Do I have to be a Tribal/ Fusion dancer to wear Tribal clothing?

AyaKara

I know that it's such a random question, but it stems off of my ATS thread :lol:

I'm really in love with Tribal's fashion, makeup, & overall aesthetic but not Tribal dance itself. If I were to study Cabaret or Egyptian, would I be allowed to dress that way for performances, or would I have to do Tribal Fusion of ATS & Cabaret or Egyptian? :D

mahsati_janan

I know that it's such a random question, but it stems off of my ATS thread :lol:

I'm really in love with Tribal's fashion, makeup, & overall aesthetic but not Tribal dance itself. If I were to study Cabaret or Egyptian, would I be allowed to dress that way for performances, or would I have to do Tribal Fusion of ATS & Cabaret or Egyptian? :D
In general, the style of costuming should match the style of dance. When an audience sees a dancer in a specific style of costuming, it is mentally dissonant if they then dance in a different style. Think of it a bit like a dancer in a tutu doing tap dance; it won't bother some people and others will hate it.

The good news is that, depending on what draws you to that style of costuming, there are probably options within the other styles that will give the feel you prefer. What features do you like most in the tribal fusion costuming? Think about how those might translate to other costume styles.

Imeera

I agree with Mahsati. I would be confused! I don't think I would like it as a audience member to be honest. I also really like Tribal Style dress but as I am studying Egyptian I am keeping away from it. I do use some tribal things for practice but if I was to perform I would wear Egyptian style clothing.
I would do what Mahsati said and take the things you like out of ATS and use them in an Egyptian setting. However many of the things I like would not fit at all! However have you seen the dancers of the Golden Era? They have a more "folkloric" almost AT style to them.

This is a famous Egyptian dancer Naima Akef; (please embes properly pleeease:pray:)

Last edited by a moderator:

AyaKara

Everything! The complicated hair styles with the long braids, the heavy make-up, the cholis & pantaloons with adornments. I love Egyptian/ Cabaret clothing too, but the ethnic feeling of ATS costuming really appeals to me. :D

Imeera

Well you can add certain elements of that style into your Egyptian costume however the clothing style of ATS is completely made up. Sure they got much from real cultures, such as Indian, Arabic and "Gypsy" however most of it is created and melted together to give you what you see today. You could go for a more Egyptian feel of clothing like in the video I tried to post that didn't work! I will give you think link... But see how similar the styles are only without the Indian and Gypsy type clothing added in? Also her costume is made for a film so again will be made up to try and reflect history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUnbb6AJVXI

AyaKara

So basically, I should just find & make my own clothing that draws on the influences that I like while still keeping it Egyptian/ Cabaret in style, right? :D

On a side note, I know the song playing in that video! :dance:

Yame

Yes,you have to be a tribal fusion dancer to wear tribal fusion costuming. Otherwise it will just look like you don't know what you're doing.

But it doesn't have to be black and white like that. You can add a few elements of tribal fusion costuming to your Cabaret costuming, or get a "tribaret" costume. Bella sells a few of those, and they don't all necessarily call for a tribaret performance, but keep in mind that if you're going really far off on the "tribal" part of that scale in the aesthetic, that's going to call for some tribal fusion elements in the dancing as well. If it's just a few minor elements, no one is going to mind.

Now if you're doing Egyptian style, IMO the costuming is more specific there. When it comes to the more classic styles of costuming there is a wee bit of wiggle room to add some of this tribal fusion flair to the hair or accessories, but it wouldn't really work at all with the more modern costumes which call for a more specific aesthetic which doesn't match the tribal fusion aesthetic at all.

But then again come to think of it there have been a couple of trends in modern Egyptian costuming that have sprung some things one might think could work in a tribal fusion or goth setting. Costumes with stripes and buckles or with lots of lace. However there's less fabric, less layers, less intricacy than tribal fusion costumes, the overall result is still completely different even though the materials and colors might be the same. In any case it's worth looking into.

With all that being said, keep your eyes and your mind open. I had a similar progression to you as a dancer. In my beginnings I was interested in tribal fusion, but I quickly realized I preferred the actual dancing when it was Oriental or close to Oriental, when it was mostly based on hipwork as opposed to the popping and locking and torso work of tribal fusion. However I continued to prefer the costumes and aesthetic of tribal fusion for a while before colorful, sparkly costumes began to grow on me. Now I much prefer the latter. Perhaps your tastes will evolve in a similar manner.

Kashmir

If you are dancing with a troupe - or in a school performance - NO! (Unless you teacher is clueless or weak). Personally, I need to okay the costumes for students well before a performance - and for group items we have worked out a look (which suits the style) months ahead.

The dance is made up of various strands - the music, the movements, the interpretation, the costumes - part of your education as a dancer is learning how they all fit together. Once you have learnt it - then you might want to try some fusion. But again if you are in a group, it needs to be a group decision.

Nothing to stop you dressing like that in your mundane life though :D

Farasha Hanem

If you are ever fortunate enough to take classes and join a student troupe that participates in Ren Faires, that would be a wonderful opportunity to wear your Tribal costumes. :D

From what I understand, it was the ATS/ITS styles that you have been struggling with inwardly, and not Tribal Fusion. Have you thought of exploring that style after getting down your basics? :think: It's not authentic bellydance, but there does seem to be more room for individual expression within that form. :)

Our troupe is required to own certain basic costuming, such as:

•Cabaret bedlah, skirt, and harem pants for cabaret
•Beledi/Galabeya dress for cane dance (Raqs Assaya, and for "family-oriented" venues)
•Folkloric/fakeloric for Ren Faire performances

Costuming does indeed matter, but as has been said, keep your eyes open for current trends in bellydance fashion (yes, we do have fashion trends as the "ordinary" world does! :D ).

EDIT: Blargh, disregard my question concerning what dance style you've been asking questions about, I just reread the thread title... :doh: :wall:

Last edited:

Jane

Some Ren Faires have strict costume expectations (more historical) and won't want American Tribal Costumes or fantasy outfits. It's best to check with the management about the costume guidelines if you are an official performer and not a patron. As a patron, you can wear what ever you like :)

Fantasy based Renn Faires, Burning Man, parties, SciFi Cons, clubbing, and costume cons are all great outlets for fantasy based costumes.

The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) is a place where you can find a lot of fellow belly dancers who are interested in historical re-creation. Costumes there should aim to be historically appropriate. If it's your first SCA event, no one is going to judge you, wear your best attempt :) Shira has an article about it here:
Belly Dance Costumes for SCA and Renaissance
Or you could ask me about the SCA :)

AyaKara

You guys are all so helpful, thank you! :D

Yame, I think you've officially described to me what tribaret is. Interesting! I'll definitely look into adding elements into my own costumes as time goes on. As for the evolution of our BD careers, I'll definitely keep you updated on how mine progresses over the next few years compared with yours. I'd love to see how they turn out! :lol: I don't really like sequins or sparkle -- never have, but do enjoy fringes and things like that. We'll see :D

Kashmir, my teacher at my college does designate the student performers' clothing, but I think she starts off with a general idea and they all come up with the final choice together. I'll let you know next year! As for my regular life, it's far from mundane -- but perhaps I'll wear a choli to class one day :lol:

Farasha, where is Renn Faires held at and what kind of event is it? As for Tribal Fusion, sometimes I think about it (since I've also always wanted to do ballet, and plan on taking classes for that once I stop taking BD classes [not including workshops of course] in the future), but for the most part I'd just love to do BD. Maybe do some Tribal Fusion occasionally, but I prefer just plain old traditional BD. :)

On a side note, I didn't know that you did cane dance! How long have you been dancing for as a whole, Farasha?

