Flexibility

jenc

I have just joined a gym and done thier health assessment - pretty much as I expected except flexibility. I thought that would be a doddle BUT I came out as poor. You had to sit on the floor with your feet against a sort of coffee table and then reach forward beyond the end of your feet along a scale I got 7" which is at the lower end of poor.

zumba was recommended BUt as a bellydancer I'm one of the more flexible members of class as far as hip twists, shimmies and shoulder shimmies go. And my camels are Ok too.

I was totally shocked.

it can't all be down to my long legs

Darshiva

Just a gut feeling as zumba doesn't exactly do as much for flexibility as - say - yoga AND you're one of the more flexible people in your belly class, I'm gonna go out on a limb here & say they are trying to get more people for their zumba class.

If you're that worried about flexibility, look into a qualified yoga or pilates instructor. Zumba isn't going to do much for you flexibility-wise compared to the aerobic benefits.

Imeera

I understand how you feel, I was the same. It is no bad thing, the legs are the easiest thing to get more flexible. A month ago I used to not be able to touch my toes and now I can almost get my head against my knees. I don't know how they measure it but people have different flexibilities, your spine and hips may be very flexible. But your legs may not be like me. When you stretch down, standing straight with knees slightly bent and bending down to touch your toes, trying to get your head to your knees, how far can you go? I go to yoga and at home I used a yoga move, down facing dog, and a few stretching moves, touching toes like I said before and with legs as far appart as you wish leaning towards each leg and down trying to get my head to the floor, and I can get really far now. I pushed myself further a little every day. It really helps.

I agree with Darshiva, they are probably trying to get people on their class.

Last edited:

Daimona

You had to sit on the floor with your feet against a sort of coffee table and then reach forward beyond the end of your feet along a scale I got 7" which is at the lower end of poor.

zumba was recommended BUt as a bellydancer I'm one of the more flexible members of class as far as hip twists, shimmies and shoulder shimmies go. And my camels are Ok too.
I'd say it is a flaw in their standardized test, which really only measures how far you can reach beyond the end of your feet. Having a good flexibility is much more than that.

I'd rather recommend stretches from yoga and pilates than zumba.
These articles may be of interest for you as well:
Stretching
Stretching and Flexibility - Physiology of Stretching

ETA: Didn't see the other answers until I posted this one. Find another gym as well, or at least track down the most knowledgeable trainer in you gym when you have questions that need to be answered. I wouldn't trust anyone telling me to take zumba lessons to gain flexibility... (if that would be the case, the zumba lessons would something far different from the ones they are giving at my local gym)

Last edited:

Aziyade

I agree that the gym is just trying to ramp up membership in the Zumba classes.

The science of Flexibility is complicated. More is involved with your "inflexible" muscles than just that muscle group. You need a little bit of knowledge as to what muscle groups factor in to the specific area of flexibility you're looking for.

This is a great book with simple and cheap exercises to increase flexibility in various areas:

Amazon.com: Dancing Longer, Dancing Stronger: A Dancer's Guide to Improving Technique and Preventing Injury (9780916622985): Andrea Watkins, Priscilla Clarkson: Books

and this is a great dvd using a specific technique called active isolated stretching:

Amazon.com: Broadway Dance Center: Active Isolated Flexibility and Stretching For Dancers: Michele Assaf: Movies & TV

Cyriine

Personally, for me Yoga and Bellydancing have gone hand in hand, before i practise a new 'move' I do Yoga for a few minutes to relax and stretch.

Yoga Nerd over here :cool:

Aziyade

Personally, for me Yoga and Bellydancing have gone hand in hand, before i practise a new 'move' I do Yoga for a few minutes to relax and stretch.

Yoga Nerd over here :cool:
Cyriine, et al: do you like any of the yoga dvds produced by bellydancers?

Cyriine

I've never heard of any, could you point me in the direction of some please?
That sounds right up my street

Aniseteph

Yup, can't see how zumba would be the obvious choice for flexibility; I smell Marketing Strategy. Maybe their yoga classes are all overcrowded. :rolleyes:

Daimona

I think it's simply called, "Tribal Fusion Bellydance," but I wouldn't know anymore. My daughter keeps taking it over. :confused:
The full title is:
Tribal fusion belly dance with Rachel Brice: Yoga, Isolations and Drills: A Practice Companion

She has also got:
Serpentine - Belly Dance with Rachel Brice: Bellydance Technique & Yoga for Strong, Relaxed & Sinuous Movement

Other instructional DVDs with bellydance and yoga are
Contemporary Bellydance and Yoga Conditioning with Ariellah
Amira's Belly Dance & Yoga For Pregnancy Prenatal Exercise
Mix and Match Fitness Fusion (Ballet, Pilates, Belly Dance, Yoga, Modern Dance) Michelle Joyce, Ruby, Kat Worthington, and Lily
The Yoga of Belly Dance with Rema
Bellydance for Beginners with Suhaila: Fitness Fusion - Yoga Suhaila Salimpour

Farasha Hanem

The full title is:
Tribal fusion belly dance with Rachel Brice: Yoga, Isolations and Drills: A Practice Companion

She has also got:
Serpentine - Belly Dance with Rachel Brice: Bellydance Technique & Yoga for Strong, Relaxed & Sinuous Movement

Other instructional DVDs with bellydance and yoga are
Contemporary Bellydance and Yoga Conditioning with Ariellah
Amira's Belly Dance & Yoga For Pregnancy Prenatal Exercise
Mix and Match Fitness Fusion (Ballet, Pilates, Belly Dance, Yoga, Modern Dance) Michelle Joyce, Ruby, Kat Worthington, and Lily
The Yoga of Belly Dance with Rema
Bellydance for Beginners with Suhaila: Fitness Fusion - Yoga Suhaila Salimpour
Daimona, that's IT!!! :D I thought there was a bit more, but couldn't remember it. Wish the daughter would let me use my own DVD every now and then... :rolleyes: :lol:

Reen.Blom

Serpentine and Ariellah arer my favourites!

In my gym with membership you are free to attend any fitness class be it yoga zumba or aerobics or all of them, makes no difference to what I pay if I have a monthly subscription, so kind of would be pointless to 'promote'.

Sounds like they dont know what they are talking about....