Egyptian Male Jellabiya for dancing.

Tanglefoot

Green is a holy colour in Islam. Descendants of the prophet Mohammed have the privilege of wearing a green turban (Mohammed's favourite colour). Wearing green might remind people of the Al Khadr, the mysterious messenger of Allah who appears entirely clothed in green.
Al khadr yes, and a curious link with both St George of England and the medieval poem Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

Duvet

Al khadr yes, and a curious link with both St George of England and the medieval poem Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.
Now I'm thinking of Robin Hood wearing Lincoln Green, and the curious history of the Green Children of Woolpit. Too far off topic?

If you are used to wearing black, and that helps you feel more relaxed, then black might be a good choice if the look of the troupe sustains it. If you want to follow Tito's design, because he's a dancer you admire and it will make you feel connected to the dance as he performs it - or you really like the way it moves and you hope it'll look as good on you, then thats as good a reason as any. But don't get hung up over the 'perfect' costume. Its you dancing that's important.

My first Jellabiya was (is) a grey/mushroom colour, which I accesorised with green/brown sash, jacket and headgear. But I was going for the down to earth folk look, rather than anything glitz.

Tanglefoot

The Arab world and Europe have connections stretching far back into antiquity, easily found knowledge I use quite regularly to 'educate' the knuckle draggers with in places where they congregate- Yahoo news mostly but the green man, yet another suggested link with the Arab world, where something does exist as regards in Islam.

And as to St George, those that did the grand tour in the Nineteenth century reported an interfaith shrine to George in what is now Lebanon, where what faiths were represented at that shrine were Christianity, Islam and Judaism, all united through one venerated personage.

But black I always wear black dancing or not, it's good for hiding in plain sight and as to costume, well, it like the dance, I dwell on look good, feel good, I strive for the best I can do.

Last edited:

Aniseteph

For baby steps in performing, absolutely go for black if it makes you feel comfortable - whatever helps give you more confidence to get up there. Once you have a few more performances under your belt maybe it will be time to break out the diamante-trimmed neon numbers.;)