Dina Sued for Encouraging Bellydancing

Imeera

I honestly don't understand the artical. Are they saying that belly dancing in general is bad, or just that Dina hosting it is bad?

Greek Bonfire

Seeing that there is a lot of political and social unrest in Cairo the past couple of days, I would say they are saying that both are bad. What I would like to know is that even though the extreme religionists believe in staying in the sixth century, why do they use modern media and drive in cars????

Imeera

Seeing that there is a lot of political and social unrest in Cairo the past couple of days, I would say they are saying that both are bad. What I would like to know is that even though the extreme religionists believe in staying in the sixth century, why do they use modern media and drive in cars????

Oooh. Yes I supose your right. Its like creationists complaining about science and driving cars and using medicine. But sometimes I think there is a difference. I am sure none of you would walk around in Egypt or Syria or Saudi with a mini skirt on and a strap top. We would never eat an ice cream on the street in Ramadan. I would never dance in a certain way there either. If that is what they see as bad, so be it. I don't think being modern needs to believe in certain "modern" morals. I certainly don't, I think they are too loose in the western world. Not that I am saying they are completely right in other countries, I do not agree with many rules there either, they are just different.

walladah

This is not a good sign

and i hope that the judges will apply the law, as even religious law does not consider bellydance teaching as a sin, not even dance altogether...

and the practical thing: will the classes be transmitted on a subscription basis? we want details!

Tarik Sultan

In light of the current political situation, I'd say this is a lame attempt to distract the public with bullshi*. Honestly, does this guy need a hoby or what? I think he should be sued for wasting the court's time with total nonsense.

Dev

In light of the current political situation, I'd say this is a lame attempt to distract the public with bullshi*. Honestly, does this guy need a hoby or what? I think he should be sued for wasting the court's time with total nonsense.

Exactly my thoughts. There are much bigger fish to fry in Egypt than Dina and Belly Dancing.
This is more like a publicity stunt.

Also its not uncommon in Egypt to sue somebody for obscenity. It happened before with other artists and it will happen again. Waste of time for the justice system.

LunaXJJ

"Ethically intolerable?" Pfft. That's really ignorant.
Belly dance has a lot more class then some of the other dances we have today. Ever been to a club?
Belly dance is such a beautiful, expressive art form. To think someone would try to stop belly dance from spreading to a newer audience is just sad.

Imeera

"Ethically intolerable?" Pfft. That's really ignorant.
Belly dance has a lot more class then some of the other dances we have today. Ever been to a club?
Belly dance is such a beautiful, expressive art form. To think someone would try to stop belly dance from spreading to a newer audience is just sad.

You are so right there. Its one of the best dances which is why I hate it when people just use it to look "sexy". It gives it a bad name =[

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Also its not uncommon in Egypt to sue somebody for obscenity. It happened before with other artists and it will happen again. Waste of time for the justice system.

I'm wondering who bears the costs of these frivolous lawsuits? Does Dina have to pay out of her own pocket to defend herself? (Well, she's a licensed lawyer, though, isn't she?) Still, are their tax dollars going towards these lawsuits? If I were a citizen, I would be incensed, as I am when I see this kind of nonsense in American courts.

Tarik Sultan

Exactly my thoughts. There are much bigger fish to fry in Egypt than Dina and Belly Dancing.
This is more like a publicity stunt.

Well, if its a publicity stunt... okaaay.... Still think the timing sucks though. Also, I don't see why a stunt would be needed. Lebanon has a very successful dance competition show, so I don't see why she would need extra publicity for hers, especially with a legend like agwa on the show.:think:

Ariadne

I would assume it's a publicity stunt for the lawyer involved rather then Dina. She has no need of publicity and how many people knew his name before this?

Eshta

Erm, I don't think he's trying to sue Dina for teaching belly dance, but for trying to create a TV show out of doing so. I think that's the context. Remember Egypt has heavily censored TV...