experimental or tribal fusion?

Kharis

And, they are women who would go through extensive training and discipline. They were bound to follow orders or die.

It's interesting to read the dancer's comments in response to critique, eh? ;)
Basically, they were nuns with attitude.

Ariadne

Courtesan Nuns... with tude.

How did I miss the Bene Gesserit belly dance in the description? I found a Bene Gesserit manual for someone who wants to live their "code":
Dance- Learn the basic Ballroom styles, several popular styles, several folk styles and one or two seductive dances. We recommend Arabic-Belly dancing or professional strip tease. One need not be able to tango at the professional level, but basic ability is highly useful. One trait for which the Bene Gesserit are known is their sense of grace and confidence in practically every situation. A sister cannot freeze with terror when the time comes to waltz, and she will be truly powerful if she can strip tease for a man without a hint of fear or embarrassment..​
What!!!:shok:

Kharis

How did I miss the Bene Gesserit belly dance in the description? I found a Bene Gesserit manual for someone who wants to live their "code":
Dance- Learn the basic Ballroom styles, several popular styles, several folk styles and one or two seductive dances. We recommend Arabic-Belly dancing or professional strip tease. One need not be able to tango at the professional level, but basic ability is highly useful. One trait for which the Bene Gesserit are known is their sense of grace and confidence in practically every situation. A sister cannot freeze with terror when the time comes to waltz, and she will be truly powerful if she can strip tease for a man without a hint of fear or embarrassment..​
Perhaps they need a bit of 'Voice'! That'll get 'em back in line.

Aniseteph

Well I suppose what I am trying to assertian is... what makes this woman controversial in the Tribal/Fusion scene?

How do people in this dance genre define their boudaries?
I'd be interested to know too.

If it had been done well would it have been OK? If your costume and music distances you from mainstream "rules" about where to point your crotch, is it OK?

I'm not in that genre, but it strikes me that the main controversy with this clip is how it got the best part of 9 minutes stage time at any event. However minimal the "belly dance" content is, if it was done well I don't think there would have been half as much fuss.

I can see that organisers cannot audition and vet all their performers, especially if it's Open Stage (was this?), but for the sake of the audience and as damage limitation on their event's reputation it makes sense to keep slots short. I don't think anyone gives two hoots about the odd 4 minutes of dodgy dancing, experimental art, or other random nonsense.

IMO she has fanned the flames by posting it herself as a new genre, then responding very badly to the inevitable flak. The way it is panning out makes me wonder if she got in way over her head, and if so what were the organisers thinking?

Aniseteph

Oh wow, they sound fantastic, I wanna BEEE one!

Shanazel

Super Moderator
Hmm, I feel positively unenlightened. I read the first Dune book about forty-eleven years ago and all I can remember is something about giant worms- is that possible? :think:

can't be tribal fusion as there wasn't any tribal in it
Excellent point.

Last edited:

Aniseteph

Yup, giant worms and Sting in the film, and sand (that's all my Dune-related knowledge). I thought maybe the blue things were a worm reference.

lizaj

YouTube - Long Black Veil Performing At Baghdad By The Bay Aug 09

Taking another fusion: belly dance/burlesque labelled.

I enjoyed this: the costuming the moves but can I please just call it burlesque. I honestly believe that by "fusing" with belly-dance moves(?) she restricted herself. Without trying to think of herself as a belly dancer, it would have been better as an un-fettered burlesque performance.

I really cannot take a performance to that music and with the whole "attitude" to have any relationship to belly dance so why bother.
I thought she was a good performer and entertaining so to fuse or not?

PracticalDancer

Hmm, I feel positively unenlightened. I read the first Dune book about forty-eleven years ago and all I can remember is something about giant worms- is that possible? :think:
Um, yeah. That is what the "box fan veils" where supposed to be, I think.

(Good lord, am I geeky enough to actually UNDERSTAND this miserable excuse for a dance?!?)
:shok:

Kira_Majeric

And, they are women who would go through extensive training and discipline. They were bound to follow orders or die.

It's interesting to read the dancer's comments in response to critique, eh? ;)

Very Interesting. I also think the Bene Gesserit would make interesting dancers.....

Zumarrad

It's... really... bad. OK, she is physically strong and that routine at the beginning, apart from the boob explosion, would make you pretty fit if you did it every day.That's what it looks like, a moving meditation. It is mostly quite good. I'm just going to draw a veil over the "veil" and the "belly dance" at the end.

What strikes me here though is the problem of stage craft and context. Look at how she was introduced and how she came on. BLAH. You can't do pofaced experimental meaningful dance coming on like that! Secondly, it looked to be midafternoon maybe at a festival, and people were talking all the way through. The music was far too quiet, there was no lighting... it was a theatre piece (albeit a quite poor theatre piece) plonked in the middle of a fair and it did not work for this reason alone.

If she'd been on a stage with decent lighting and the music cranked up very loud, and an audience in the dark feeling required to whisper at most, it would not have been good but it would have been a great deal better.

da Sage

I just have to say that if your dance has to be prefaced by an announcement that you're "very creative"...it's probably lacking in some way.;)

Frankly, I think this dancer might have gotten a different/better reaction if she 1) had a different body type, or 2) costumed herself differently. But when it comes to bellydance, there really wasn't much of it - then when she flubbed some of the transitions, that didn't help, either.:confused:

I'd love to see this performer try to present someone's else choreography, and see how that turns out. She might be quite a good dancer, but I couldn't tell from her "Bene Gesserit" piece.

Ariadne

It's written by a man Oh wait male famtasy...................
You didn't actually think a woman would write it did you? A woman would just say "if I have to explain it then you won't get it anyway." ;)

I don't think it was her body type da Sage, I think it was the total lack of grace. I have seen some videos of woman her size bellydancing that left me absolutely stunned at their skill. This just was not one of them.

I will be honest and say I am not concerned about her skills or lack of skills. Really, it doesn't concern me. This happens. What concerns me is how she may be effecting the business in the area where she lives. You can probably guess what I mean and since she evidently intends to "start her own bellydance organization" where "No dues are paid membership is free, events are free, classes are free" I am sure someone from there will be bringing it up.

Shanazel

Super Moderator
Well, that was esoteric, Jane. I assume it has to do with Dune worms...

I glanced at that manual: uniform is a leotard and tights with a dress over it. A woman obviously did not come up with this combination. Imagine the problems connected with potty time...

Last edited: