Finally i get the shimmy lol, question though.

After watching the section on shimmies on Amira Mor's DVD and watching and examining and rewinding lol I finally think I really got the shimmy and I know what I was doing wrong,, I was starting up a slow shimmy, left knee, right knee etc, but what id do was when i sped up id go all spastic and just vibrate my thighs which created some kind of shimmy but it wasnt even and im sure i looked weird doing it,, I didnt maintain the left knee, right knee balance.Last nite i decided to keep the proper balance and I got it !:D , im just gonna practice alot more so i can really be comfortable with it.. Now I was just wondering if during a shimmy, are u supposed to "tuck" becuz i know the lower half needs to be loosened up for a proper shimmy and I cant really be loose with a tucked pelvis especially being that im somewhat swaybacked......

Gabi

After watching the section on shimmies on Amira Mor's DVD and watching and examining and rewinding lol I finally think I really got the shimmy and I know what I was doing wrong,, I was starting up a slow shimmy, left knee, right knee etc, but what id do was when i sped up id go all spastic and just vibrate my thighs which created some kind of shimmy but it wasnt even and im sure i looked weird doing it,, I didnt maintain the left knee, right knee balance.Last nite i decided to keep the proper balance and I got it !:D , im just gonna practice alot more so i can really be comfortable with it.. Now I was just wondering if during a shimmy, are u supposed to "tuck" becuz i know the lower half needs to be loosened up for a proper shimmy and I cant really be loose with a tucked pelvis especially being that im somewhat swaybacked......

I'm going through a bit of the same thing. My right leg is ready to go to town and my left leg is saying WAIT A MINUTE. It's easy to slip into just shaking your butt :eek:

I don't know if it's an anatomical thing but I can maintain a tuck using just the lower stomach muscles - I loose it a lot but can get it back. Might be worth a try but I'm not sway backed, so I don't know

Juniper

I try to tuck using my lower tummy muscles. I am also swayback. I'm pretty sure it's because my lower abdominal muscles are pretty weak (much, much weaker than my upper abdominal muscles). However, daily bellydancing is helping to strengthen them. I can't hold it for very long, but I try to keep reminding myself to tuck.