Jane, thank you for the information! I'm going to read the links that you sent me, and ask you about any more questions that I may have. :dance:

Roshanna

You definitely don't have to do tribal to have an 'ethnic' (or slightly goth) look sometimes. Here's one of my favourite costumes, it's from 'Tribal Bazaar', but I'm wearing it with big slit chiffon circle skirts for a vintage 70s oriental feel

Folkloric costuming can also involve lots of black and metallic fabrics and huge ethnic jewelry and heavy kohl :D

I'm another person who was originally drawn to tribal because of the costuming, but I much prefer Egyptian dance, and over time I've grown to love the bling ;)

AyaKara

Roshanna, your costume is so beautiful! It does have that 'ethnic' feel & is something that I would love to wear once I start dancing officially. Your necklace & the jewelry hanging from your top are so nice & exactly the sort of thing that I have in mind. Love it!

Is it possible that you can PM me more looks that you've done like it? Did you make your costume yourself? I'm also interested in Goth Tribal so that's really cool :D

Roshanna

Roshanna, your costume is so beautiful! It does have that 'ethnic' feel & is something that I would love to wear once I start dancing officially. Your necklace & the jewelry hanging from your top are so nice & exactly the sort of thing that I have in mind. Love it!

Is it possible that you can PM me more looks that you've done like it? Did you make your costume yourself? I'm also interested in Goth Tribal so that's really cool :D
I'm really glad you like it :) the bra & belt were a custom order from Yasemin Yildiz at Tribal Bazaar Bras and Belt Sets

And the skirts were from L Rose L. Rose Designs - Online Catalog

I also wear the same bra/belt set with a dark green velvet mermaid skirt, or with olive green harem pants. I've not got any more photos of different ethnic looks at the moment though, sadly :(

red head miriam

another "mixer" here

Hi. I am reviving this b/c it has been on my mind lately. (and I am trying to stop lurking and take part.) I also prefer to dance in a more Egyptian/American Oriental fashion. I also love certain elements to the tribal costuming.

For background, my start in dance was sort of vintage american style - which went well with some tribal style costuming. I loved much of it at first, and still have some of the costume pieces. But as I've gotten more into Egyptian styling, I really don't think those costumes work for it. Some pieces I will keep, b/c I do love them (yes, I love costumes). But the sleeker style works better for my dance style and my body type.

However, I dearly love some of the jewelry pieces I have (I believe they are Afghani). So, I've been thinking of creating a costume that is a mix. Like a trumpet skirt with sort of Afghani belt, and a top that has some more of the jewelry in it. I wouldn't call it an "egyptian" costume. But, as my local dance friend pointed out, no one here would know the difference (really, the local dance scene is VERY fusiony). I think what I have in mind would dance well with some of the egyptian songs I like, it would probably look like a modern version of vintage American costuming.

oops. sorry for the long post. I am excited about combining some things I love. I'd like to hear some feed back/ideas. I really liked the yasemin yildiz costumes. I am looking to make something like that, but a little toned-down (mainly because I am somewhat petite), they are gorgeous.

khanjar

The ladies certainly have more choice than us lot.....

Mind I am in the process of making a costume based on an Ottoman Janisary mail coat, around eleven thousand rings made and joined so far of an estimated 42000 in bright mirror polished aluminum, it should weigh about 6lbs when it is finished, perfectly danceable and certainly lighter than the steel shirt I managed to dance in more than three times it's weight.

Where it fits into Egyptian style, who knows, but maybe okay for local stuff, that is if I use it, as I am also attracted to the tribal style, but I like Egyptian style dance.

Roshanna

Here's a gorgeous print of Fifi Abdo (I wish you could get posters of this image :shok:) rocking a fairly 'ethnic' Egyptian look as a 'maelema' (boss lady ;)). I wouldn't mess with her!

And to shamelessly post another photo of myself, here's me aiming for a similar look in my super badass (and actually quite sparkly) Saiidi dress. My huge earrings and very heavy kohl don't really show in this picture.

SeeJaneDance

Roshanna, that Saiidi dress is GORGEOUS!

It seems like there's a bit more leeway with more folkloric styles, since the Tribal look is somewhat based on folkloric costumes (blended with fantasy?).