DVD RIP OFFS on EBay

Ariadne

It is probably more of interest to her management and record company, but have you tried the contact form at her official web site?

Yeah, I did try that but got nowhere. I'm not surprised though since it's basically a e-mail for teen girls to write fan messages using all caps. I had to wait a month just for them to clean it out so I could. If I had a way of contacting the record company I would.

Belly Love

Wow. They obviously used an image of a Halloween costume for sale. Oh, the model trying to pose like a belly dancer :lol:

Greek Bonfire

A few years ago, I bought a costume from a seller in India using Paypal. I don't know if it was Paypal or eBay but right after that, my account got hacked from someone in India. Then I started getting all kinds of spam e-mail from both eBay and Paypal, but in any event, I discontinued both of my accounts, as I don't think either one of them is very secure.

Samira_dncr

Wow. They obviously used an image of a Halloween costume for sale. Oh, the model trying to pose like a belly dancer :lol:

Bwahahahhahahahaha.

That photoshop job is painful. I love that she's wearing a cheap Halloween costume and watching a Tribal Dance Video. ROFLMAO. Thanks for posting.

Jane

The best way to guarantee the dance artist gets their fair share is to buy directly from them, their website or patronize a reputable belly dance vendor who does. More money going to the originating artist means more money for future videos to be made!

Samira_dncr

The best way to guarantee the dance artist gets their fair share is to buy directly from them, their website or patronize a reputable belly dance vendor who does. More money going to the originating artist means more money for future videos to be made!

I wish I could "like" this (yeah, I've spent way too much time on facebook).

Ariadne

I'm just going to say as a customer I prefer Amazon to direct purchases. I know that the artists don't make as much but I have a garentee of quality and customer service. I've been burned on both when I have gone direct buy. If an artist wants to have people come straight to them they really need to work on gaining a reputaion for both.

Jane

Yikes! I'm sorry you had that experience Ariadne. Want to share what happened? I've had issues with Amazon and their sellers in the past. Buying anything is a gamble these days.

I'll vouch for Ranya Renee. Her DVDs are excellent, and I did have a problem with one order, turned out to be the post offices fault, and it was taken care of immediately with a personal apology. With her sales on Amazon she gets nothing back at all :( But, if you buy her World Dance New York produced videos, she does get a cut when they are purchased at the WDNY site.

Ariadne

Yikes! I'm sorry you had that experience Ariadne. Want to share what happened? I've had issues with Amazon and their sellers in the past. Buying anything is a gamble these days.

I haven't bought direct from World Dance New York yet but when I have bought direct from others there has been a decided difference in quality between what i received and what I received from Amazon direct. Cheeky Girls sent the videos I ordered promptly but some others have taken their sweet time to send anything. The orders I've made through Etsy have had great customer service when something has gone wrong but that hasn't always been the case outside of Etsy.

Amazon Direct gives me quality, prompt shipping, and customer service. If someone wants my business direct they need to build a reputation for all three. I would be happy to hear of those who have done so but I don't have a lot of money to spend so what I do spend goes to whoever I feel will be worth what I paid.

(I will agree that with the Amazon sellers there can sometimes be problems, I've had two myself, but it's no better or worse then e-bay.)

Taslin

I'm a die hard amazon girl. I've bought the bulk of my BD related items from there and always had fast shipping and true to description/picture items.

I also have my own criteria before ordering, you can see sellers history on amazon i go high amount of sales+highest rating and haven't went wrong yet-knock on woood.

I no longer use ebay, while i did score some cool deals there for costumes i used for latin-carribe type dancing, i currently don't even have an account there anymore. That is literally a gamble, and after a major back and forth with many a seller i was done.

Ariadne

But, if you buy her World Dance New York produced videos, she does get a cut when they are purchased at the WDNY site.

