Costuming for Day Time Restaurant Gig

lily_raks

I have this gig every Friday at noon. The restaurant promotes belly dancing this day at lunch time. It is indoors but very bright and all glass doors. I feel a little odd with my flashy Emans and Bella costumes but that's what the owner wants and what the previous dancer wore. The place is always full and doesn't have a stage. I can't really put on a show and just dance around entertaining the customers. Very different from the night time sub gig I do every now and then. Is this dancing during the day at restaurant gigs not uncommon? I like the customers and they come to see me but some do look amused to find a belly dancer during the day.

Is it normal to wear fancy costumes? and what about make-up? A little lighter than for a night time gig?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Personally I think it is normal & appropriate to wear full 'blinged up' costuming during day - nothing wrong with it. As for makeup, I suppose that depends on the type of lighting, if the place has full daylight, a little lighter makeup would be OK. If you feel overdressed maybe you have a couple of costumes that are not as blingy as others but still give the expected 'Bellydancer' look that you would be more comfortable in. I think choice is up to the individual whether it is night or day. If the customers like it, go for it:D
~Mosaic

Darshiva

I'd go the whole hog. That's what the client is paying for, that's what they are expecting, so that's what they should get. On the other hand if it's a case of 'perform for tips & a free meal', well they can deal with a hip scarf & a circle skirt! :p

Gia al Qamar

I would wear bedleh but add a belly net or belly cover...arm bands or turkish vest to cover a bit more...you can still be blingy and 'afternoon' saving more exposure for evening shows!

Greek Bonfire

I would wear bedleh but add a belly net or belly cover...arm bands or turkish vest to cover a bit more...you can still be blingy and 'afternoon' saving more exposure for evening shows!

Good idea. Then they may wonder what your stuff is for prime time.

Always leave them wishing for more, at least costume-wise, it seems to me.