Fans in Egyptian Bellydance?

Damariz

One of my teachers told that fans are not just an American invention but that they were used by some egyptian dancers in the 70's, specifically Nawgua Fuad. Is this true? Are there video clips of her and other dancers using this prop? I know that capes were popular back them but i'm not so sure about fans.

Marya

One of my teachers told that fans are not just an American invention but that they were used by some egyptian dancers in the 70's, specifically Nawgua Fuad. Is this true? Are there video clips of her and other dancers using this prop? I know that capes were popular back them but i'm not so sure about fans.

Yes, Nawgua Fuad used a feather fan and I have a video showing that, however, (a big however) she used it only briefly, a few times for an accent. Nothing like how americans use it. and out of several Nagua Fouad videos I have there is only one with her using a fan.

Marya

jenc

Like anything else, if a prop, with the exception of cane, is used for the full dance it is not egyptian style. Used in the beginning as an attention getting novelty, yes, full routine no

Aniseteph

Also just because an Egyptian dancer once did something (especially in a movie where the dancer is playing a character) doesn't make it a part of Egyptian style dancing. Fred Astaire did a routine hitting golf balls...

It's nothing to do with what you do it with, it's the way you do it! ;)

gisela

Super Moderator
Also just because an Egyptian dancer once did something (especially in a movie where the dancer is playing a character) doesn't make it a part of Egyptian style dancing. Fred Astaire did a routine hitting golf balls...

It's nothing to do with what you do it with, it's the way you do it! ;)

He did an amazing routine with a coat hanger as well (was it posted on this board maybe?) but I can't really say that that is part of authentic "western" dance either.