It bothered me that I haven't ever tried to buy direct from WDNY, since I have commented on buying direct I figured I really needed to, so I just ordered something from them. So far I have been impressed and I will post again once the item arrives.

jenc

WDNY are often cheaper than Amazon as they do bulk discounts for US and postage free for the rest of us. Kervin is always open to suggestions and knows what he is selling. He posts on Shira dvd grpoiu from time to time

Bast

I really want two of Hannan Sultan's intermediate level instructional DVDs...and I understand she has a problem with the same thing. I've found that the safest bet is to either go directly to a belly dancer's web site and shop from their store, or to buy from Barnes and Noble or Amazon.com.

There are quite a few of her DVDs available to download (paid for legally) and/or streaming online rental from bhuz tv.

According to the site more of the profits go to the teachers this way. You need a fast internet connection though.

Bast

I recently got done myself on ebay. ordered this BELLYDANCING DVD FOR INTERMEDIATE ~LEARN Bellydance New (eBay item 250662824648 end time 16-Apr-11 19:25:13 AEST) : Movies

I can't say the seller did anything wrong, the description was correct and there were no problems getting the DVD. However, the content of the DVD in no way matches the jacket cover. All of the pictures on the cover were of models in costumes.

I didn't know who Hilary Thacker was at that time so I had no way of knowing it wasn't her on the cover. I thought I was getting an up to date modern egyptian style bellydance DVD when what I got was terrible sound quality, awful picture quality and what looked like a beginners class in someone's basement. Sorry to any Hilary thacker fans who read this, but the instruction was terrible also.

jenc

I think that this may be an illegal copy. Ther are 2 different covers on Amazon and neither of them are this one - but on the other hand it might just be beig rebranded after being bought up by a distribution company.as the origianl pictures aern't glamorous.

I bought this for my daughter a few years ago, based on a Shira review and also a Veena and Neena. We didn't like either of them - which just goes to show that even with an esteemed dancer like Shira, you may not necessarily agree.

I think that the review was very old - and if you are listening Shira I think that the date dvd was made or the date of review should be clearly stated as times have moved on.

I know that the poll dates from 2002 - since when 31% have said that they don't like it

Darshiva

Bast - the Hillary Thacker DVDs are excellent... for drinking games, as is the Kili Marti one (Dance Off the Inches or some such BS).

I am including my drinking game instructions for you, get the girls together & have a night of hangovers. Word of warning - do NOT under any circumstances allow anyone to take two or more items on the list for the Kili Marti DVD. One per person only or you'll have alcohol poisoning.

The Bad Bellydance DVD Drinking Game

Take one shot every time she:

• says something stupid
  • says something ill-informed
  • incorrectly labels a move (I know there are various labels/descriptions for each move, so use your good judgement or use it as an excuse to get drunk - your choice!)
  • incorrectly labels a genre
  • performs a move likely to result in injury (please note that genuine moves like turkish drops do NOT count)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Bast - the Hillary Thacker DVDs are excellent... for drinking games, as is the Kili Marti one (Dance Off the Inches or some such BS).

I am including my drinking game instructions for you, get the girls together & have a night of hangovers. Word of warning - do NOT under any circumstances allow anyone to take two or more items on the list for the Kili Marti DVD. One per person only or you'll have alcohol poisoning.

The Bad Bellydance DVD Drinking Game

Take one shot every time she:

• says something stupid
  • says something ill-informed
  • incorrectly labels a move (I know there are various labels/descriptions for each move, so use your good judgement or use it as an excuse to get drunk - your choice!)
  • incorrectly labels a genre
  • performs a move likely to result in injury (please note that genuine moves like turkish drops do NOT count)
:lol::lol: Now I have to get me some baaaaad DVDs - sounds like a heap of fun!
~Mosaic

gisela

Super Moderator
definitely! :lol:

My boyfriend has shown me some hilarious drum "instruction" clips on youtube :lol: omg! Let's just say not only the belly bunnies can be delusional. There are drum-bunnies too...