaks

I agree with what everyone is saying, it's fine to look at videos and learn and see other people's styles, and want to practice a move at home. But really do not copy someone it is in bad taste, unless you are giving them full credit for the use of their choreography. Also, I hope that you are actually taking bellydance classes with a real teacher and not expect to be learning only from videos on youtube. Learning bellydance is way more involved and complicated than just copying moves from youtube. You must learn the proper curriculum and the necessary basic movements first. Good luck and happy dancing!:D

lily_raks

I have two teachers. The one I have been taking classes with the longest, always tells us to give credit to the choreographer if we will use it. And she wants us to ask her permission to use any of her choreographies for solo since we use many for the troupe. The other teacher I have says her classes come with all the rights to use her choreographies and posts the videos online and doesn't mind if we use any of them without giving her credit. But I give her credit anyway if I use any of her choreographies from class. I tend not to use other people's choreographies though. I learn from them and if I like the song, and some of the moves, I create my own choreography. Samething goes for videos. I love some of the choreographies there but feel funny performing them step by step. I have thought of using one from a video and giving credit but haven't done it yet. Part of it is that I prefer to improv and have a skeleton vs strict choreography and the other part is that I want my dance to be unique. But I've seen people perform a choreography from someone else and give full credit, so like everyone else said, as long as you do that you can perform the choreography if it is taught in person or video. Not sure of youtube videos though.

Mahin

So long as you give full credit, using someone else's work is fine within reason. If they have said no to anyone performing their choreo, then no matter how much credit you give, it is NEVER okay to use their work.

I think it goes beyond not using it if they have said no. You should only use it if you have their express permission. And then you do have to credit the choreography to the author. And tweaking a few steps doesn't make the body of the work "yours" either IMO.

Mahin

Darshiva

That's the 'within reason' bit I was talking about.

Nicking something off youtube (even if you credit it) is not okay. Performing a choreo you learned from an instructional dvd IS OKAY.