Discovering Figs

Greek Bonfire

I am stealing this idea from Bhuz. Recently, I saw a thread where eating figs is great for your sking and other dancers were having remarkable results by eating figs. So today I bought my first box (just one American dollar at Walgreen's) and I'll let you know the results. From what I read, they were pretty instantaneous. And they taste pretty good too.

Who wants to join in? :dance:

Farasha Hanem

:doh: Ohhhhh, figs, as tired as I am, I first read that as dates! :wall: I love dried dates, but not too crazy about figs. :(

Would eating Fig Newtons accomplish the same thing? :think: If so, I'm in! :D

Belly Love

I wonder if it has to do with figs making you go to the bathroom more often? That would mean toxins aren't sitting in your body as long therefore your skin looks better...?

If so, organic would be the best choice if possible.

I don't think Fig Newtons count!

Marya

I am stealing this idea from Bhuz. Recently, I saw a thread where eating figs is great for your sking and other dancers were having remarkable results by eating figs. So today I bought my first box (just one American dollar at Walgreen's) and I'll let you know the results. From what I read, they were pretty instantaneous. And they taste pretty good too.

Who wants to join in? :dance:

Fresh Figs or dried?

Greek Bonfire

I am eating figs from a box, not necessarily fresh but not dried either. But I've read that figs from Fig Newtons do have some effect, although not the same as fresh or even dried figs. And I do believe that figs have more than one benefit, and keeping toxins a/k/a going to the bathroom better, is also one of their benefits. Actually, prolly the reason why skin is more clear is because the body is being rid of more toxins.

And I did confuse them with dates - I like dates much better but after the recent lumpectomy I've had, getting rid of toxins in my body is high on my list!

gisela

Super Moderator
:lol: I read that bhuz thread too and I bought figs three days ago so I'm in already. My skin is baaad so I'll try anything. So far no change but I like the figs. It is quite expensive here though.

Greek Bonfire

:lol: I read that bhuz thread too and I bought figs three days ago so I'm in already. My skin is baaad so I'll try anything. So far no change but I like the figs. It is quite expensive here though.

I got them at Walgreen's for a dollar a box. And Marya, they are dried, although they don't taste like dried. I might have to try and buy them fresh. I eat dried prunes too and they do help with the other "plumbing" :lol:

gisela

Super Moderator
I found them for 3.5 dollars for about 12 figs in a bag :shok: and those weren't even the organic ones. They cost even more.

da Sage

I found them for 3.5 dollars for about 12 figs in a bag :shok: and those weren't even the organic ones. They cost even more.

Have you tried an ethnic food store - Middle Eastern or Mediterranean? I sometimes have good luck finding odd things at that sort of place.

Belly Love

Cutting out sugar & dairy can greatly help with skin issues. When I eat clean (organic veggies, legumes, fruits, etc.) my skin looks amazing- no zits. When I eat crappy (white sugars, cheese, processed foods) my skin breaks out easily.

Some experts say that greasy food and chocolate do not 'cause zits - NOT TRUE. It's not direct, it's just that these foods affect your hormones and hormones are a major cause of break outs. Also, if it's not organic, a lot of foods are full of chemicals, hormones, etc which your body sees as toxic and needs to get rid of. Your body gets rid of toxins 3 ways- through your mouth, your bowels and through your SKIN!

Veggies and fruits (figs) especially those rich in color, are a great source of antioxidants.

Nejmeh

Some experts say that greasy food and chocolate do not 'cause zits - NOT TRUE. It's not direct, it's just that these foods affect your hormones and hormones are a major cause of break outs. Also, if it's not organic, a lot of foods are full of chemicals, hormones, etc which your body sees as toxic and needs to get rid of. Your body gets rid of toxins 3 ways- through your mouth, your bowels and through your SKIN!

Sorry, but thats not completely true. My bf is a chocolatier and its not the chocolate itself that makes you break out, its the stuff they mix it with in most commercial products. Actually, pure cocoa is good for your body and skin;)

For the figs, I`ve been in the last 20 years and my body is not complaining:dance:

Belly Love

Sorry, but thats not completely true. My bf is a chocolatier and its not the chocolate itself that makes you break out, its the stuff they mix it with in most commercial products. Actually, pure cocoa is good for your body and skin;)

I'm wasn't referring to pure cocoa. I, nor does anyone else I know, eat pure cocoa by itself. When I say "chocolate" I'm referring to candy bars, truffles, etc. A VERY LITTLE amount of organic/natural dark chocolate can be good for you, but most people aren't eating it this way. Most chocolate eaten around the world (especially in the U.S.) is milk chocolate with a low cocoa content that can be full of many other things such as food coloring and preservatives. (Which I guess is what your saying as well :)) And I'm going to guess that most people also do not only eat the recommended healthy amount when it comes to chocolate- 'cause it's a very small amount.

FYI Ladies- The best chocolate I have ever come across in my entire life (and the only chocolate I ever eat) is Vosges. They are based out of Chicago, but I believe they have stores in NY, Vegas...? You can order online as well. Trust me, it's AMAZING!

Last edited:

Greek Bonfire

I had adult acne most of my life, and no matter what I ate or didn't ate, it never made a difference. Maybe for some people, but not me. And my doctor told me as well that it is purely hormones and how much they rage. But maybe some people who don't have such raging hormones can change their skin problems with certain foods because for some people it does work. I didn't have any such luck.

Nejmeh

How is your skin? Do you eat fresh or dried?

Still not good, but taken in consideration I have severe allergie and exzema(uh, the itchie red stuff) which used to cover me from head to feet in blood, I do believe it inforces my skin. I notice a difference between eating them and not, my skin tends to break less and feels softer. Mostly dried, but if I can get my hand on the fresh ones....:shok::D

Greek Bonfire

I'm wasn't referring to pure cocoa. I, nor does anyone else I know, eat pure cocoa by itself. When I say "chocolate" I'm referring to candy bars, truffles, etc. A VERY LITTLE amount of organic/natural dark chocolate can be good for you, but most people aren't eating it this way. Most chocolate eaten around the world (especially in the U.S.) is milk chocolate with a low cocoa content that can be full of many other things such as food coloring and preservatives. (Which I guess is what your saying as well :)) And I'm going to guess that most people also do not only eat the recommended healthy amount when it comes to chocolate- 'cause it's a very small amount.

FYI Ladies- The best chocolate I have ever come across in my entire life (and the only chocolate I ever eat) is Vosges. They are based out of Chicago, but I believe they have stores in NY, Vegas...? You can order online as well. Trust me, it's AMAZING!

You are so right about chocolate - it's all the junk (or good stuff ;)) they add that isn't!

Belly Love

I find that eating sugar/dairy/processed foods makes my skin break out and eating organic/raw foods helps my skin to look more youthful/glowy and keep free of breakouts. (I may have posted this earlier??)

Also, if I go to be without washing my face, I will for sure get bumps on it throughout the week. One night will mess up my face for an entire week.

I think being dilligent with a skincare routine & healthy eating habits helps everyone's skin. Of course some more than others, but anyone I've ever known who has crossed over from eating "regular" food to eating super clean has noticed a major difference in their skin. I used to have bad skin and nothing worked (or worked for very long) until I cut out sugar/dairy/processed foods. I went from having crappy skin to having amazing skin.

It's not so amazing now because I've been drinking chocolate milk for the past few weeks :shok:

Oh, changing pillowcases often is a good idea too.

Last edited: