Feedback on pictures and costume needed

Amulya

I have these new costume items I matched up with a costume, but I am not sure what to think of it. I took pictures and I also would like to know what you think of the pictures:

I don't like the bright red part in the skirt, any creative idea to solve that?

I am thinking of changing my gallery, I lost a lot of weight and look different I think. So feedback on the gallery is also welcome, so I can gather ideas for a new one:
http://www.amulya.info/bellydance/gallery.html

Moon

I like the costume, but maybe a hipscarf can cover a lot?

I like your gallery too! You have beautiful hair!
Maybe a bit more "action shots" would be nice?

gwinity

Ooo, it's a very lovely costume. I see what you mean about the bright red being too bright, but it does bring the red in the bra/headband together, to make it a whole costume as opposed to a bunch of mix-and-match seperates. Covering it with a hipscarf would hide that gorgeous waistband.

I'd suggest leaving it as-is - you might be surprised how many prople really like it. :)

And they're lovely pictures, too. The bright red piece works really well in the sepia shot, and I love the richness of the desert one. How painstaking was it to edit in Photoshop with the sheer veil? :D

Demelza

I think you should leave it...... I don't know why but those rich colours give it a kind of Asian look about it - Indian maybe......personally I like softer colours but on that costume the red works well. xxx

Feria

Costume

Absolutely beautiful! I say leave as is. Diversity is key, and your costume is something I don't see alot of. Be unique, be bold, be different - I love it. And I must agree - I adore your hair!! :)

Shanazel

I like it as it is, too. The difference in value attracts attention to your pretty waist and hips. If you truly dislike it, I suppose you could tone it down with a overlay to blend with the lower skirt, but you'd lose the drama of the red.

Amulya

Thanks for the compliments:) ! I need some action shots, but I am very picky and they always have ugly backgrounds (when they are taken during a performance).
I have another combination with this costume as well:

It is that I have that indian set for a long time and could never match it up with something.

da Sage

I don't like the bright red part in the skirt, any creative idea to solve that?

flick burgandy or brown fabric dye over that part from a toothbrush to dim/darken/mottle the color.

Or "broomstick" the skirt, and dip the top half in a dye bath for vertical stripes.

Or simply dip dye the top half of the skirt.

Yshka

Wow Amulya, that costume looks stunning! I think you should leave the red part as it is, it looks wonderful with the other red parts of the costume, really makes it look like a complete costume that belongs together. That head piece is beautiful with the veil by the way!!!:)

Aniseteph

Another vote in favour of the red!:) I think it looks amazing - Yshka's right, the red brings out the red touches in the rest of the costume. And it would be a pity to cover up that waistband. Trying to dye it might be disastrous, I wouldn't risk it.

Shanazel

At the very least, try the dye techniques on a sample piece of the same fabric. Darkening the red with spots of dye may result in something that looks like drops of dried blood. If you absolutely must change the color, experiment with overlays of semi-transparent chiffon or tulle, either solid pieces or strips or organic masses or whatever. Keep in mind that green and red are complementary colors, and if you cover the red fabric with green overlay, you will dull the color down considerably. I still vote for not laying a finger on the beautiful thing!

Amulya

I will just think it over a bit. I have many skirts to go with it, so no worries ;-)

What about the first two pictures? I am thinking of using one in my gallery, but which one?

Moon

Hm, difficult, I like them both. But I think I'd choose the "colourless" picture. Especially because you don't really like the bright red part of your skirt ;) I think the "colourless" picture looks more mysterious and better with the background.

Demelza

It's very rare to see a costume with so many contrasting colours that doesn't look like a hotch-potch, miss-matched, mess so I still think that you should keep it as it is. As for the pictures I like the Sepia one best x

Moon

sepia, that was the word I was looking for. So that's what I meant by "colourless", lol.

tim ema

Thanks for the compliments:) ! I need some action shots, but I am very picky and they always have ugly backgrounds (when they are taken during a performance)....

Your outfits are AMAZING!

As to your concern about backgrounds, I took the liberty of "messing" with the one you posted as an example (thought it would be viable for you as you are obviously skilled at Photoshop!):

I did it "quick" so the edges aren't as perfect as they should be, but I was just doing it as a demo. I masked off you as a separate element from the background, then did the background in a "sketch" effect, then did a "more blur" twice over. Then I did a solid colour overlay in a dark burgundy with a 10% opacity, then another solid colour overlay - this time sampling the bright red of the skirt and did that as a 5% opacity.
There's still enough of the background left to appreciate the photo is an action shot taken at an actual event, but it makes it less cluttered and distracting.

Just an idea!
:)
AT

elly-beth

Too much red

I think the red is lurvley but then you ar ethe one who has to wear it....since you have the indian theme going on have you thought to try embossing on the skirt (gold or mahogany would look hot) you can get it in packets from SPOTLIGHT and cool iron it on to the cloth.......might work looks good...
elly-