Finding a Teacher

lizaj

We have had a number of queries regarding finding teachers here in the UK. There are a number of associations who have member teachers and this is one way to go. I hope students nderstand that it is difficult for dancers to pass judgement on the teaching skills of individuals for obvious reasons. And in any case the teaching style of one teacher may suit a student and another not.
So try these links and feel free anyone who knows of similar:

Jwaad Diploma teachers:

Bellydance Classes - Find a Teacher

OD's own listing:

Belly Dance Classes in United Kingdom

Northern Arabic Dance Association member/teachers:

Welcome to NADA - Northern Arabic Dance Association

MADN member/teachers:

Teacher Directory

The Raqs Sharki society: they don't list members but they would recommend I am sure.

The Raqs Sharqi Society

ASMED trained teachers:

ASMED Teachers and classes

Not all teachers but you can't beat Shira for information of any kind to do with bellydance;DVDs,costumes, you name it

Belly Dancing: Individual Dancers and Troupes In Europe

Last edited:

lizaj

May I suggest renaming this thread from "Findng a Teacher" to "Finding a Teacher in the UK" ?

I was hoping that people would follow on for their countries....

This was we have a short cut for those asking for teacher names...to show them useful links.

dreamkitaro

thanks for putting together listing of teachers

Hi, Wanted to thank you (even though I am not UK) for posting sites that offer teaching there and those like Shira, who pain-stakingly put together those listing for us :D

Ariadne

I have a friend who lives on the Isle of Wight I would like to recomend a teacher to. I check the links given above but since I'm not that familiar with England it just made my head hurt. Is there anyone nearby I could recomend in good concious to her? She has never bellydanced but does have a degree in dance and really misses it since graduating.

lizaj

I have a friend who lives on the Isle of Wight I would like to recomend a teacher to. I check the links given above but since I'm not that familiar with England it just made my head hurt. Is there anyone nearby I could recomend in good concious to her? She has never bellydanced but does have a degree in dance and really misses it since graduating.

Isle of Wight Bellydance, Belly Dancing Isle of Wight :: Eastern Promise

I don't know anyone to recommend but there's this link above.

Ariadne

Thank you! I will take a look at the link and let her know. From some of the things she has said about performing I think she would really like it.

Tina2010me

finding a dance teacher

I am interested does anyone knows teachers of bellydance or schools of bellydance in Syria?
Thank you .

Caz1971

Belly dancing classes in west of melbourne, australia. Cheap

Hi, ive been learning BD for over a yr or more now on and off. Our local community centres have them every term. I pay just 5 bucks per one hour class, each term goes for about 11 weeks. If u live in melton/sunshine/hillside area in Melbourne and youre interested pls send me a PM.

Thanks
Caz

Darshiva

$5 sounds well below the industry rate.

What are the teacher's qualifications? What are his/her overheads? What size are the classes?

When looking for a new teacher I can not stress the importance of doing your research BEFORE the first meeting. When I first started in belly dance I found a teacher who was near to my home and not too expensive..after almost a year I discovered that she was a fraud, she didn't list any of her own teachers, she claims to be a dance ethnologist but only has an assoc. degree is business administration. She hands out material to her students with her name on them even though a quick google search revels she is not the author...this is what I recommend you look for -

-does the teacher give credit to her own teachers?
-how long has she been dancing?
-does she encourage students to perform or attend other local workshops in which she is not participating?
-does anything come up in a search that she did not herself put there
-best way - ask for references or personal recommendations from others in your local belly dance community!

:)

Happy Hip Drops!

Perse ;)

giolanah

Does anyone know how to find one if I am here in Las Vegas, NV US? Those cites doesn't have an option on those sites from the links you posted. I did find someone I think I like from Meetup though. What questions do I ask and what do I look for to find out if she will teach me what I need to know?

gisela

Super Moderator
Does anyone know how to find one if I am here in Las Vegas, NV US? Those cites doesn't have an option on those sites from the links you posted. I did find someone I think I like from Meetup though. What questions do I ask and what do I look for to find out if she will teach me what I need to know?

On the link Shira posted there are many Las Vegas teachers.
here:
Find Belly Dancing Teachers and Performers in Nevada, U.S.A.! Belly Dance Lessons and Dancers! Search for Belly Dancers!